4th UK Meet - 12th September 2009

Find information and join us for the next forum meeting

Moderator: Crested Val

JDW

Re: 4th UK Meet - 12th September 2009

Unread postby JDW » Mon Jul 06, 2009 8:47 pm

Saraf
I'm in
Offer of transport from Gatwick Airport still valid.
Kind regards
JDW
2015 - Jun/Jul - Scotland
2015 - Sep - North Wales
2016 - South Africa/USA/Canada?

Sezela

Unread postby Sezela » Tue Jul 07, 2009 8:00 pm

Hi there

I'm new to the Forum so not quite sure what a Forum meeting consists of. I live in Brighton, East Sussex and have just returned from Kruger National Park. Would love to meet up with fellow Park supporters. What do I have to do??

Sezela

saraf

Unread postby saraf » Tue Jul 07, 2009 8:56 pm

Hi Sezela, welcome to the forum.

What do you need to do? Well keep Saturday 12th September free for starters. And keep an eye on this thread - I'll put details of timings etc nearer the time.

Actually our meets usually involve lots of laughing and talking, with some eating and drinking. We aren't in the least bit scary and we'd love to meet you, if you can make it.
Website Community Choice Award - Kudu Awards 2015. Voting is now open - see here for details

Peregrine Falcon

Unread postby Peregrine Falcon » Tue Jul 07, 2009 9:11 pm

Hi Saraf,

SO and I would like to join you on 12th September in Portsmouth for drinks and eats. We will be booking a hotel for the night coming from East London (not the one in SA!)via the M25 and A3. If anyone coming from around here (or on our route, with minor detour) wants a lift (2 people max) then let us know. Obviously we won't return until the Sunday so that would have to suit. Do you have anything in mind for Saturday afternoon / Saturday evening / Sunday daytime?

Take care wherever you are,
Peregrine Falcon and SO.
A poor life this, if full of care,
We have no time to stand and stare.
(W.H.Davies)

---------------------------------------
SEPTEMBER 2014
4/5 - Berg-en-Dal
6 - Skukuza
7/8 - Tamboti
9/10/11 - Shimuwini
12/13/14- Shingwedzi
15-19 - Letaba

saraf

Unread postby saraf » Tue Jul 07, 2009 10:05 pm

Peregrine Falcon wrote:Hi Saraf,

SO and I would like to join you on 12th September in Portsmouth for drinks and eats. We will be booking a hotel for the night coming from East London (not the one in SA!)via the M25 and A3. If anyone coming from around here (or on our route, with minor detour) wants a lift (2 people max) then let us know. Obviously we won't return until the Sunday so that would have to suit. Do you have anything in mind for Saturday afternoon / Saturday evening / Sunday daytime?

Take care wherever you are,
Peregrine Falcon and SO.

Got a full day planned for Saturday. I thought we could do a tour of the Historic Dockyard (Mary Rose, Victory, Harbour Tour). There's a nice restaurant there for lunch. Then there's also the Spinnaker Tower and there's a nice (Fuller's) pub nearby for the evening. If anyone has any other thoughts on what to do just add them to the thread. I put some links on the first page of the thread if you want more information.

I'll get some costings and timings in a couple of weeks when there's more idea of numbers (we may be able to get group discounts). If anyone wants any more information, just ask or PM.

See you all in Sept.
Website Community Choice Award - Kudu Awards 2015. Voting is now open - see here for details

Sezela

Unread postby Sezela » Wed Jul 08, 2009 1:04 pm

saraf wrote:Hi Sezela, welcome to the forum.

What do you need to do? Well keep Saturday 12th September free for starters. And keep an eye on this thread - I'll put details of timings etc nearer the time.

Actually our meets usually involve lots of laughing and talking, with some eating and drinking. We aren't in the least bit scary and we'd love to meet you, if you can make it.

Hi Saraf

Count me in - I'll book a day's leave and come to Portsmouth. Never done the Dockyard and look forward to meeting fellow SANpark supporters there.

Many thanks and looking forward to it,

Kind regards

Sezela

carolv
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread postby carolv » Thu Jul 09, 2009 11:21 pm

Despite the fact that I spend oh so long reading the forum chats each day, this is the very first time I have added anything myself. My SO (Richard) and I live very close to Portsmouth (Horndean) and, if we are welcome, would so love to join everyone on 12th September. We can also accommodate 2 couples (or 2 singles if their need is greater) with pleasure. Obviously not for payment but just a chance to help people (who we are sure will become new friends) who share our love for KNP. Not sure how to proceed further with this but am hoping saraf will help or pass on any further info we need.We had 2 x 2 week trips to KNP last year and I took a group into the Park for a few days in April this year so can 'entertain' with photos galore etc.

Carol

saraf

Unread postby saraf » Thu Jul 09, 2009 11:40 pm

Hi Carol, welcome to the forum.

Of course you are welcome, it will be lovely to meet you. It really is great to meet up with like minded people, I'm sure we'll have a great time.

When I get a clearer idea of numbers I'll post the details on here and we can decide what we want to do. It'll probably be in a couple of weeks time.

UK forum meets are usually pretty informal affairs, where you can join up and dip out as and when you need to.

Please PM if you want any more information - that goes for anyone else who is thinking of coming along.

saraf

Unread postby saraf » Thu Jul 09, 2009 11:41 pm

saraf wrote:Actually I am going to need numbers soon to be able to get group "discount" on tickets.

So, so far there's:

Me
Kamprunner (& SO?)
Tweedle & Hobbit
JDW
Sezela
Peregrine Falcon & SO
Carolv & SO

Dotty
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Dotty » Mon Jul 13, 2009 11:36 am

Hi saraf, put me and SO on the list too please :thumbs_up:
KUDU's mean Well done and Thank you

saraf

Unread postby saraf » Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:16 pm

saraf wrote:Actually I am going to need numbers soon to be able to get group "discount" on tickets.

So, so far there's:

Me
Kamprunner (& SO?)
Tweedle & Hobbit
JDW
Sezela
Peregrine Falcon & SO
Carolv & SO
Sandiem & SO
Dotty & SO

saraf

Unread postby saraf » Wed Aug 19, 2009 11:24 am

OK. I now have some prices and timings. And there's a choice to be made.

1. Groups Discount £19. (We need 15 to qualify so this might be academic). Includes entry to HMS Victory (10:25), Mary Rose Ship Hall (11:15), Harbour Tour (12:00), Mary Rose Museum (13:15), Action Stations (14:30) and the Spinnaker Tower (16:00), HMS Warrior and Royal Naval Dockyard Museum (both untimed). Tickets are valid on the day only. When they think we are going to find time to eat I don't know! The Victory tour and Harbour Tour are set in stone but I'm not sure how strict they are on the timings as they have been introduced since my last visit.

2. Individual tickets (£18 + £7 for Spinnaker Tower) - we get a timed visit to HMS Victory and a Harbour Tour but these will be allocated on the day. Unused portions of the ticket can be used up 12 months after so if you don't get time to do it all on one day you can return (not applicable to Spinnaker Tower). Unlimited visits to Warrior and Naval Museum, one entry for all the other attractions.

Discounts for seniors (60+) are available. Let me know if you qualify.

Both options converge for the evening - down to the Customs House Tavern in Gunwharf Quays.

Please could you let me know what you prefer to do. No rush but if we are taking up the timed bookings I need to pay by 2nd September, so I need to know the numbers.

See you all soon.

JDW

Unread postby JDW » Wed Aug 19, 2009 11:12 pm

Saraf
I am happy to go with a majority decision, however my individual choice would be for the more leisurely Option two.

Don't you just hate it when people sit on the fence!!!

Anyone need transport from Gatwick Airport?

Nasty rumour circulating in Portsmouth - FREE Beer for Brummies in local Fullers pub!!

Regards
JDW
2015 - Jun/Jul - Scotland
2015 - Sep - North Wales
2016 - South Africa/USA/Canada?

carolv
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread postby carolv » Sat Aug 22, 2009 2:48 pm

Hi Saraf
We will also go with the flow - just looking forward to meeting everyone. Does anyone coming for the meet need/want accommodation with us for the Saturday night? We have 2 spare bedrooms (each has a double bed) and happy to do a big breakfast for the Sunday morning. Just let me know and I will send the relevant info re address, contact number etc. SO (WildImage) and I are away from next weekend for a week so if you receive no immediate reply, this will be the reason.

sandiem
Location: In UK desperately waiting for the next trip to SA!!

Unread postby sandiem » Mon Aug 24, 2009 12:22 pm

Hi everyone,

I have 2 more for the outing, Digidave and SO. That may help in qualifying us for the group discount?

He will be logging in a bit later here to confirm.

I too would like to do the Harbour tour........ but am happy to fit in with everyone else..... We will be staying somewhere overnight so don't mind.

Looking forward to meeting everyone........ will we be bringing Kruger photos? or any other wildlife interests to share? :D
Sandie
If only EVERY day were a Kruger day!
Kruger 2010 Skukuza 10/09.. Lower Sabie 11 & 12/09..Satara 13 & 14/09..Letaba 15 & 16/09..Shingwedzi 17 & 18/09.. Punda Maria 19 & 20/09.. Mopani 21 & 22/09
Trip Report 2008

Return to “Meets & Greets ”