16-28 November Cape Town
29 November-20 January Darling

Pieter Steyn
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Tok-tokkie

Unread postby Pieter Steyn » Sun Oct 01, 2006 8:59 pm

Hi

ark, when we where kids, my cousin and I caught Tok-tokkies on my grand parents farm and placed them in their bed room on the wooden floors.

It was great fun to listen to them when my grand mother told my grand father that somebody is knocking on the door and he says now somebody is knocking on the room door and invite the person in, when the tok-tokkies started knocking on the wooden floor. He usually asked her "vrou is jy is jy bedek" women are you descent before he invited the unknown person into the room.

At this stage we usually started laughing, and started running. My grand father was a big man and he always walked around with a "seekooi sambok" and more than once threaten us that he will give us a hiding with it. (he never did) but we scared that he would and slept in the veld when we where naughty. The next day he was always full of smiles and asked us weather we enjoyed sleeping outside in the cold and sent us off to guard the sheep.

I know this have nothing to do with any of the parks, just thought about it when I saw your pic.

arks
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby arks » Sun Oct 01, 2006 11:17 pm

Thanks so much for your tok-tokkie tale, Pieter 8) I'd heard of the tok-tokkie beetle, but had never seen one, so was delighted to learn that this pic (which I'd originally posted for ID) was one :D Also, thanks to the mod who gave my piccie its own thread :wink:
RSA 2015
1-30 June Darling
30 June-8 July National Arts Festival, Grahamstown
8-15 July Mountain Zebra
16-22 July Cape Town
16-28 November Cape Town
29 November-20 January Darling

Return to “Insects and other invertebrates”