Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 37 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 8:01 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

well i know of someone who REALLY hates the solifuges that are often found at Shingwedzi flying along at night..... but then they are not exactly the cutest and nicest of arthropods... especially when they eat :)

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 8:04 am 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

I'm not sure of the English name but "rooi roman" gives me the jitters. My wife on the other hand love them and cannot wait to see one!

Post subject: critters
Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 8:40 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Birder of the Year (2013)
As far as the "rooi roman" it's the other way around with us.

I am absolutely terrified of frogs and mice. It is my "achilles heal". I'll scream like a grade 10 girl if I'd come across any of these 2. I'll refuse to enter my tent if it got in there. I'll sleep outside! I will pack up my tent and all with that thing inside.

Other stuff don't bother me much. Although it facinates me alot, I am however "versigtig" about venomous snakes, especially after seeing that almost 3m long black mamba near Shingwedzi.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 8:51 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Locusts and big moths give me the hibby jibbys! I too have been know to sound like a little girl in distress when confronted by any of those!

Post subject: Scorpions
Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 9:11 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Birder of the Year (2013)
Almost forgot one thing I am very wary of: Scorpion, shake out those shoes in the morning! One reason I don't wear shoes while in the park except for walks and hikes. Those dudes sting the living :evil: out of you! It's probably close to giving birth or passing kidney stones.

Post subject: Spiders
Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 4:10 pm 

Spiders!!! :evil: , even the word makes me scared.
I have no idea why a big guy like myself is so scared of a tiny little spider, but I am.
I was once at the Vaal dam and I was bitten by button spider.
I thought I was going to die. I saw my life passing me by. Only to be told that, that certain button spider was not poisonous.
But its like they say its not the poison that kills its the fear of dying that kills

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 4:28 pm 

Hi All

Its got to be snakes, they're beautiful creatures but am petrified of them.Had a close encounter with one(not sure what type?) at Satara. On the usual trip to the toilet at 3 in the morning with my lady, when all of a sudden she' s nearly jumping over my head, turning around to see what all the fuss is about theres a nice brown snake casually moving off. I had stepped over the snake not seeing it, only for my lady to nearly stand on it :shock: . As you can imagine im wide awake when going to the toilets at night nowadays :lol: .

Regards
Paul

Post subject: Re: Koring kriek
Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 8:51 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

wildtuinman wrote:
Has anyone experienced a park town prawn plaque in the Kruger? I did in May 2003. They were everywhere! As they are cannibalistic they were eating their buddies as the traffic killed them. Some birds had a feast!!

Hi Wildtuinman
We saw a huge number of them when we were driving from Pafuri gate towards Punda Maria. It was a bit like driving over bubble-wrap. My husband calls them "Jesus beetles" because when you see the size of them you exclaim "Jesus! What was that?" lol
Oops, should have said: that was in April 1999

Post subject: Re: Koring kriek
Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 7:03 am 

wildtuinman wrote:
Has anyone experienced a park town prawn plaque in the Kruger? I did in May 2003. They were everywhere! As they are cannibalistic they were eating their buddies as the traffic killed them. Some birds had a feast!!

Ugly sighting when you see it. We saw it in April 2004 between Orpen Gate and Satara.

And are they juicy or what!!

BTW, if you should bring a Scorpion to me I indemnify myself from any harm that may come to you or that ugh!! thing!!!.

They glow in the dark under UV lights. If an atomic bomb had to drop they and cocroaches would most probable be the only things to survive.

And have you seen them with babies on their back...

AAAGHH!!! :(

Happy thoughts, happy thoughts, in the meadows, nice clouds......

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 5:59 pm 

Any person scared of spiders hasn't run across a Giant Water Bug yet :shock: . It doesn't help when you read about it either :shock: :shock: . It eats anything it can over power, and it's a big bug.

Coolest bug, Tailess Whip Scorpion. Saw one outside the park at Swadini in the Blyde Canyon.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 6:35 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi all,

I think the bad ones for me are spiders and scorpions.
Last time in the park, in December, we were having a braii in Letaba when I saw a scorpion 50meters from my left foot ! I just went mad. I went to look for help and the ranger who came told me "it's still a baby but could have killed you ". It had the same venom as black mamba. It drives me mad just watching the pictures !!! About 20 of them had been seen that day in the camp. Has anyone experienced this ?
Few days later, braii in Skukuza and there a big spider appears, she came across an ant and ran away. That was funny !!!
I'm really scared but it's wildlife after all!

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 1:49 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

francoisd wrote:
I'm not sure of the English name but "rooi roman" gives me the jitters. My wife on the other hand love them and cannot wait to see one!

Rooi Roman = Red Roman, Camel spider, Wind Scorpion, False spider, Sun Spider/Scorpion, Falangar, Solifuge and many other names - take your pick!
It is not a true spider but a unique arachnid in it's own order, which is not poisonous but which can nevertheless give a nasty, painful bite.

I also love them to bits and search for them every time I am in the bush, along with some of my other favourite animals - the 3 S-es........ Snakes, spiders and scorps.

Having been stung twice on the hand by a (juvenile) buthidae scorpion and having lived to tell the tale, I am now fascinated by (but no longer afraid of) these creatures

Post subject: Spiders
Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 11:52 am 

Dear all,

During my childhood years in VBP i caught lots of snakes,
with a vorked twine, bought them back in a bucket.
During my adult years I have been chased by Ellie, Hippo, seen
mamba up close, had to replace a puffader and met very strange two-legged creatures.

But a Spider is my worst nightmare. Especially at night, around
the campfire. My eyes are always searching around my body.
Who tries to enter my domein :!: When fall comes to Holland
I enter the garden with a handheld stick high in the air to
avoid being sticked by a web. The fear of a spider on my body is very real. I can still remember the "Bobbejaanspider", the
red hairy one.

During camping in Kenia a friend of mine asked me to check out the back of the car. Bloody Hell, a saw a HAND moving on the ground. It was a "vogelspin", tarantula.

I think it has to do with the 8 legs and that the can run very fast, and escape very easy.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 9:05 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

I'm petrified of snakes, scorpions and spiders. I will seriously freak out if I come across one. When we were at Pretoriuskop there was a huge hairy spider on the sliding door, I nearly died! Are scorpions able to get into your bungalow? I'm never nervous when I am in the bungalow. Perhaps I should be a little more observant / worried?

The world belongs to the energetic

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 9:10 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Good Advice - Always look inside your shoes before putting them on! :lol: