View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 9:31 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Quote:
Good Advice 2

Learnt by the hard way: Red Roman Spider + Santie's foot = Total chaos! :oops: I can laugh about it now, but nasty surprise. Lucky it didn't bite for some reason.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 10:04 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Quote:
Good Advice 2 - Never reach into anything you can't clearly see eg. pots, your bags etc.

Amen to that! Although I am not afraid of any creepy-crawly-critter, the scorpion stings that I mentioned above came about during a visit to my Nursery's sponsored child in a very remote area in Kenya.

His mother had made a clay pot for me as a thank you gift. After receiving the gift I took it over to the World Vision vehicle and found a carrier bag to wrap it in, tucking the bag inside the pot, afraid that it may break on the goat track 'road' back to Nyatiki.

Unbeknown to me, a small scorpion had made it's home in the bottom of the pot and when I received the (very painful) double sting (on the heel of my hand and the first joint of my little finger) as I wrapped it, I simply assumed that there was a piece of thorn tree inside the pot which I had caught my hand on.

That night in Nyatiki and the following 3 days, which I spent visiting friends in Capetown, I was feeling quite ill with breathing difficulties and abdominal pains but assumed that I had caught a nasty virus - until I was packing for the next leg of my trip to Johannesburg and saw, on the bedroom floor next to the pot, a very large 'ant'.

My CT friend came to look and was horrified to see that it was a tiny thick-tailed scorp, subsequently identified in Joeys (I took it with me in a jar) by a Field-guide friend as a baby buthidae! She asked about my symptoms, looked at the swellings on my hand and wanted to take me to hospital immediately but, as it had, by then, been 4 days since being stung I declined as I was not only still breathing but the symptoms had also gone.

My Field guide friend said that I was extremely lucky that it was a baby scorp because, although their venom is as powerful as that of an adult, it's sting was small and she could only presume that it had not penetrated beyond the upper skin layers which meant that I had not recieved the 'full dose' of venom and/or that only a tiny amount of venom had entered my bloodstream.

In spite of this, I am still facinated by scorps and other venomous critters.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 10:10 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Ouch! You are very lucky tabs! Scorpions are surprisingly transportable little critters...

My pot story comes from the farm where our next door neighbours wife reached up to a pot above her head in the pantry and promptly felt the thud of a cobra on her head. :shock:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 6:44 am 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Twiga wrote:
Are scorpions able to get into your bungalow? I'm never nervous when I am in the bungalow. Perhaps I should be a little more observant / worried?

Few things I learned on my F-I-L farm.

Shake your boots / shoes out to make sure nothing is in it. Before you get into bed, shake all the covers to make sure nothing in it.

Be vigilant Twiga, but don't worry as it happens less often than more. Things to look out for when shaking all those things, snakes, spiders and scorpions.

You worry too much...bwana is a stong man...how do you think he became a musketeer...he'll take care of you... :lol:

PS: Let him shake all the boots / shoes / towels / bedding. :lol:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 4:39 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

bwana wrote:
I am sure poisenous or not a sting would be incredibly painful.

My mother was stung by a scorpion when I was a baby. She was busy bathing me and went to get a facecloth out of the cupboard to wash my face. She felt a prick and proceeded to shake the facecloth out over the bath (with baby sitting in it!) when a scorpion fell out. She quickly grabbed me out with one hand and then went to the doctor. Luckily it was'nt poisonous (thick-tailed) but her hand was swollen to double it's normal size and was EXTREMELY painful for weeks afterwards. In case anyone is wondering, we lived in Windhoek in Namibia for a couple of years.

The world belongs to the energetic

Post subject: ietsie bietsie spider
Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 12:35 pm 

Photographed this during lunch yesterday. Have not yet seen one like this. Although I did not find the spider in one of the parks I would really appreciate it if someone can identify it for me.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 1:03 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Agree Meg. Looks like a Golden Baboon Spider. It has that typical "shield-like" carapace

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 1:07 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

LOL, yeah, I should imagine he didn't like that at all!

These sorts of spiders are actually kind of cool, but not the sort of thing I enjoy having crawling around on my arms. If it is the golden baboon spider as GP says then I've found the following:

"This is the kind of spider that nightmares are made of. They have large fat bodies, and both the body and the legs are thickly covered in hair, making the spider seem even more bulkier than it really is, and giving it the most frightening appearance.
By spider standards, baboon spiders are particularly long-lived. Whilst most spiders live for only a year or so, baboon spiders have a lifespan of up to 25 years. They take between 8 and 10 years to reach maturity.
They spend most of their time either inside or very near their nests, which are usually silk lined holes in the ground, reaching down some 30 – 40cm. If alarmed near its nest the spider may rear up on its hind legs, with its front legs and fangs poised to strike downwards at its adversary.
When it adopts this formidable posture you can see its sharp, 5mm brown fangs, surrounded by reddish hairs.
The fangs can inflict a painful bite, but the bite is not dangerously venomous and presents no serious threat to humans"

Please go back and measure the fangs Francois- if they're 5mm we may have a winner :P

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 1:19 pm 

Meg wrote:
This is the kind of spider that nightmares are made of. They have large fat bodies, and both the body and the legs are thickly covered in hair, making the spider seem even more bulkier than it really is, and giving it the most frightening appearance.
If alarmed near its nest the spider may rear up on its hind legs, with its front legs and fangs poised to strike downwards at its adversary.
When it adopts this formidable posture you can see its sharp, 5mm brown fangs, surrounded by reddish hairs.
The fangs can inflict a painful bite, but the bite is not dangerously venomous and presents no serious threat to humans"

Please go back and measure the fangs Francois- if they're 5mm we may have a winner :P

The only animal in this planet i am really scared of :!:
Shudder Shudder
I wont tip it with my tripod. Ill be long gone by then :shock:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 2:01 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Totally agree Bert, spiders scare me to death. In fact, most insects, spiders and snakes. If they enter my comfort zone, I leave..... quickly.

Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away

Post subject: Jumping spiders
Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 11:21 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

They had a very interesting programme on them last night on TV. Now there's no way of convincing hubby they don't cause HUGE damage to your health! :lol: One of them called Portia is actually quite intelligent mimicking a cuber-spider on a screen infront of her. On top of that she's considered the ultimate hunter. Combined with some other spider nasties it could be the beginning of a "super-spider".

Post subject: Re: Jumping spiders
Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 11:30 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Birder of the Year (2013)
As for spiders: I don't like big ones. Those blokes which is bigger that a daddy long legs. I also don't like venomous ones. A "viool" once bit me on the toe and it was a rietmaraal to not get my toe amputated. It created a hole in my lower leg, on the shin. These marks takes hell long to heel let me tell you that. The hairy ones aren't one of my fav's too as a "bobejaan" was once sitting on my chest licking his paws and tjops when I woke up during the night.

But as far as I know no-one has been killed by a spider in South Africa in the past 50 years. Many people suffered like the current west indian cricket team after been bitten by them though.

Super-spider? I hope I pass that one. :lol:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 12:46 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Birder of the Year (2013)
Guinea Pig wrote:
@Bert: Whenever you see one of those little black ones with white markings - I let them climb onto my hand or arm and tease them. They are SO cute. They get onto their back legs and look REALLY mean. :wink:

If u r colourblind then best is to leave any small black spiders with white markings on their body alone. Those white could be red and then u r in for an unpleasent surprise courtesy of the Black Widow.

Guinea Pig wrote:
Is there any truth in the belief that they are actually deadly poisonous but too small to get hold of you properly?

Which ones? Those little black ones with white markings? Dunno.

Follow me as I bird on Twitter @wildtuinman

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 12:52 pm 

Guinea Pig wrote:
@Bert: Whenever you see one of those little black ones with white markings - I let them climb onto my hand or arm and tease them. They are SO cute. They get onto their back legs and look REALLY mean. :wink:

Over here we have what we call zebra spiders.
Look a lot like yr description. They are jumpy spiders and can
be found on walls for eg. Like to tease them. They perform as
u descriped. Look a bit like grumpy old men

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 1:45 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Can one find black widow in SA ?