Skip to Content

Please fly Yellow Ribbon in Parks

Find information and join us for the next forum meeting

okie
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Re: Please fly Yellow Ribbon in Parks

Unread postby okie » Mon Aug 30, 2010 12:48 pm

I find a fluttering ribbon somewhat distracting while I am driving , but also sometimes making an irritating noise , therefore I now use a yellow tube slipped over the aerial , which is quite visible . It is made it from plastic irrigation tubing 15 mm diameter , around which I wrapped bright yellow duct tape . In addition , I also tape yellow duct tape around the driver mirror stem .
Last time in KNP ( May 2010 ) , was asked about it by 4 people , 2 of which were forumites ( both of whom did not display YR's ) .
I will display it again in two week's time :dance:
Tread softly , and let your departure not be spoiled by the damage of your arrival

Next :
3 - 6 Sept 2013 - Punda.
7 - 10 Sept 2013 -Shingwedzi .
11 - 13 Sept 2013 - Balule .
14 - 17 Sept 2013 - Satara .

Sparrow
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Sparrow » Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:09 am

I tie mine to both driver and passenger door handles. This way you dont notice the flapping but I find that at 20kms an hour it doesnt flap at all!!!!!!!!
Russel G

Nature does not hurry, yet everything is accomplished Lao Tzu

28 Feb to 7 March Skukuza

Bushmom
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Bushmom » Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:33 pm

okie wrote:Actually , in nautical signals , a yellow flag denotes the letter Q , and if a ship flies this flag by itself , then it means that the ship is free of disease . If the yellow flag is flown with another flag , then it means that there is disease/fever ( especially yellow fever ) on board the ship , and is a signal to " stay clear ". :whistle:

What about the poor forumites/stiffnecks with red an yellow ribbons?????
The world is truly round and seems to start and end with those we love...
Nelson Mandela
December '12????
1-6 May '13

Mellory
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Mellory » Tue Sep 14, 2010 4:47 pm

Chappie wrote:BM Hugh has seen a sample. Here is a photo of what I made to fit a large mirror.

The ribbon can be trimmed to the correct length to avoid flapping on the car.

Chappie :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up: I think this is a great idea

Chappie
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Chappie » Sun Sep 19, 2010 5:34 pm

Thanks Mellory. You are more than welcome to a copy of the pattern I made.
The trees are God's great alphabet: with them He writes in shining green across the world His thoughts serene. ~Leonora Speyer

boatmaker

Unread postby boatmaker » Thu Sep 30, 2010 3:10 pm

Hi all. Can somebody explain to me the yellow ribbon. I get that if you a forum member you fly a yellow ribbon in SanParks...is there anything more to it than that? If we see each other do we stop and chat and share sightings? I would have gone through the 23 pages of postings in the topic - but my eyes are a bit square from going through 50 pages of camping advice yesterday (only took up almost my whole day)! There is waaaaaaaayyyyy to much info on this forum... :?

Sparrow
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Sparrow » Thu Sep 30, 2010 3:15 pm

Welcome Boatmaker you are about to become addicted.
Yes if we spot another yellow ribbon which indicates a fellow forumite we greet and trade sightings. It is great fun and really worthwhile so FLY your YELLOW RIBBON for all to see.
Russel G

Nature does not hurry, yet everything is accomplished Lao Tzu

28 Feb to 7 March Skukuza

Crested Val
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

Unread postby Crested Val » Thu Sep 30, 2010 3:24 pm

I'm a newbie as well, but I'm reliably informed that it doesn't need to be a ribbon if you don't have one. Anything yellow and visible and that can be safely attached to the driver's wing mirror!!
Enjoy!!!
Thinking of Africa every day.

jacliz

Unread postby jacliz » Fri Oct 08, 2010 11:26 am

Flew mine for a couple of days in Kgalagadi but didn't see any others and felt a bit of a twit - someone asked if I'd won an award for something! Took it off after that, but will fly it again in Kruger Nov/Dec. Always meet people there. I have to tie it to the rear door handle as my 'driver' :) won't have it flapping on the wing mirror!
KTP
Oct 29/Nov 14: KTC, Urikaruus, Grootkolk, Nossob, KK, KTC
February 15: Agulhas, Storms River, Golden Gate, Mountain Zebra, Addo, Wilderness
March 15: KTP camping :)

Vlakvarkvrou
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Vlakvarkvrou » Tue Oct 12, 2010 5:38 pm

FlorisCathy wrote:We will stay in Kruger 17-10-2010 - 30-10-2010. Anyone else? Where can I buy a YR?

Hi FC,
You can buy a yellow ribbon at most material shops and even at shops that sell hair accessories.
Remember to PM Jazil or Boorgatspook to add your name to the list of people visisting the park on certain dates.
Friendly regards :D

Nkulu
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Re: Yellow ribbons

Unread postby Nkulu » Fri Oct 15, 2010 7:48 am

On my last trip I exchanged my yellow ribbon for a big bold yellow scarf, nobody could miss it :D and I was fortunate to meet up with 5 other YRs :clap:
Nkulu

I am a free spirit...Either admire me from the ground. Or fly with me...But don't ever try to cage me.

Croc Bridge 11 June 2015
Tamboti 12 June 2015
Shingwedzi 13 & 14 & 15 June 2015
Balule 16 June 2015

carolv
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread postby carolv » Mon Oct 18, 2010 3:12 pm

For a long while we also saw no YRs and then we opted for the (possibly) overkill approach. I buy 2-3 metres of 5 cm wide yellow ribbon..the brightest yellow I can find in the shop. We then cut it up and tie sections to our wing mirror, radio aerial, rear windscreen wiper and enough left over to tie bows on our camera backpacks lest we miss someone whilst we are out and about in camp. Did this approach work? Definitely! we have been lucky enough to meet more and more other YRs in the parks and have made some special friendships from meet ups. It has also meant several people coming to ask us what the YRs mean and we have been able to explain both their meaning and promote the forums in general.
http://www.sanparks.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=77459Our 2013 Trip Report
... and how I miss being back in the KNP.

Binkieloo

Unread postby Binkieloo » Wed Oct 27, 2010 7:27 pm

This thread is really working!

We were in the park in April and only had 1 YR meetings, and 1 other sighting.

We just got back from 14 days in the park and had 4 meetings and 2 sightings!

First cheetah sighting shared with Rookie2009 - great to meet you!
First wild dog sighting shared with Katie Howells - what an awesome sighting to share!
First visit to Nwanetsi picnic site and we met Hippo and her mum - sorry it was such a short chat
The Yellow and Red ribbons car in the Satara car park - I left a message - hope you got it!
On the road to Tamboti/Maroela the blue polo with YRs - I think you were just arriving when we first saw you, and then we saw you again but we were on the sunset drive - hope to figure out who you are, and hope you had an awesome trip.
Last day in Kruger stopped GrannyB's car - great to have a quick chat - hope you got your lion sighting!!

It's working - hope to see more on our next trip to KNP.

Binkieloo :)
The B Squared - Bianca and Brian, and Kyle too!

Kruger trip with a 15 month old in tow BOOKED! :dance:
Camping: 24 - 30 Aug: Maroela
30 Aug - 5 Sep: Tsendze - our 1st time
5 Sep - 11 Sep: Balule - our fav
11 Sep - 12 Sep: Lower Sabie :D

DeeSmith

Unread postby DeeSmith » Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:38 pm

Having been in KNP for the last week, camped at Shingwedzi, we flew our YR for the first time. It was great that while parked at a waterhole the car in front of us made a u-turn and stopped next to us to say hello. It was 'One with Nature' and his family.
It was a pleasure to meet them. Turned out that they were also at Shingwedzi.

We saw a few other cars with ribbons, also one flying the red birding ribbon. It almost feels like you hae friends in the park.

My YR has sentiment - it was from a medal that our late son received one year for football. He was studying Game ranging before he passed away, so I feel like I have some of him with me, while flying the ribbon. Sorry a bit soppy!! :(

Elsa

Unread postby Elsa » Sun Oct 31, 2010 9:35 am

We spent 5 days at a KZN park last week and just for fun and habit flew my YR and guess what, we met another forumite M@rie, so we arranged a meet at the nearest picnic spot and had a nice chat. :D

Dee, what special memories your YR has and how appropriate that you fly it in the park that was your son's passion.
Where ever you go, go with all your Heart.

Kruger - 22nd May - 5th June 2015

Return to “Meets & Greets ”