Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: CLEAN UP THE WORLD - CAN WE DO IT IN KNP?
Unread postPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 8:07 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Since joining this forum I have had a chance of reading hundreds of comments on the litter and trash in and around the camps in KNP.
In another thread I brought up the idea of doing something about it on a local basis and following something similar done world wide.

Here are a couple of pages of a document published by "Clean up the World" and that gives an idea of how and why it works worldwide.

With the help of SANParks, local HR, camp managers and staff and fellow formites it is possible to do the same.
- A fixed date every year
- One or more camps a year
- Pull in the schools in and around KNP and have them directly involved

Just a couple of ideas that can come together for an idea and a project for a cleaner national park and for oour future.

Many of us do not live in SA but we all can get together and make it happen.
Any ideas on how it can happen? Thank you all.

Post subject: Re: CLEAN UP THE WORLD - CAN WE DO IT IN KNP?
Unread postPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 8:16 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

:clap: :clap: A great idea!
Locally ...the Boys and Girl Scouts have a 'Adopt a highway' program where each chapter, each year, will clean up a section of Highway in their community.
On the SanParks level it could be easily made into a contest for the local school children to adopt a section of the park ie. ( Lookouts etc. ) and a small sign posted near the site giving credit to that group for the cleanup. :thumbs_up:
The effort is rewarded by acknowledgment..and the signage discourages future littering behavior :hmz:

Unread postPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 8:29 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Must be done in days when the lions, leopards, cheetah and others are away on vacation :lol:

Unread postPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 8:54 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

I know Micetta, but I was thinking of getting the camps cleaned first (inside the camp grounds!) and don't think there would be problem on getting it done.

Unread postPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 8:55 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Thanks for the setting up the topic Andy.
As indicated in the other thread, I will be prepared to volunteer my services (subject to getting accommodation, leave etc)

FGASA Level 1 Guide

Glen Reenen TR

15-18 June: Berg-en-dal

Unread postPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 9:22 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Micetta wrote:
Must be done in days when the lions, leopards, cheetah and others are away on vacation :lol:

I realize that was tongue in cheek MI...but very good point!
In some other posts on the forum peeps were talking of trash and other more disgusting things being left at get out points. With a ranger in attendance a group could clean such places in a jiffy :thumbs_up: then post their 'this site has been cleaned by....' sign and it would be a reminder to future litterers 8)

Unread postPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 9:28 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Of course Lockie and it is not a bad idea at all only not realistic. We contunue to dream don't we. There is always Sanparks to convince and other hurtles to pass, but it is good for us to discuss it and then.. you never know...... :whistle:

Unread postPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 9:53 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Micetta, I'm convinced that it can be done and will try and convince SANParks on the idea.
I see it only as a question of planning / organisation / funding and there are some very able people on this forum who can, with time, put the pieces together.
On the funding part of it I would not involve SANParks funds, those are better spent on the ongoing conservation projects, but then the amounts involved would be minimal and easily put together.

It has to start at some point and I'm going to present SANParks HQ with my idea and see what they thing of it.

Unread postPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 9:58 pm 

You are so right Andy and I really think that all the people who are on this forum feel the same way.
But I think the problem is that the people who are littering and behave like idiots do not care about these things cause they are not really nature lovers like we are. They are just selfish people who just want to see the big five.

I would like to clean the camps, not to close with the lions please :?
When are we going?? :huh:

Unread postPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 10:05 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

you know folks...cost doesn't have to be a hurdle. The trash pickers are volunteers, and working for a good cause. SanParks involvement could be limited to supplying a "volunteer ranger or guide' and transportation to any dangerous locations...(and I did not notice any trash along the roads outside the camps, altho I was looking for other things) and perhaps for a little advertising of said events ( in their best interest anyway)

Unread postPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 11:36 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Well I see there is some interest in this thing and hope to get it together, somehow.
I know that doing anything similar outside camp areas is both very dangerous and would create quite a few problems to Sanparks, but if it is all done within camp/safe areas it shouldn't be a hassle at all.

While staying at Letaba I saw a daily procession of students come and were given lectures, by the local rangers, on wildlife and conservation. This happened in Letaba, Lower Sabie, Olifants and even at Pafuri picnic spot. Why not get the schools envolved and make it part of their day trip to KNP.

I am just trying to put ideas together and as I see it happen here, with my 7 year old son, it really is something to think about.

A school takes part of the initiative and on a given date has a day excursion in KNP. 1st stopover at a picnic spot collect the trash in separate bags (paper - plastic - metal) - 2nd stopover at a camp and do the same with wildlife lecture with a specific part on "Keep our world clean" - Lunch and at the end of it all prices for students and school.
Over here prices are given out to the group, normally composed of 5 students plus 1 adult, according to the amount of trash they collect.
T/shirt for all the teams and prices are school books, pencils, pens etc etc

Costs: Bags for the trash, tough gloves (not safe to do it without), tshirts, drinks and lunch. Plus of course the presents. Considering the costs of these articles in SA I'd say it's possible and I'm the first online on contributing with all the printouts/posters needed and tshirts necessary. Can also start a fund raising initiative here, at my son's school, for funds needed for the rest.
Sanparks would only have to provide with one/two rangers for the picnic spots and camps and of course would have the collected litter to get rid of at the end of the day.

I am a dreamer but I also see the effect that something like has had on my son and he is learning, very fast, that world is nicer if CLEAN.

Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 8:39 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

from my side, there shouldn't really be any costs involved. Volunteers do it for free and pay for their own accommodation. I wouldn't expect Sanparks to discount the accommodation (its a trip to Kruger after all).

Maybe the transport could be an issue.

A sunset or night drive or braai after the event sponsored by someone (not necessarily Sanparks) to say 'thank you' would be quite nice too. I guess this should be organised only after the event is organised though.

FGASA Level 1 Guide

Glen Reenen TR

Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 9:35 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

@Rumuruti
Quote:
I am a dreamer
The world need dreamers, especially the ones with common sense and feet on the ground :wink:

Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 9:59 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Morning Micetta, well I like dreaming but I also like making my dreams become reality. I know myself well enough and I'm more than convinced my idea will work one way or another.

Just for your info I already have sponsors for the t shirts, posters and a certain quantity of gloves and this makes me even more convinced of my dream.

Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 10:05 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

I imagine it wouldn't be too hard to find a corporate to sponsor a bush braai or drive after the event to say thank you to the volunteers?

FGASA Level 1 Guide

Glen Reenen TR