Skip to Content

Butterfly: Commodore: Darker

Find, identify & discuss the insects of SANParks
naomi c
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Dark commodore

Unread postby naomi c » Thu Feb 11, 2010 3:22 pm

This time I won't even try - please help!

Last edited by naomi c on Thu May 17, 2012 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BushSnake

Re: Butterfly / moth ID needed

Unread postby BushSnake » Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:35 pm

If you don't have a go at it yourself, you'll never learn them. I'd love to meet the person who has never made a mistake when identifying something... So this is the last time I'll help you if you don't try yourself :naughty: It may help to know that we have to id photos on the SABCA virtual museum, and on many occasions have the experts disagreed over identifications of really common butterflies :)

That first butterfly is a Dark commodore / Precis antilope. They are relatively common in that area, but it is still a buttefly that very few people here would have seen so it's a good record!
"If you can only visit two continents in your lifetime, visit Africa.... TWICE" - R.Elliot

Yolandé Oelsen
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Butterfly: Commodore: Darker

Unread postby Yolandé Oelsen » Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:46 am

Darker Commodore

Genus: Precis antilope

* Species to this genus are robust, medium-sized, brightly coloured nymphalines.
* Their flight is fast, agile. They are often found sitting on the ground with their wings slowly opening and closing.
* Very fond of flowers.
* Eggs are laid singly. Bulb-shaped, green to yellowish in colour.
* Male wingspan: 40 - 55 mm
* Female wingspan: 50 - 60 mm

The Darker Commodore's flight is slow for a specie from this genus - and it is often seen on flowers or rocks.

Distribution: Scarce and localised. Lowland Forests, Savanna and lowveld areas from KwaZulu Natal ( Eshowe and Maputaland) to Swaziland, Mpumalanga and Limpopo and North West, as far south as in Brits.
Habitat: Hill tops and flatlands
Flight Period: antilope - December to March, and simia from April to August.

First photo shows Male upperside and second photo shows upper and little bit of male underside - f.antilope

Photo taken end of December 2009 at Nylsvley Nature Reserve.
www.whereeaglesrest.co.za
STIFFNECK
"I'll rise up like the Eagle & I will soar with You because Your Spirit leads me on ~ by the Power of Your Love"

Return to “Insects and other invertebrates”