Skip to Content

Insect: Picasso bug

Find, identify & discuss the insects of SANParks
Kreetja

Insect: Picasso bug

Unread postby Kreetja » Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:07 pm

Hi

i came across this site while tryin to ID some goggas i've found... it would be great if someone here can help as google definitely has its limitations when searching for things... (when i said green caterpillar i didn't mean earthmoving equipment)... :?

i'll start with this one but i have quite a few...
this little bug hitched a ride back on my shirt while out walking through the bush (white river)... it was only about 10-12mm in size... looks like someone got hold of a paintbrush and decorated it... someone said it was a type of stinkbug called a 'picasso bug'... is that what it is?... any ideas on scientific name and what it eats etc... (i hope this works to post the image... i'm new at this)

Imberbe
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Re: Insect ID needed

Unread postby Imberbe » Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:30 pm

Hi Kreetja

Beautiful creatures you saw! Insects are some of the most intricate, colorful and interesting organism in nature.

1. Yes, it does look like a stink bug / shield bug. Could not find the precise species though.

Imberbe = Combretum imberbe = Leadwood = Hardekool = The spirit of the Wildernis!

Want to know more about the SANParks Honorary Rangers? Visit www.sanparksvolunteers.org

One positive deed is worth more than a thousand critical words.

Imberbe

Re: Insect ID needed

Unread postby Imberbe » Sat Mar 20, 2010 1:40 pm

:dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Found it!

Not a stink beetle, but called a Picasso bug (Sphaerocoris)! (How appropriate!) :D

This is an adult, the nymph is yellow. Sucks juices from plants and feed in groups. Only found in the Northern part of SA.

:dance:
Imberbe = Combretum imberbe = Leadwood = Hardekool = The spirit of the Wildernis!

Want to know more about the SANParks Honorary Rangers? Visit www.sanparksvolunteers.org

One positive deed is worth more than a thousand critical words.

Return to “Insects and other invertebrates”