Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  Page 31 of 34
 [ 497 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34  Next
 Post subject: Re: Forum Olifants River Back-pack Trail
Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:42 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Hi all

I believe Sawubona has some news for us :twisted: :naughty: He just needs a little encouragement.... :whistle:

SRY man....just too busy :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 6:33 am 

Yeeessss Sawu? yes yes yes? mmmmmmm?
C'mon, we're waiting?? :wink: :wink:

RESERVES were declared to keep natural areas in their wildest form.
KEEP IT THAT WAY!!

15 Mar: Satara
21-23 March: Shingwedzi
18-21 April Balule
9 May: Sand River Bush Camp

Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 7:39 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Ja, what will it be about? :twisted:

You want me to admit that it is better to take a chair with us...??
Only because you bought one last weekend...??

I am not admitting.

I will sit on a stump, the sand, a rock..anything, as long as it is not a chair. :twisted:

No, the actual news is that GS and me went shopping last weekend and have bought all that we still needed. We did some practice with the food, cooking a bit, taste a bit........and decide steak is better.

So GS will be taking the braai on his back, the backpack inside it, and the meat for the braai will be shot during the course of the day.

We are READY for this. :twisted: :lol:

Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 10:32 am 

Have a fab time one the Trail, we are off to KTP tomorrow......

Remember to take lots and lots of photo's, can't wait for your TR.

Hope you have great guides, and enjoy every minute off it.... :lol:

Vlekkie

Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 5:57 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

I am sure you will enjoy the trip , the river is flowing strongly at the moment , so the 2nd rifle tells me you will probably have to stay on the northern side of the river .
I know I am missing out on a great adventure , but perhaps there will be another opportunity ... don't be greedy , I say to myself !

KNP is sacred. I am opposed to the modernisation of Kruger and from the depths of my soul long for the Kruger of yesteryear! 1000+km on foot in KNP incl 56 wild trails.200+ nights in the wildernessndloti-indigenous name for serval.

Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 7:15 pm 

Damn I can't wait!!!
And I've just been advised that I have a relief to cover for me at work while I'm on leave...phew, that was a close shave! :shock:

KEEP IT THAT WAY!!

18-21 April Balule

Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 10:03 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Riverrat wrote:
Damn I can't wait!!!

Hah! Nice to hear, well I can't wait and can't sleep :twisted: :lol: Man, after all the planning hassles and a few setbacks, we are 'this' close from the trail. I must admit, as for Jan, Sawubona and myself, I have rarely seen such excitement. The planning and preparation was as much fun! We all enjoyed it! :whistle:

Riverrat wrote:
And I've just been advised that I have a relief to cover for me at work while I'm on leave...phew, that was a close shave! :shock:

RR, Good to hear this :shock: :dance: I'm glad everything is still working out 8) I sincerely hope that we can all finally go on the trail next week as planned!

I have a few new updates which we will discuss in more dept at the group meet on Saturday...All I can say now is that the group composition has changed slightly: my sister and her friend (female)decided last minute to join our group! I'm sorry to say, but Zorro from Nelspruit informed me that due to circumstances she will no longer join us :? However, I still owe her a detailed trip report :wink: This means the FINAL group is back on a total of 8, cosisting out of:

1. Riverrat
2. Chris
3. Frank
4. Sawubona
5. Jan
6. AlextheLion
7. Marijke
8. G@mespotter

Riverrat did some 'research' for us, and we were told that our guides will be Donavan Terblanche and Julie Wolhuter! So, this is the final group, and hopefully if nothing serious happens, we will all start the trail next week Wednesday :dance: :dance: 8) 8)

The ladies joining lately do face a few challenges to be up ready & fit, but I'm trying my best to prepare them :thumbs_up: My backpack is already packed, weight looks fine, and I only need a few minor things :)

Despite the setback we had, I'm glad the puzzle is finally falling together. I'm sorry for those who really wanted to come along but couldn't because of all sorts of different reasons... I really hope you can make it in future.... I didn't buy all the stuff for only ONE walk :lol: :wink:

Finally, thanks for all you guys who participated in the discussions, preparation, planning tips etc! Also, thanks for the fun and joking :thumbs_up:

Ndloti, Vlekkie, Zorro, MM, BH, MG (and if WTM is still around reading) and all others, thanks for the comments, I'm sure if everything goes as planned the next 7 days, we will enjoy every second of it!

AS BH reminded me this week, all I can think is:
ARE WE THERE YET!!??!!??

Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 8:02 am 

Damn GS, you've got no idea just how close it was.

I rode down to the Buffalo Rally in Mossel Bay in the very early hours of Friday morning, planning to ride back Sunday and be back at work Sunday evening 5pm, but a stripped sprocket, damaged chain and then later a burst radiator saw me grounded. :wall: :wall: I ended up leaving the 'Busa there and flying back.

I'm so high on adrenaline now and got such a sore "a" from 11 hours in the saddle that I just can't sit down anymore!!! :big_eyes: :big_eyes: :big_eyes:

COME-ON SUMMA, COME_ON!!!

KEEP IT THAT WAY!!

18-21 April Balule

Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 11:22 am 

Hi to all the Trailers....

Just to confirm my sincere and complete utterly disgusting jealousy to all of you going.... :tongue: I hope you guys and girls will have an absolute blast... and I want to hear everything.... :pray:

Although I am jealous, I will see the Kruger sooner than you guys and most probably whilst you are trailling as well or rather as you come out of the trail... :whistle: Being neighbours :dance: , I only read my Sunday Paper in the Kruger, it's the only way to enjoy the news of the day.... Been in on Sunday and the Kruger is exceptionally beautiful this year... :mrgreen: and every creature, from the dugbeetles to the ellies are enjoying mother natures glory...

Enjoy, enjoy, enjoy..... :thumbs_up:

Can't wait to hear the story and see the photos... :cam: and to the ladies, enjoy the wash in the Olifants river....

Ciao,
Zorro

Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 2:56 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Zorro wrote:
and to the ladies, enjoy the wash in the Olifants river....

Ciao,
Zorro

And are we looking forward to that... :twisted: That will be the challange as to who will do that.

Sorry you could not make it. :cry:

Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 3:22 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Bathing , Olifants backpack trail Sept 2008 .

KNP is sacred. I am opposed to the modernisation of Kruger and from the depths of my soul long for the Kruger of yesteryear! 1000+km on foot in KNP incl 56 wild trails.200+ nights in the wildernessndloti-indigenous name for serval.

Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 3:26 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Thanks Zorro :thumbs_up:

Sawubona wrote:
And are we looking forward to that... :twisted: That will be the challange as to who will do that.

:lol: Sawubona :naughty: Well, not me..... 'Shotgun' me taking the video camera :lol: 8)

EISH Ndloti, dont make me want to drive down there now. Cool thing is: my holiday arrived a day earlier, I'm finished already :dance:

Last edited by G@mespotter on Thu Mar 26, 2009 7:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 11:48 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

You guys must really enjoy the trail! It is a wonderful opportunity only a few lucky people can experience! I do hope that everything will be great!

Yes, the river is flowing strongly at the moment! A real pity in one sense, since it is brilliant to be able to walk in the river it self! We did that last year and had excellent Buffalo and Croc. sightings!

But the river flowing strongly is just as great! Keep an eye open for those Pels!

BTW, please chase a few special animals up stream! :twisted: We will be walking up stream of you from the 6th!

Want to know more about the SANParks Honorary Rangers? Visit www.sanparkshr.org

One positive deed is worth more than a thousand critical words.

Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 7:20 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Thanks for the info Imberbe :thumbs_up: I'm already packed and ready, and know the others are so to.

The Pels are HIGH on my list...and I'm eager to check out the stars and hear all the sounds at night!

So where are Mr. Leadwood and the other 'special animals' heading? :twisted: :lol: No wonder you know so much of the bush, you're walking too much :tongue: Next time, you must join us!

Last edited by G@mespotter on Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:11 am 

We will be walking in the Klasserie for four days, also next to the Olifants. Can't wait!

You guys know this already ... but just to remind you ... watch your feet! That is the single most important factor on the Olifants Backpack! If it gets wet, stop and dry it. If it hurts, stop and give attention. Do not walk bare feet in "camp"! Even experienced guides have battled with their feet on this trail.

The most adrenaline walking next to the Olifants is in those reeds! They are like a curtain, hiding even the biggest! It can at times be real fun and really nerve wrecking at the same time.

I can't wait for the TR! Bring back the photos! :dance:

Want to know more about the SANParks Honorary Rangers? Visit www.sanparkshr.org

One positive deed is worth more than a thousand critical words.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 497 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34  Next