Darker CommodoreGenus: Precis antilope
* Species to this genus are robust, medium-sized, brightly coloured nymphalines.
* Their flight is fast, agile. They are often found sitting on the ground with their wings slowly opening and closing.
* Very fond of flowers.
* Eggs are laid singly. Bulb-shaped, green to yellowish in colour.
* Male wingspan: 40 - 55 mm
* Female wingspan: 50 - 60 mm
The Darker Commodore's flight is slow for a specie from this genus - and it is often seen on flowers or rocks.Distribution:
Scarce and localised. Lowland Forests, Savanna and lowveld areas from KwaZulu Natal ( Eshowe and Maputaland) to Swaziland, Mpumalanga and Limpopo and North West, as far south as in Brits.Habitat:
Hill tops and flatlandsFlight Period
- December to March, and simia
from April to August.
First photo shows Male upperside and second photo shows upper and little bit of male underside - f.antilope
Photo taken end of December 2009 at Nylsvley Nature Reserve.