Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Suggestion for a new FORUM INNITIATIVE
Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 12:11 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Ok guys I apologise for the lengthy post but an 8 year old kid gave me one hec of a plan (At least I think so) but it's going to take a while to explain.

I was reading the topic about 110th birthday celebrations and as I drove past Skukuza area a week or so back I was reminded of that same topic by the litter that was laying next to the road.

I said something in the line of "Look at the litter. Its a pitty" So he asked me if we cant pick it up and I explained that we cannot get out of our car. He then simply replied "Thats not a problem I will pick it up with my crocodile."

Now before WTM makes his remarks again ;) "Crocodile" is a toy he has. It is a little green crocodile head at the end of a stick with a handle that you press and the crocodiles spring loaded mouth opens and closes. He was saying he could grab the rubbish with crocodiles mouth and retrieve it without getting out his car.

Thats when I thought "What if we can develop a slightly stronger and slightly extended version of that crocodile whereby we can pick up rubbish next tot he road." At least that rubbish that is reacheble from the road where you dont need to go off...

One would not have to climb out the car and it can be "marketed" as a forum cleanup campaign.

I havn't thought of logistics and design or anything so I am simply throwing it out there. You know... an identified forum member (yellow Ribbon) cleaning up the park.

In my expereince you get lost in the maze of things if you do not have identifying traits. People overlook you. We as a forum should start thinking about little projects like this that identifies us. This one in particular is effective and "catchy" and reasonably easy to impliment. Call it something to get our name out there and make us visible.

Ok now you can shoot down my plan... But thats my 8 year old mindboggelingly clever idea...

See it even made me come up with a new word...

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 2:03 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Excellent idea, Baffers! :clap: Is this the sort of sturdier tool that you are thinking of? It's widely available in the USA, but perhaps not in the RSA? Good luck with getting the powers that be to accept this super idea!!

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 2:17 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Thanks arks! I already started using y powers of pursuation *SPELLCHECK* on the company in the US ;)

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 2:22 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Also please not ethat I typed beter than I typ eon the forum...

Post subject: Suggestion
Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 2:23 pm 

That also sound like a good idea to me!! I always want to get out and pick up the rubbish but am always afraid that somebody's going to put me on the gallery of shame.. :redface: It makes you wonder how much money Sanparks can save by stopping to hand out those brown paper bags at the entrance gates, cause it doesn't seem that anybody is actually using them. No I'm just being sarcastic, but maybe they should hand out crocodile scoopers at the entrance gates instead... :wink:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 5:32 pm 

I think it is a good idea to make people more aware of the effect of littering. Picking up after "mors jorse" is only treating the symptoms and not the causes. Unfortunately the process of littering goes far beyond the borders of the park. We just have to look at the littering along our roads and in and around our towns and cities. We have a lot of education to do to teach people not to litter. It stars at a place called home. I think we should think of a way to educate against littering

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 6:14 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Although making people aware of the effects of littering is a good idea and needs to be done it isnt within the capabilities of the forum to do that. And neither will it remove the litter that is there and always will be there.

We dont want to launch a national multi-billion rand campaign here. The idea is a simple thing that we as non SANPARKS staff can do which will assist SANPARKS and beautify our parks.

Something simple that is the forums "project" if you like.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 6:51 pm 

I think that cleaning up without trying to educate is a wasted effort. If we want to do a physical cleaning up operation it will have to be done in close co-operation with SANParks. Maybe something in the line of what the HR guys are doing? In the process of cleaning up there could be education as well.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 7:04 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Ja... I tell you what. Why dont you run that project... While not being paid to do it and having a full day job you can coordinate a project of education and massive full scale park cleanup.

The rest of us will do what we can as volunteers. You dont need to pick up any rubbish. You can leave it to the guys that feel they want to make a difference... Small as it might be while being on holiday.

Maybe you can take a look at this thread.

It isnt our job to educate people. We can do our little bit and help to clean things up.

Our idea is to be helpful and have some fun in our spare time with something that we love.

Perhaps I am ignorant and you have an extreme passion for education. I have a passion for a clean park.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 7:21 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

I think it's a great idea and even better because an 8 year old came up with an idea that us adults didn't think of :roll:
Could also use it to keep muskateers in order :lol:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 7:34 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Freda wrote:
Could also use it to keep muskateers in order :lol:

I tried to keep WTM in order with much heavier equipment than a crocodile clampy thingy
But then again I am not a gurl... I saw him go week in the knees when some angels came by.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 8:00 pm 

Sela, Baffers

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 9:46 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Baffers -- great idea :clap: :clap:
Do you think long braai tongs would work ? We all take those to Kruger :lol:
Otherwise have a look at the medical supply places -- those that rent crutches, etc -- I'm sure they have a tool for picking up dropped objects, but don't know how long, strong, etc it is.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:00 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

I am looking into some stufff kindof... Obviously there has a to be a bit of a buy in before I can get going with that kinda stuff so I will wait a while with alternatives.

I was looking for a telescopic one that one could extend to different lengths. Havnt found one yet.

Even better I could wangle someone to sponsor us a few (hundred) hehehe

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 8:01 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Good idea Baffers..I'm prepared to help in keeping our park clean but really - people do need to be educated about dropping litter.
Where I live in Fourways it is abolutely disgusting the amount of litter on the roadsides.