Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 8:42 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

I can't help thinking that Forumites signing such a pledge would be a bit like wetting yourself in dark trousers. It might give you a warm feeling but will anyone notice! Surely it should be a "done deal" that Forumites will toe the line.

There are two types of offender: The ones who don't care and the ones who don't realise. The latter are the ones we should be targeting. The video loop is a great idea but it will have limited visibility. To supplement it how about a car window sign some thing like this and leaflets that echo the words of the video loop that could be handed out to rule-breakers?

Supplies of the leaflets could be kept at the gates and shops and the car signs could be purchased.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 10:11 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Birder of the Year (2013)
rayb wrote:
I can't help thinking that Forumites signing such a pledge would be a bit like wetting yourself in dark trousers. It might give you a warm feeling but will anyone notice! Surely it should be a "done deal" that Forumites will toe the line.

:lol: :lol:

Well said!

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 11:04 am 

Hey there fellow 'mites.

Wild Garden Man ( :lol: ) has a point.

There are only two types of offenders. The "don't know type", we can work with and adjust their errant ways.

The "don't care" type are the ones that need to be expelled from the park. These are the dangerous ones.

Having said that, the few that do obey the rules are not going to change the minds of those who don't. Leading by example certainly did not stop people from protruding from their vehicles and I had some very mixed reactions to my requests and or orders to "get back in that car" whilein KNP last week. Neither did my slow travelling speeds stop the speedsters.

The problem as I see it is this.

We can sign all the pledges we like and it will have no effect. We, the members of this forum, know the rules so we have NO EXCUSES. Therefore we abide by them because we know and because we care.

During my stay, we went from Skukuza to Tamboti, past Satara, up to Balule, Olifants Letaba and then back down to Lower Sabie and finally Croc Bridge.

We also had an impromptu visit to Skukuza from CB. Fair to say we travelled a great distance and on many roads?

I never saw one speed trap or one official in any capacity out there. The loons out there just did what they dam well liked and they mostly got away with it.

It is precisely this type of behaviour that gave rise to my first comment in my trip report.

Do we have a right to see KNP or should some qualifying criteria be put in place to weed out the "bad element"?

I have a few pitures of loony bahaviour and will post them sometime very soon.

When I told one particular tourist that protruding from the vehicle was both dangerous and illegal, he was very unphased about it when I said I would be posting his picture on the gallery of shame.

His response was "I'm just sh!tting myself for you to do that'.

He cared not at all that he was in fact breaking the rules.

I reported him at Olifants and would love to know what the outcome was of the report.

Conservation is not an option.
It's imperative.

Leave KNP alone. Go build a hotel someplace else. Reserves are for the preservation of wildlife.

Think Pink. ..

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 11:10 am 
Guys I'm going to leave the decision to pledge or not to pledge up to you entirely...

Neds will be ready if you choose to go the pledge route anyway. If you choose not to, that's fine too.

If you guys do decide that you would like a pledge signed and hung in reception of the parks, then between yourselves, decide on what you want it to say and then let me know - I'll put it through to Nedret.

:)

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 12:40 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Birder of the Year (2013)
BunnyHugger wrote:
Wild Garden Man ( :lol: ) has a point.

Pasop vir jou.
(Watch out) :twisted:

BunnyHugger wrote:
His response was "I'm just sh!tting myself for you to do that'.

LMAOROTF! :lol: :lol:

I haven't read a funny thing like this in a long time.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 2:33 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

A pledge...what pledge.????..only for the forum members :x ....not many ppl read this forum (to date about 100 active members) I for one looked at the webcams for many years before I registered and became part of this family....ppl.... we have to look at the ppl going to the park for a once off...or maybe the first time in their lives and I agree we have to educate them.....as they do not know the warning signs......but as forum members...and it has been said before...we also "ignore" the rules.... :redface: which of you have not answered the call of nature when your bladder was bursting...who of you have not protruded from your vehicle at a special (not dangerous) sighting???? :redface: ...yes, we do talk to ppl at sightings and tell them to get back into their cars.....but ......can we apply the same rules to ourselves...and if so....when...until we get the perfect shot!! :redface: I have also seen many weird things this time I went....and it was ignored by the sunset drive rangers from Letaba....does that mean its acceptable for ppl.....???? here is a pic of one....the ranger stopped next to them and us and asked what they were looking at.....the guide replied "I saw some fresh rhino spoor and we are waiting for it to come back"...with that he drove off....not even a word of "Why are u on the roof and not inside ur vehicle...." its behaviour like this that make ppl believe its ok to be outside your car... :evil:
which make us the laughing stock when we talk to ppl about being outside of their vehicles.....(Oh.....here come another YR...please get back inside.... :evil: Is this what we want to stand for????? I dont think so.... :|

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 2:44 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

You make a good point there Mgoddard! I have had to have an emergency bladder stop for one or other family member on more than aone cocasion, more so when they were pre schoolers, but still happens on occasion now :redface:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 2:52 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Taking an emergency pitstop is a bit like playing with matches. It's relatively safe if you are aware of the dangers and act accordingly.

Mgoddard's point about watching the webcam for a long time before becoming an active member is a good one. I found this site via the webcam. Would it be possible to put the information we are trying to get over as tips on the webcam pages. So, whilst the viewer is waiting for the page to refresh, they can read the dos and don'ts.

Last edited by rayb on Fri May 09, 2008 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 2:57 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Rayb I suggested something similar under the Video loop thread

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 2:58 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Location: Johannesburg - where they cut down trees and name streets after them.
I thought that the "Pledge" would include more than only Forum members. :? Something like a simple list of rules and a "tick the box" before entering say, the "Parks A-Z" pages of this website. Maybe also small simple boxes with a different rules on the pages. Something the mind can unwillingly read (Do not speed, Do not protrude from your vehicle). Nobody will willingly enter a "rules page" to brows so it will have to be in their faces. Most, if not all, visitors to SANParks do brows this website before visiting so it should be here and visible.

My thoughts. :wink:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 3:34 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Folks we have lost the plot here :). The pledge is not meant for display on the forum.

From zakiya's post above:
Quote:
If you guys do decide that you would like a pledge signed and hung in reception of the parks, then between yourselves, decide on what you want it to say and then let me know - I'll put it through to Nedret.

The orignal idea of the pledge seems to have been lost when this topic was split off from another. This topic was not my idea but was actually split on one of my replies. The pledge is not meant for display on the forum but someone suggested we put together a pledge/petition and then get members to sign.
It will then be printed, framed put up on a wall somewhere in the Park, say at receptions. People can then read as they wait in queue. Something similar was done about littering if I remember correctly.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 3:40 pm 

Here is a pic of the pledge that hangs in Orpen's reception area.

A roaring lion does not catch any prey - African Proverb

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 4:25 pm 

I am a little embarrassed to admit this, but I was at the Orpen reception just over a week ago, and I did not even see the pledge.

Be that as it may, so we all sign the pedge, and then what?

Is this going to change the behaviour of the loons and hooglians?

We nee to get them to sign the pledge and then there are grounds for evicting them from the park if they disobey.

Sometimes, it is necessary to take a calculated risk. On the way back to Croc bridge, last week, I eventually could not hold it anymoreand had to do one of those emergency p-breaks. So for all my winging about speeding and the lack of respect and discipline for the rules, I did break one of them.

At the same time it has to be said, that I gave it my best shot not to. Can the same be said for the idiots that hang out of their cars at cat sightings or other dangerous times?

Can we say the same for the fools who feed and speed?

If a man can allow his children to protrude from a vehicle at a Hyena sighting, then he clearly has no respect for his children. What sort of father does this?

At this time though, I would like to make my point again.

SANPARKS are the custodians and guardians of the parks and they are responsible for the upholding of the rules and regs.

Long weeknd or not, there was no presence that I saw, at any one time that would indicate any effort or attempt at control. This is not to say that there was nothing. I just saw so many incidents and zero visible "policing".

If nothing else, I have learned from this thread that it is not our place to do anything.

My major concern is that with all the loons running around with no regard for the rule of law, we obviously have anarchy in the parks. SANPARKS are responsible to bring it back into line or pretty soon, there will be no more parks or animals to protect.

Then we will have no need of these heated debates and can move onto something else.

Conservation is not an option.
It's imperative.

Leave KNP alone. Go build a hotel someplace else. Reserves are for the preservation of wildlife.

Think Pink. ..

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 5:06 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

I guess if just one person has changed their behaviour as a result of the pledge thing at Orpen then it is worth the effort. Where do I sign?

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 5:20 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Quote:
I guess if just one person has changed their behaviour as a result of the pledge thing at Orpen then it is worth the effort. Where do I sign?

That's the spirit.

And that one person could educate another. As they say it starts with one...

So what is the next step? Who wants to drive this? I would love to but I am swamped with work. All I can offer right now is a signature.