Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Insect ID needed
Unread postPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 10:06 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Yea!! That´s right! Now I can remember!!

Thank you so much Siobain and iNkwazi!!!

PLEASE NO HOTELS in KNP and PLEASE don´t change KNP into a Funpark!

KNP - Eyes and tracks behind the bush

Post subject: KNP Road Block???
Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:22 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi Mites. Does anyone know if this really happened? received from my son with no references or dates.

Jane (Hope the pics pasted as well, if not I will try another route)

This is the moment a group of tiny caterpillars formed an incredible 17ft long convoy to cross a road in the Kruger National Park.

Some 136 caterpillars made the single line and wriggled top-to-toe across the road, linked by a thin silk thread which set their path.

And their safety-in-numbers approach had the desired effect as the slow-moving convoy was easily seen by motorists, who were held up for 20 minutes as it made its way across.

Bumper to bumper: This slow moving convoy of migrating caterpillars was spotted in the Kruger National Park by Jamie Rooney, from High Wycombe, Bucks

The spectacle was captured on camera by British tourist Jamie Rooney, who was visiting the famous Kruger National Park in South Africa.

Jamie, from High Wycombe, Bucks, was in a Jeep full of tourists when their driver slammed the brakes just inches from the crawling caterpillars.

Jamie, 38, who works in website sales, said: "It was an incredible sight.

'We were out driving in Kruger National Park for a safari, when all of a sudden the driver shouted out and slammed on his brakes.'

'He managed to stop just in time in front of this amazing trail of caterpillars, which was stretching across the road.'

'Conservation is a massive deal in South Africa and the idea is that if there is any living creature in the road you have to wait patiently until it is safely across.'

'We got out to get a closer look and counted 136 caterpillars in convoy, all moving together across the track.'

'They were following a very, very thin silk thread on the ground and it took them about 20 minutes to get across the road safely.'

'Our guide had never seen it before, but he'd heard about it and explained they were migrating into the bush where they would disperse.'

'It's like the mass migration of bigger animals like wildebeest, but on a different scale and pace.'

'When they arrive in the bush, they turn into chrysalis and then butterflies.'

'It's a rare sight. It was an absolute joy to watch and a great experience to be able to get down close and see it first hand.'

This incredible convoy is the ultimate commuter train - a trail of tiny caterpillars heading off into the bush. An amazing 136 caterpillars wriggled top-to-toe across
a road on their migratory route in Kruger National Park, South Africa.

Hold up: Traffic stopped while the slow-moving caterpillar convoy crossed the road

Post subject: Re: KNP Road Block???
Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:35 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

I received the same mail from a friend.
I honestly do not know if this is a genuine story - but I have seen these caterpillar - I think they are called processionary caterpillar/worms. I was hiking at the time and there were far too many to think of counting. I did manage to get some shots of them on a tree stump.

here is another link on the forum
http://www.sanparks.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=5048
{Edit by DQ, merged the topics, so that link doesn't work anymore.}

SAY NO TO HOTEL DEVELOPMENT IN KRUGER !

Post subject: Re: Processionary caterpillars
Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:59 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Jane, I also received the email - here are the pics :D
I have seen this before, facinating!

Post subject: Caterpillar Migration
Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 2:20 pm 

Hey guys i got this email yesterday. Not sure if i can post the pictures (copy write and stuff) if not then please delete this thread.

This is was taken straight from the email:

" This is the moment a group of tiny caterpillars formed an incredible 17ft long convoy to cross a road in the Kruger National Park. Some 136 caterpillars made the single line and wriggled top-to-toe across the road, linked by a thin silk thread which set their path. And their safety-in-numbers approach had the desired effect as the slow-moving convoy was easily seen by motorists, who were held up for 20 minutes as it made its way across.

The spectacle was captured on camera by British tourist Jamie Rooney, who was visiting the famous Kruger National Park in South Africa. Jamie, from High Wycombe, Bucks, was in a Jeep full of tourists when their driver slammed the brakes just inches from the crawling caterpillars. Jamie, 38, who works in website sales, said: "It was an incredible sight. 'We were out driving in Kruger National Park for a safari, when all of a sudden the driver shouted out and slammed on his brakes.' 'He managed to stop just in time in front of this amazing trail of caterpillars, which was stretching across the road.' 'Conservation is a massive deal in South Africa and the idea is that if there is any living creature in the road you have to wait patiently until it is safely across.' 'We got out to get a closer look and counted 136 caterpillars in convoy, all moving together across the track.' 'They were following a very, very thin silk thread on the ground and it took them about 20 minutes to get across the road safely.' 'Our guide had never seen it before, but he'd heard about it and explained they were migrating into the bush where they would disperse.' 'It's like the mass migration of bigger animals like wildebeest, but on a different scale and pace.' 'When they arrive in the bush, they turn into chrysalis and then butterflies.' 'It's a rare sight. It was an absolute joy to watch and a great experience to be able to get down close and see it firsthand’

FINISHED ARTICLE"

did anyone else witness this ?

Yet again Kruger shows off its true Beauty :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 9:19 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Wonderful sight. Unfortunately, tourists and Jeep Jockeys also, once again, break the rules in Kruger...

I believe that for man to survive, we must work with nature rather than against her. We need the land; the land doesn't need us. Too many people have lost sight of this fact. - Bruce Truter

Unread postPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 9:30 am 

It is a wonderful experience to see these worms.

However.
They can cause a huge discomfort as the hairs can cause a very severe burning pain when you come in contact with it.
In Holland these worms are particular to Oak trees and when summer comes they nest in the Oak trees alongside the roads by the millions.
When driving underneath those trees the hairs enter the cars via the air-con or air freshening system and cause great discomfort for the driver and passengers.
They get rid of them by using an overgrown vacuum cleaner and suck all the worms from the trees.

Unread postPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 11:10 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Nice sighting :thumbs_up: but have to agree with bishop.
:naughty: :naughty:

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit." Aristotle

Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:55 pm 

And yet again this is another first for me. Never seen something like this before! ALL ABOARD, THE WORM TRAIN!!

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

Unread postPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 11:40 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Somewhere up north about 20 years ago .

KNP is sacred. I am opposed to the modernisation of Kruger and from the depths of my soul long for the Kruger of yesteryear! 1000+km on foot in KNP incl 56 wild trails.200+ nights in the wildernessndloti-indigenous name for serval.