Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Database of stock photos for SANParks - a project?
Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 3:31 pm 

Taken from here:- Websites stealing our photos from these forums

Jumbo wrote:
Maybe there is something positive that can come from all of this :D ….it gave me an idea for a project that will a great initiative for the Virtual Honorary Rangers to manage…because everything will happen in the virtual arena.

Yesterday I noticed that there are loads of websites advertising our national parks and its facilities….but actually very few have photos of the accommodations.
I believe the reason for this is because there are plenty of stock photos of lions in Kruger, for example, but very few photos up for sale of the accommodation in Kruger.

I, like I’m sure many other regular visitors, have some great photos of the various accommodation in different parks…and many of these photos are much better quality as my old photos Krugerpark.com “stole”.
I’m however not in the business of selling my photos…. photography is just a hobby for me and I have no intention to go change that. I will however gladly donate my photos for worthy causes.

What about the Virtual Honorary Rangers starting a photo database with photos of the accommodation in the parks and selling these photos as a fundraising initiative for project chosen by the forum….forum members can then donate their photos to the VHR ….obviously following all the legal avenues …handing the right to the photos over to the VHR??…getting model release form where there are people in the photo, etc.

Hi Jumbo (and forum members)

Thanks for this great idea!

Glenn Phillips Managing Executive:Tourism Development and Marketing,
has agreed to this idea in principal, but would like an outline of how we would plan to approach managing a project such as this.

In order to ensure we present a perfect plan, everyone's input with regard how best to manage this will be most welcome. Please share your ideas, the pros and cons etc.

A roaring lion does not catch any prey - African Proverb

Post subject: Re: Database of stock photos for SANParks - a project?
Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 6:47 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Good evening to you,

Its a topic I've been following right from the start and Jumbo made a very good point on the possibilities of such a project.
Great to see something is moving and hope it works out for Sanparks.

A few ideas from my side:
a) Pictures inserted in such a database should be freely donated to Sanparks
b) Sanparks should be free to sell or give free use of such images for the sole scope of promoting itself and national parks
c) Any money coming from the sale or use of such database should be solely for Sanparks projects
d) Sanparks would only be obliged to cite the name of the photographer and its own logo/name for copyright reasons.

I personally agree with all the above points and see an excellent marketing and fund raising instrument.

Thank you all again and hope to be able to contribute in any way.

Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 6:50 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Great idea! :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up:

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit." Aristotle

Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 7:05 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Quote:
c) Any money coming from the sale or use of such database should be solely for Sanparks projects
and who is going to decide which projects?

Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 7:12 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Evening Micetta,
Projects can be decided by the members of this forum or by the Honorary Rangers, who already have a pretty good overview of the material available.
Don't think Sanparks would have a problem on this as any amount coming from such a project would be solely for their benefit.

Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 8:45 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

We would not like to see the money finish in some hotel project, would we? :twisted:

Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 8:50 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Absolutely not. An idea would be to choose projects to fund on a yearly basis and all would go for that/those specific ones.

Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 8:54 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

:thumbs_up: :D

Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 8:07 am 
For the forum member I believe one of the biggest pro’s is we can make a donation to the VHR’s without it costing us a cent….the photos currently lying on all our hard drives can be put to good use. 8)
It might however create quite a bit of admin for the VHR’s! :twisted:

Regarding the projects the funds get allocated to….for me personally, it will be great to have some input on this…knowing the fund do not disappear in a big hole.
We could possible make it that forum members propose projects and the VHR can also inform us of current projects that need funding…and then give the ‘mites the chance to vote for a project…possible every year? (as RUMURUTI also suggested)
To make this a bit more fun…maybe there can be a type of forum award every year for the ‘mite who’s photos generated the most income?

I’m not at all clued up with the legal issues surrounding stock photos and the creating and hosting of such a database….it will be great to get input from people who are familiar with this…Madach? :whistle:
I suppose the VHR will create their own website anyway…considering the sphere they are operating in….so suppose the photos can be accessed on this website?

One option for the hosting of all the photos, which will probably make it cheaper and easier to handle (I’m however not sure how plausible this is :? ):
People can register on Flickr…where they can have free accounts. On Flickr anybody can create a group whereto people can post the photos on their stream. The groups can be public (anybody can view, join and post), public members only (anybody can view, membership has to be approved, and only members can post.) and private groups (group pool is not visible to public, only invited people can join and post).
In the groups you can also create discussion topics.
What I was thinking is that the VHR’s create a group (possible public members only). After all the legal formalities have been done, people are allowed membership of the group and can post their photos to the group. The admin of a group have access to all the different sizes of a photo that has been posted to the group….small, medium, large and original….even if the poster of the photo uses Flickr’s security measure that aims to prevent photo theft.
Discussion topics can be created for say every park and its camps and an index can be set up to make it easy to access the relevant topic. When people post a photo to the group pool they also add a thumbnail size photo to the relevant discussion topic. The group admin can then add a price for the photo above the thumbnail. Links to this discussion topics, containing the thumbnail photos, can then be placed on the website of the VHR’s.
One snag….if somebody click on the thumbnail in the discussion topic it takes them to the photo page on the stream of the original poster….maybe on can create a standard description to be add to these photos…something like “this photo is the property of the SANParks VHR’s …contact them at. XXX”
I honestly do not know if the above will work and if Flickr will accept a group aimed at selling photos…there might be a rule against this….one will probably have to contact their administrators to clear this up.

Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 8:26 am 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

There are forum members who have stock photo sites. Maybe consult with them on how to go about setting up a stock photo site or photo area.

IMO if SANParks thinks this is a good idea for them to generate income or VHR then the hosting should be done by them.

If you donate a photo to them that they sell, make sure you can still use it yourself.

Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 9:01 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Blegh... If it does happen (unfortunatley I do not have time to spend on this project) then just let me know. Hosting is not a problem.

Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 9:31 am 

francoisd agreed this needs to be seen to that you can still use your photo although it has been sold and although donated you should still get the recognition for it so your name still gets cited by the purchaser. :wink:

Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 5:00 pm 
As with any other donation I make to SANParks, I would not insist on my name being published so that I can get credit….but that’s just my personal opinion…others might feel different about it.

francoisd wrote:
If you donate a photo to them that they sell, make sure you can still use it yourself.

Although I’m not at all knowledgeable about these issues, I’m sure that even if your photo is sold you can still use it for private purposes? :?

Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 5:09 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Yes Jumbo, it doesn't really matter to e either to have my name mentioned but think that amateur photographers would like to have it.

I really care that it would be for the sake of a project an that it works out one way or the other.

Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 5:36 pm 
RUMURUTI wrote:
I really care that it would be for the sake of a project an that it works out one way or the other.

Good point, RUMURUTI ……that is what it all should be about :thumbs_up:

Not to oversimplify things, but maybe people should view the photos they donate to this in the same light as the stuff they donate to raffles where it gets sold to collect money for a worthy cause. You will obviously not donate your best and favourite golf club because that is yours…you will also not donate the one that is bended because nobody will buy it…so you donate the one in-between, the one that you do not use that much but others might find it useful …. and your say farewell to it because you know the money from its sale will help others? :wink: