Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  Page 4 of 4
 [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
 Post subject: Re: Speeding in the Parks fund raising idea
Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:49 am 

Thank you for clarifying that DB :thumbs_up:

It does go back in time hey, but speeding and type of activities and products on offer in National Parks are just as relevant now as they were back then.

This project certainly did get much support to start with and I was even surprised by some of the people that were supporting it. Just shows, mites are sensible people who will look at at every project on its own merits.

I know only too well the amount of research and homework that goes into any project. If you fail to do the initial research the project will just be rejected or end up back at the drawing board like one is at present.

Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:04 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

:lol: See this discussion ended at about the same time the hotel discussion started. Could be one of the reasons why focus was shifted and perceptions/convictions changed for some. :hmz:

Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:19 am 

And some of the posters here are no longer members of the forums, so not fair to talk on their behalf now; and also a sign we need to clean up some old topics here, this is just one of many 'projects' that never took off :lol:

It's not too late at all. You just don't yet know what you are capable of. Mahatma Gandhi

Last edited by DinkyBird on Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
grammar

Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:24 am 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Location: Johannesburg - where they cut down trees and name streets after them.
We can always look at running the project. :)

Should you guys feel that this is still relavant, please come up with a proposal and nominate a person who will be prepared to run it under the VHR wing and let us have it?

Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:31 am 

At this point in time I am opposed to an activity like this in a National park with dangerous animals but I cannot speak for anybody else :wink: who might be interested in running (cycling) with this idea.

Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:37 am 

Location: Johannesburg - where they cut down trees and name streets after them.
Good point Duke. :thumbs_up:

It might be wise to get wider members input before we as forum decide to run (cycle) with it. :wink:

Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:45 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Oryx wrote:
Firstly, thanks DB for allowing this issue to be debated for a few weeks and BH, your initiative is to be welcomed, but I have certain reservations. I am rather new on this forum but please allow me to rush in where “angels” fear to tread (excuse the pun)!

Put yourself in the place of a visitor enjoying the park for all the right reasons and being confronted by a group of cyclists on the main road, albeit accompanied by official vehicles. It would be a shock to the system (I know this is intended). This will go against the grain of everything one knows, or has heard, about the park and I honestly believe a park ethic will be compromised and will create a serious precedent. What happens when other fundraisers want to do something similar in future? Everyone on this forum is passionate about our KNP and would like to assist but please think about it and don`t do this, however well-intended – let`s just not go there.

Can we not find other ways to raise awareness? I like EJ`s ideas and perhaps we can think creatively to enhance those ideas. Gate receptionists must be trained to specifically point out all rules and not merely dish out a permit. Hon. Rangers and others have negotiated sponsorships, etc, in the past. I am rather ignorant but can sponsorships not be found to flash an ad on TV regarding KNP rules without resorting to bicycle rides on public roads in KNP. Why not some other activity outside Kruger or whatever? BH, please do not think I am knocking your idea. I merely have a problem with the method. Education, yes, it always helps, but I fear most of the serial offenders, especially those from rural areas, will probably neither know nor care about such an initiative. Their objective is getting from point A to B for either business or other reasons. How many "drive alive" campaigns have there been countrywide, and yet?

The great majority of visitors do not speed. The culprits are usually the ones transporting goods, taxis – especially in the north, those heading for Moz and sadly some Sanparks staff members. We all know where the main problem areas are, especially during holidays - Punda/Pafuri, Punda/Shingwedzi and Phalaborwa/Giriyondo. Surely KNP management can deploy more resources in those areas when required. Sanparks received huge revenue from the ivory sale which can be used where necessary. When all is said and done, this whole issue is entirely the responsibility of Sanparks. What is required is the will to enforce it.

I have to agree with Oryx on this one, especially the second and last paragraphs. It would certainly destroy my holiday in Kruger if I came across a group of cyclists and support vehicles on the road on which I was travelling and I honestly don't think that such an initiative would make the slightest difference to the speeding that goes on in the park - mainly for the reason that Oryx points out - the message will only impact on those who don't speed. The ones that do speed think that they have a right to do so. Nothing is going to change this. I fear the precedent that would be set and I fear for the future of the parks as I and others have said in other topics. I entirely agree that the issue of speeding is the responsibility of SANParks and I think that if there is top be public intervention it should be in the form of approaching SANParks with regard to enforcement of the speed limit.

Unread postPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:57 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Okay, so BunnyHugger is to blame for the initiative that will be going on in another park? :twisted:
(Tongue in cheek!)

But seriously - I for one am opposed to cycling events in any of the parks. Don't think I need to repeat
the reasons as all has been said about it.

Although there were some excellent ideas what could be done with the funds raised in such an event. :clap:

And if radar guns are too heavy on workforce, steady speed traps not effective as everybody knows
where they are located at, why not mobile speed traps that get moved around regularly. Probably because
of the fear that they might get stolen or trashed... :roll:

Unread postPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:13 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Duke Ellieton wrote:
At this point in time I am opposed to an activity like this in a National park with dangerous animals but I cannot speak for anybody else :wink: who might be interested in running (cycling) with this idea.

I agree with Duke - I can not support an activity like this taking place in a National Park. There has to be another venue where this event could take place to raise funds and awareness for this good cause.

No to Hotels in Kruger

Every time I get the news that another Rhino has died, a piece of me dies too - Edna the Brave

Unread postPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:19 pm 

Guys, no one is talking about this particular project being 're thought' of - as I said before many who were involved in the discussion four years ago, are not even on the forums. :wink:

In actual fact the topic should be dumped it is so old. :D

It's not too late at all. You just don't yet know what you are capable of. Mahatma Gandhi

Unread postPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:22 pm 

Award: Angel of the Year Award: Small Parks Promoter of the Year (2012)
DinkyBird wrote:
Guys, no one is talking about this particular project being 're thought' of - as I said before many who were involved in the discussion four years ago, are not even on the forums. :wink:

In actual fact the topic should be dumped it is so old. :D

JenB wrote:
We can always look at running the project. :)

Should you guys feel that this is still relavant, please come up with a proposal and nominate a person who will be prepared to run it under the VHR wing and let us have it?

Unread postPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:24 pm 

And no one has come forward - not here, nor to the VHRs :wink:

Unread postPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:40 pm 

Award: Angel of the Year Award: Small Parks Promoter of the Year (2012)
Maybe we should give it more time :wink:

Unread postPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:57 pm 

Considering no one has come forward to relook this particular project, this topic will be locked.

If anyone would like to rehash the original proposal here and is absolutely serious about going through all the steps, obviously starting with bringing it first to the forum members and VHRs, they can PM me, or any VHR, and we will either reopen this topic, or start a fresh one. :D

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4