Good Advice 2 - Never reach into anything you can't clearly see eg. pots, your bags etc.
Amen to that! Although I am not afraid of any creepy-crawly-critter, the scorpion stings that I mentioned above came about during a visit to my Nursery's sponsored child in a very remote area in Kenya.
His mother had made a clay pot for me as a thank you gift. After receiving the gift I took it over to the World Vision vehicle and found a carrier bag to wrap it in, tucking the bag inside the pot, afraid that it may break on the goat track 'road' back to Nyatiki.
Unbeknown to me, a small scorpion had made it's home in the bottom of the pot and when I received the (very painful) double sting (on the heel of my hand and the first joint of my little finger) as I wrapped it, I simply assumed that there was a piece of thorn tree inside the pot which I had caught my hand on.
That night in Nyatiki and the following 3 days, which I spent visiting friends in Capetown, I was feeling quite ill with breathing difficulties and abdominal pains but assumed that I had caught a nasty virus - until I was packing for the next leg of my trip to Johannesburg and saw, on the bedroom floor next to the pot, a very large 'ant'.
My CT friend came to look and was horrified to see that it was a tiny thick-tailed scorp, subsequently identified in Joeys (I took it with me in a jar) by a Field-guide friend as a baby buthidae! She asked about my symptoms, looked at the swellings on my hand and wanted to take me to hospital immediately but, as it had, by then, been 4 days since being stung I declined as I was not only still breathing but the symptoms had also gone.
My Field guide friend said that I was extremely lucky that it was a baby scorp because, although their venom is as powerful as that of an adult, it's sting was small and she could only presume that it had not penetrated beyond the upper skin layers which meant that I had not recieved the 'full dose' of venom and/or that only a tiny amount of venom had entered my bloodstream.
In spite of this, I am still facinated by scorps and other venomous critters.