Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 12:15 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Go for it :clap: :clap: With you every step of the way :clap:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 8:03 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Great idea! :clap: The Kruger rules pamphlet will give ideas on what to cover in the video. I'd say first target all the gate receptions as that's the first point of contact with the park.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 8:54 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Any help that is needed, count me in please

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 9:31 am 

Guys, I have sent on the link to this topic to the 'powers that be' at Kruger and SANParks.

A roaring lion does not catch any prey - African Proverb

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 9:36 am 
Guru
Guru

Hi Forumites

You have my complete and total backing on this one. The intention is to roll out the video screens at all the gates and camp receptions (funds allowing - that is also a fund raising project you can get involved in) so this would be an EXCELLENT video to show on those screens. We also take TV monitors etc to shows and exhibitions so this is something we can show there too. It is easy from our side to distribute this video.

Thank you, from the bottom of my heart. This is an EXCELLENT initiative. Well done!

:clap: :clap: :clap:
:D :D :D

Kind regards
KNP Spokesman

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 9:42 am 

Thank you KNPS for your support and enthusiasm!

A roaring lion does not catch any prey - African Proverb

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 9:47 am 

This is a fantastic idea and well worth the effort. Even if we only get a small percentage of the visitors to soak in the information then it would be a job well done.

I would be more than happy to contribute in any way possible. I do not have video footage of any value but I could assist in coordinating things and have access to professionals who can assist with post production (video editing and cutting) for the loop. I have access to another contact that I can request sponsorship from in the form of TV monitors if necessary.

I know I am new to the forum but I would really love to get involved as much as possible.

Love the idea and want to contribute.
Lesley

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 9:55 am 

Hi all,

I definately agree with the suggestions in this thread. To achieve the enforcement of abiding by rules, one needs a combination of two things, education and enforcement/policing.

Ecojunkies suggestion here would fit into the education part, which I feel will go a long way to achieve what we all want. However a few problems arise, namely:
- In order for one to use offenders in videos/photos one needs to get their permission for it to be published in a public domain. Look at Leon Shuster for example, all people that appeared in his pranks on tv/movie gave permission to be included.
I think this can be achieved by only including images/videos of people who have been fined. As part of signing for acknowledgement of the fine, the people would sign acknowledging that their images would be used in an educational campaign.

- Without adequate enforcement of the rules, people will continue to break them, no matter how educated they are. As it is now, there are not enough Rangers to police this, and Im not saying more should be hired. They do an amazing job already. I feel that some of them are overworked and have possibly lost that love for their work, as suggested in the Leopard death thread, where there were Sanparks vehicles present who did nothing. You will say that there is already a community enforcement plan in place, that of us taking photos/videos and reporting it to the emergency line, but lets be honest, most of the time the perpetrators laugh at you when you say something and often include a few choice words about your mother...etc, and also the follow up from the authorities may only take a while.

What I suggest be done is that together with volunteers who will be setting up the video, members of the public, who go to the park regularly, go on a small course or something to train them in rule enforcement. After completing the course and obtaining a lisence, one can qualify as a type of honorary ranger, that can hand out spot fines and have access to authorities straight away. The rules will have to be very stringent, ie person protruding R 200 fine, driving of the road R 500 fine, etc. Even foreign visitors who visit once a year can participate, as long as they are certified. I can think of a number of forumites here that would do an amazing job at it.

I know this sounds quite hectic, and im sure some will disagree, but as I said earlier, without enforcement, education wont work. I feel that this is the only way we can increase enforcement, because if we encourage more rangers to be hired, costs of the park would go up, and then the cost to go to the park would go up. With a volunteer force, it would be done for free.

How do you feel about this?

Kind regards,

Pat

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 10:07 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Quote:
I think this can be achieved by only including images/videos of people who have been fined. As part of signing for acknowledgement of the fine, the people would sign acknowledging that their images would be used in an educational campaign.

I doubt if anyone would go for that and I also doubt the legality thereof. We could blank out all identifying characteristics such as faces, numberplates, but something may still slip through somewhere. Do we even have to show actual offendors? Shouldn't we ather have re-enactments of offences?

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 10:28 am 

good idea senyetse! i totally agree, there would be too many legal loops if the video used actual offenders, i think re-enactment of offenses is much safer to do legal wise. hey we would be up for doing some re-enactment if needed, but i refuse to open my window and pet a lion...lol

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 11:43 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Thanks to KNP Spokesman for supporting us - now we know we can really motor...... taxis beware.....!

And thanks too to all those who want to help, especially those with expertise....watch out, you will be used!

I did say we might have to set up scenarios with officialdom - and generally that would be the way to go, although our own photos can help to suggest the scenarios - like mine above.

But first we must have the list of what to include, and we are doing well. After last night at CB I will add camp behaviour: privacy/personal space, observing 9.30pm-6am silence rule....
DQs introduction to safari is also useful....

The weekend often sees more input on the forums, so on Monday I will collate a list of what we have and then we can see what is missing, and start to come up with ideas for scenarios and script.

Have you read the gate leaflet? Do you KNOW the regulations?

Completed over 5 years in Kruger in my caravan.

If I were normal I wouldn't be me!

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 11:45 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Oh - and with regard to the enforcing side of things.... I know the HRs do play a role although without real teeth as it were. However if they report a transgression it is taken seriously. So once again this is something we may be able to become involved in once we have our virtual HR status??? In the meantime as I have discovered reporting offences is welcomed even now so we can do something even at this stage.

Have you read the gate leaflet? Do you KNOW the regulations?

Completed over 5 years in Kruger in my caravan.

If I were normal I wouldn't be me!

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 7:17 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

WOW!!!It is fantastic to see all the people who wants to get involved!!!! It just show you how fed up we are about all the stuff!!!!

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 9:22 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Could there be room for a"mini cartoon" for kids.... Get 'em early

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 9:51 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Brilliant! :D

Thank you, Elsa, for the original idea :clap: :clap: !!
And, thank you ecojunkie for picking it up and taking it to a higher level :clap:

Also... how's the Virtual HR thing coming along?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 75 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next