Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Cricket 2010 - lets make it even better!
Unread postPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 11:06 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Topic split from here

OK DD. Challenge accepted. I have automatically committed to a monthly donation for the next 6 months as a result of the Rat pack endeavors. From September, I will roll this over for the next 6 months in support of uncontaminated KNP water holes (or better known now as Cricket 2010).

Not a corporate, just a private individual.

Please could I ask though, that a little bit more attention is paid to the cybermites this time. We (well I) feel that in the excitement of the day for those that could be there in body, we, who were only there in soul, eventually got overlooked.
So many pleas for information went unheard.

Jane

Last edited by DinkyBird on Sun Mar 29, 2009 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Splitting topic

Post subject: Re: Cricket 2010 - The challenge is on
Unread postPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 11:49 am 

:clap: :clap: Jane...you are a star ! :D

Unread postPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 12:22 pm 

Quote:
Please could I ask though, that a little bit more attention is paid to the cybermites this time.

Jane, I know that you needed more information about the 'Silent Auction' that day.
Any other areas that you think we need to pay more attention to ?

Unread postPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 2:32 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Matthys - my thanks for "listening".

Yes. A big problem for me was that as the excitement got higher, the cybermites were asking who was batting and bowling etc. By that time no pics were being posted and the people that were there forgot us. We so wanted to join in from "space" and eventually no-one was really posting anymore.

Maybe, someone/s could be dedicted to looking after us next year please?

Yes also, you are right about the silent auction. Some of us (I think) could not participate. My own personal experience for example was that I thought to PM someone there and I chose JenB. Trouble was (not her fault) she stayed on and did not get my PM until a few days later.

This is going to be a problem though as people bidding on the spot will be better positioned, especially if cybermites have slow connections. Maybe someone else can come up with a suggestion so that we can take part? Perhaps reserve some of the items just for cyberspace?

My pennyworth. I love being part of this forum although I mostly just read. The people are so warm. Especially the regulars.

Sorry this is such a long post. R1000/month for DD and his mob!!!!!(from Sept) and DD leave the waterholes to nature please!

JB

Unread postPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 2:49 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Location: Johannesburg - where they cut down trees and name streets after them.
Hi Jane,

I can try to answer a few of your queries. :wink: I know all to well how frustrating it is to sit at home not knowing what was going.

Somewhere between home and the cricket some software on my laptop become corrupted and I was not able to connect to the internet :( and at the end of the day, we only had DB's laptop to blog from. That brave little PC was running all day and we took turns sitting behind it. In between the blogging, other things also had to be done like the having the polls set up and other stuff. EJ did give me pics to post about the silent auction things but there just was not time. I also apologize for not getting to your PM sooner, as I said that little PC was under a tremendous lot of stress and I only found the notification in my inbox when I got home. I'm sorry for my part in your disappointment, from my side I'll try my best to make up for it next year. :wink:

Forgiven? :D

Unread postPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 3:07 pm 

Hi Jane,

I sincerely apologise that you feel so let down by the effort to bring this year's cricket to those not physically there.

Jen has explained what happened. Besides her laptop being difficult, BGS had an emergency on the way to the cricket and could not attend, leaving us two laptops short.

We rely on folk to volunteer to blog, as it is their personal airtime that is used.

We ended up with just two laptops, the SAParks one the webcam relayed from. (They had awful problems on and off during the day trying to stay connected.) And we had my laptop. The connection was extremely slow, so making a post, downloading pics etc took ages and ages. I did not even open my PMs on that day to try and lighten the load.

When requested we actually turned the webcam onto the silent auction table for a good while, and when I eventually saw the pics it downloaded I was surprised at how few had come through.

We all had to be out of Skukuza camp at 6pm, so we left the sports ground in time to get back to the camp, wash up and be out of the camp before the gates closed, back on our way to the evening function. I did try and sms back that the game was over as soon as I knew during this time.

In this time the webcam had to also be moved.

Once at the dinner, the webcam was set up, but that same pc was needed to play the music for the forumdales.

There has never been blogging from the dinner, as Kruger are the hosts for this.

We will make every effort next year to ensure we have more folk to help with the blogging. But! do hope all of you will be there anyway!!

It's not too late at all. You just don't yet know what you are capable of. Mahatma Gandhi

Unread postPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 5:14 pm 

Location: Johannesburg - where they cut down trees and name streets after them.
.... and remember, we were out in the bush and it's a wilderness out there! :twisted:
DB when you start the list for Cricket 2010, please include me! :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 5:36 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

OhDear! I feel like a right royal "dung". Thanks the both of you for trying. I had no idea that the technology failed and that the intentions were good.

So very sorry! I just so badly missed being part of it all.

Jane

Unread postPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 5:42 pm 

Jane, please, no need to feel bad for bringing up what you did! It is something we must endevour to make sure we improve on :thumbs_up:

Unless one has been there, one cannot be expected to know how it works.

Would love you to join us next year at Skukuza :D

It's not too late at all. You just don't yet know what you are capable of. Mahatma Gandhi

Unread postPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 6:13 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

I've been thinking very hard on how to include our cyber mites in the auction...The online bidding is a PC issue and not an easy fix, however the problem occurs when trying to get the goods to the perspective bidders(from all over the world),with the logistics of posting in snail mail, who will take on the responsibility, the expense?? :shock:
The only thing I've come up with to date is for the perspective bidder to have a 'bidding buddy' at the cricket who will take care of these issues for them. Example...Someone from Durban contact like member from Durban or area who will be attending and ask for their assistance. This idea will work for Saffies and those from closer countries like the Netherlands etc. Overseas mites??? Not sure :roll:

Unread postPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 6:22 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Lockie,

I like this. Personally I am prepared to foot the postage and collect COD. However I would need someone to trust me and bid on my behalf. Also would not want to impose on someone having to go to a Post Office here (Notorious Q's).

Alternatively for me. Goods an be kept in KNP ready for collection on my next visit.

Unread postPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 6:32 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

JB...When CC and I were there last year there was a Mite who bid successfully on a large bottle of wine that was kindly stored there for her next visit. Most of the items were non perishable so time wasn't a factor. We had maple products from Canada and were worried about the heat, but all worked out fine :dance:
Perhaps next year we could post a thread of willing peeps from different regions to contact and set things up :hmz:

Unread postPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 6:37 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

I am sure that by the time cricket 2010 comes around cybermite bidding will have been worked out.

thanks Lockie, CC

jane

Unread postPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 6:41 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

I also think that there should be a 'suggested' starting bid for items as per their donators. Last time a couple of items were removed because the bidding was wayyyy too low. :roll:
Here's to the planing of Cricket 2010 :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 8:58 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Lockie wrote:
I've been thinking very hard on how to include our cyber mites in the auction...The online bidding is a PC issue and not an easy fix, however the problem occurs when trying to get the goods to the perspective bidders(from all over the world),with the logistics of posting in snail mail, who will take on the responsibility, the expense?? :shock:
The only thing I've come up with to date is for the perspective bidder to have a 'bidding buddy' at the cricket who will take care of these issues for them. Example...Someone from Durban contact like member from Durban or area who will be attending and ask for their assistance. This idea will work for Saffies and those from closer countries like the Netherlands etc. Overseas mites??? Not sure :roll:

I did suggest that, Lockie, but somehow it got lost in the posts.....Mgoddard sent me an sms, but otherwise no one took up the suggestion.

Have you read the gate leaflet? Do you KNOW the regulations?

Completed over 5 years in Kruger in my caravan.

If I were normal I wouldn't be me!