Txs Bouf

Post subject: Cybertracker Donations - R12 010,00
Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 4:20 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

diannet wrote:
Quote:
Operation Duke

On behalf of SANParks and the e-commerce team we'd like to say a big THANK YOU to everyone who supported this latest fundraising initiative!! We hope it's the first of many and look forward to many more projects like this in the future.

The fun and highly original fundraising idea know as "Objective Duke" originated on the SANParks forums. It began as a humble idea for a weekend away that turned into something more for the 6 guys involved. Our idea for a boy's weekend away became an idea to head off to Kruger in search of Duke, which became an idea to raise funds for SANParks, which became an idea to give those funds to the CyberTracker programme, explains Wild@Heart, one of the six involved.

The fundraising was conducted by way of a "betting forum" online. The primary betting was on whether the group would or would not see Duke on their weekend in KNP. The skeptics pledged the most money, and the bets diversified to include money pledged for remembering the tent poles, sightings of, among other things, a LIT (Leopard in a Tree), Sable, and at least one bet was placed involving a team member posing in a yellow g-string!

After much planning, our intrepid group of six 'musketeers' set off on their self-funded trip to the KNP in search of Duke, and funds for the Geographic Informations System (GIS) CyberTracker Programme. An article on this will we going up shortly as well.

E-commerce would also like to thank KNP for their great co-operation and once again we've been humbled by the astounding community spirit and generous support from the forum community.

The "Duke Pack" as they have become known, are willing to do further similar projects with the primary objective of raising funds for SANParks. The next forum initiative will be an inter-park cricket match, with the forum supplying one team, made up of online community member. Details of this to follow on the site soon.

If you have a fundraising project in mind, please contact me!

While the group didn't see Duke, he led them on an unforgettable chase...and the funds raised will purchase...wait for it...two units of much needed CyberTracker Equipment.

That's right, your efforts raised a total of R12 010,00!!!! This far exceeded our expectations-we were hoping for R5 700.00, the cost of a single unit.

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU TO EVERYONE INVOLVED!! WE CAN'T SAY IT ENOUGH!!

The data captured about this equipment is used in the adaptive management strategy of KNP and will ensure that KNP remains an amazing sanctuary for animals like Duke!!

The final amount came to R12 010,00

I would like to take this opportunity to thank each and every member that made a donation towards this project.

There is one who I could not find his/her forum name so please forgive me for it.

A special thank you to the top 3 for their generous donations
Jacov
Gwendolen
SimonB6

But not forgetting the valuable and generous contributions by the other members as well.
Arks
Bert
Bouf
Bucky
craigsa
Deville
diannet
DinkyBird
Duques
Elsa
Freda
Gary
Glenda
Impisi08
Jakkalsbessie
Jay
Jock
Jose
Jumbo
Katja
Lynne
Madach
Matthew
mfb
Muhammed
Obelix
Peterpiper
Ravvie
Restio
Saraf
Wild@Heart

You are all superstars!!!

Last edited by Wild@Heart on Wed Jan 24, 2007 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: What is a "CyberTracker" & what does it do?
Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 1:27 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

The Cybertracker programme: An insight

I must firstly say thank you to SANParks, especially KNP Spokesman and Sandra Mac Fadyen. Sandra, if you read this, you will notice that I have leant heavily on your various reports on the Cybertracker programme, and I hope you forgive me for it.

The information contained in this report was presented to the Duke pack by Sandra, and collected from the Cybertracker website and other articles available on the Web.

This document has been generated as an attempt at a summarized, but nonetheless detailed report, broken into:

1. What is Cybertracker?
2. How does it work?
3. How can this benefit the Park?

I trust this makes for interesting reading and clears up your questions regarding Cybertracker. If you do have any further questions or require more information, please PM me.

1. What is Cybertracker?

The Cybertracker system (developed for application in conservation by Louis Liebenberg) is a user-friendly interface for a pocket PC handheld unit (such as a palm pilot), coupled with a GPS (Global Positioning System). What this basically means is that it’s a programme designed to run on a pocket PC, which when coupled with a GPS plots the area in which sightings and other observations occur.

This user-friendly interface, with text in English and Shangaan, and icons for the illiterate allows field workers to record customized observations with latitude and longitude co-ordinates. This practice limits the amount of time spent on data capture “back at the office”, the information collected on the patrol is captured “then and there”, negating the need for a “debriefing” session back at camp. Therefore increasing the time available for scientific research.

2. How does it work?

So what would the process followed be:

I quote Sandra Mac Fadyen (SANParks GIS):

“Field rangers from each section in the KNP are deployed on a daily basis to patrol selected areas with up to 4 CT units. Observations, from the different categories, are recorded throughout the patrols including the routes traveled and time taken. On the field ranger’s return, the section ranger downloads the patrol data to his/der desktop CT ranger dairy database and reviews the observations of the day. At the end of every month each of the 22 section rangers exports their CT data for that month and emails the small file to scientific services ‘ Geographic Information Systems (GIS) Lab in Skukuza. The data is then collated from the GIS lab and imported into an Access database where it is cleaned, summarized and made accessible to all users through the KNP network.”

So then what sort of information would the KNP like its field rangers to submit from their patrols? The programme was customized for the collection of the following data:

• Daily field ranger patrol information. This would include the type of patrol (foot, bicycle, vehicle etc), the area and distances covered, observations and time and date of the observations as well as the Field Rangers involved in the patrol

• Species Distribution incl. Mammals, Birds and Reptiles

• Spoor Locations – Illegal immigrants and illegal activities, Rare Game

• Available Surface Water, both natural and artificial

• Disease/Injury to animals, location and associated causes

• Carcass Locations and possible cause of death

• Poaching Activity and location

• Fence Line Breakages/Repairs, including indication of game movement in or out

• Tree Utilization by Elephants, most especially on sensitive tree species

• Invasive Species Distribution, terrestrial (land), aquatic (water) and riparian (on the banks of watercourses)

• Fire Mapping – Burn Scars, Ignition Points & Active fires

• Projects – Location of Bive Hives (Cape Honey Bee/Varroa Mite Project), Please see the link provided at the end for more information on this project.

• Archeology Sites/Artifacts

3. How can this benefit the Park?

Ok great, so we know what the system is and involves, and what information can be collected, but what is this for? Why would the park require this information and how does it benefit the Park?

The benefits of the field data collected by the patrols through this system can be used to aid both the management and the scientific research of the park through:

On the Management Side:

• The planning of future patrols for area integrity management
• Acts as an early warning system for disease outbreaks
• The identification of entry/exit points for poachers and illegals- this gives a visual perspective and automated anti-poaching reports are accessible by the CIS department
• Managing the control of invasive species
• The reporting of fence breaks to the veterinary department for animal health purposes
• The distribution of information throughout the KNP

On the Scientific Research side:

• The data collected feeds into existing projects
o Including Wild dog monitoring, Invasive species, Fire management, Archeological inventory, Sensitive tree conditions and other projects
• Elephant impact studies
• Available surface water and its impact on game movements
• Establishing various species distribution patterns and game estimate numbers

“The Cybertracker system has proven to be an indispensable tool for field data collection in the Kruger National Park. The easy-to-use icon-based interface has the potential to all but eliminate the time consuming practice of data capture, allowing more time for scientific research. This research, which is fed into the KNP’s adaptive management practices and policies, leads to a better understanding by KNP managers and scientists to the facets and fluxes of the diverse ecosystems of our National Park.”

Other websites and articles:

KNP Scientific Services

Electronic Ranger Diaries- Sandra Macfadyen (PDF- 1Mb)

Honey Bees "CyberTracked"

CyberTracker Website

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 10:42 am 

Thanks so much for that Matthew, very informative and well written.
It certainly is a very versatile piece of equipment and must make the rangers jobs so much easier, plus having the advantage of being totally accurate.
So glad we have been able to help with the purchase of 2 of these wonderful devices. :D

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 6:57 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Thanks Matt - a very comprehensive and clear description. Glad we could donate some! :D

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 2:36 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Today I received a lovely thank you letter from Sandra MacFadyen, with a SANParks lanyard and KNP keyring enclosed. 8) Thank you Sandra for the thoughtful gifts. It is a pleasure and a privilege to participate in supporting the CyberTracker programme!

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 7:04 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Isn't she a biscuit! 8) 8)
Mine arrived over the weeked!

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 12:28 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

arks wrote:
Today I received a lovely thank you letter from Sandra MacFadyen, with a SANParks lanyard and KNP keyring enclosed. 8)

I also received mine about 10 days ago.
Thanks Sandra and SANParks! :thumbs_up:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 12:39 pm 

I received mine last week - a special letter from Kruger 8)

A roaring lion does not catch any prey - African Proverb

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 2:22 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

My R250 went in this weekend.... So hopefully there is enough for some lunch in there now as well ;-)

Being African is not determined by race, but by what's in your heart

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 2:15 pm 

Have a look on the front page: Conservation in the Palm of our Hands

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 6:30 pm 

Feels so good to know that we were a part in this great new technology that is such a valuable and important asset to the park. :D

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 3:09 pm 
Guru
Guru

Hi everyone,

Vernon David Heard has made a donation of R50-00 towards the KNP CyberTracker.

Kind regards,

Santa

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 10:14 am 
Guru
Guru

Hi everyone,

We have received another generous donation towards the Cyber Tracker equipment. Arnold van der Westhuizen has donated R500-00 :D towards the Mountain Zebra Cyber Tracker and the outstanding balance on this project is now R15,500-00.

Kind regards,

Santa :dance:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 12:05 pm 
Guru
Guru

Hi there everyone,

Lorne Pettigrew has donated R200.00 :D towards the KNP CyberTracker equipment and that brings the outstanding balance on this project down to R34,000-00.

Kind regards,

Santa

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 96 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next