Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 12:23 pm 

I don't know if this idea would be viable for smallish (age 3 - 8?) kids:

How about compiling a little colouring in book (consisting of about 12 or so pages) one page wrong behaviour and opposite the correct behaviour for tourists. Mark them with a big cross for wrong and a big tick for right. The pics should show littering as opposed to using dirt bins, hanging out of vehicle windows as opposed to remaining seated inside the vehicle, noisy behaviour in camps late at night when others are trying to get much-needed shuteye vs listening to the bush lullaby.
You know what I mean...

This could then be sold at a reasonable price at camp shops, together with a few pencil crayons for those long drives when little ones need to DO (and learn) something...

Just a thought - shout if you need any further help. I'd be honoured to assist where ever possible.

Kind Regards

Lee

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 1:03 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

That's a great idea. How about mixing it with other pages showing right and wrong behaviour and they have to put a :) or a :( or maybe even a :evil: as appropriate. You could possible get some sponsorship or advertising from car hire companies, tour companies etc.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 6:34 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Great idea, Lee :clap:
I find that adults take more notice of their own children telling them 'it says you shouldn't do that' than a complete stranger pointing out a wrong-doing.
I taught my children and grandchildren the 'Kruger voice' (whispering) and if I forget they soon tell me 'Ouma, Kruger voice' :redface:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 6:46 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Children are the best salespeople. They don't take no for answer.

"Mum, can I have an icecream?"

"Not right now dear it will spoil your lunch"

Mum! I really need an icecream."

You know the rest :)

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 9:53 am 

Hi Again!

Thankyou RayB and Freda! I already have some great ideas up my sleeve for this little book (1). If the pilot program takes off, we will tackle book (2). I would be able to complete a prototype by end May. Who should I mail / fax it to for approval?

Kind Regards

Lee

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 10:02 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Lee. that sounds like a fantastic idea :clap: :clap:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 10:03 am 

Hi Lee,

Great idea!!! It will be best if we can get SANPark's blessing and input on the book as well. We also need to look at the initial funding etc etc. I will be in contact with you in this regard!

A roaring lion does not catch any prey - African Proverb

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 10:11 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Wonderful idea Lee.. there are a lot of talented people out there (forumites not me) :clap:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 2:34 pm 

Thanks so much for all the nice words and encouragement,
Pjw, Dinkybird and Dotty! I hope my ideas will live up to expectation!!

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 10:26 am 

Please let us know as soon as this colouring book is available. I'll be your first customer! I love finding 'kruger' type activities for my kids when we go to any of the parks (they are aged 3 and 6). I am proud to say that my kids are well educated. They love and appreciate nature - even my 3 year old understands rules of the park better than a lot of the adults I've seen there. She already knows - no making a noise (although, I do allow them to be a little free around the camps in the day time) - no hanging out of windows - no feeding animals. They have both been going to the park since they were a year old, and I can tell you for a fact, that colouring books like the one planned are definitely the way to go when educating kids. Another idea - every year, I make them a 'sightings list' - a place where I can fill in the date, then pictures of the popular animals. They then stick stickers (stars etc) next to the appropriate animal each time they see one. You could have an 'offences' section, where they look out for offenders and stick a sticker next to the relevant offence. (That will definitely fill up faster then wild dog, cheetah and leopard sightings...) :wink:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 12:55 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

When my teenagers were kids there was a Kruger activty book available in both the camp shops and CNA. It seem to have dissapeared now. My kids loved the word searches and mazes and the pictues to colour in. I must have bought 40 or so of them over the years, as each time we went to KNP we had to buy them each another one. They never seemed to get bored with it. I wonder what happened to it, or is it still available and I don't look for it as my kids are older now?

Post subject: Kiddies Educational Colouring Book
Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 12:04 pm 

Hello Good People!

Guess you all thought I had done a convenient "disappearing act" - Not quite, but have been swamped with an unexpected workload from the office. :shock:

Just to put you all in the picture - I am still feverishly busy with the design and layout and will give brief progress reports from time to time. I think it would be safest to steer clear from a definite deadline as anything can happen and then derail my best plans.

Kind Regards

lee

Post subject: Re: Kiddies educational colouring book
Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 11:04 am 

Hi LEE, Not sure how old your entry re kiddies books is, but we have just got back from Kruger with me also thinking that this is such a good business oppurtunity, also a book to tick off animals seen etc, either done in cartoon version or photo version... my kids loved the Kruger but got bored after a while so a book to tick off plus colour in would be great....did your idea get anywhere???? :lol:

Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 6:05 pm 

Hi Slaterti!

Yes! I am indeed still busy with that project. It turned out to be more involved than just a little colouring in book. In between work deadlines :wall: and other hugely important things I try to do MY things: like this project for instance. I am still hoping to finalise the first one by end Nov / Dec, though.

Thanks for showing interest in this project!
Regards

Lee

I SAY NO TO HOTEL DEVELOPMENTS IN KRUGER NATIONAL PARK!

Unread postPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 6:02 pm 

This is SUCH a good idea.

I always look for kiddies educational books (or childrens encyclopaedias) on subjects about which I know nothing because I find it gives me a rapid overview of the subject which can save me hours of general research.

When I was at university I shared this valuable research tip with some fellow students. Boy! Did I get some weird looks. I think they thought I was crazy, but it certainly works for me.

I do try to aim at junior high level rather than at primary school or pre-primary school, though. After all, I'm getting to be a clever girl now. :D

So I encourage you to keep on working on this project.

KNP Lower Sabie 25 April to 3 May 2015