SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 7:10 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Funny how it's always the small stuff that really drives us nuts. :D
Except of course mozzies, that's a different story!

Last edited by Guinea Pig on Thu Jan 20, 2005 7:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 5:59 pm 

Any person scared of spiders hasn't run across a Giant Water Bug yet :shock: . It doesn't help when you read about it either :shock: :shock: . It eats anything it can over power, and it's a big bug.

Coolest bug, Tailess Whip Scorpion. Saw one outside the park at Swadini in the Blyde Canyon.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 6:08 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Hi CW! Nice to see a new Alias amonst us. First thing you need to know - look for the topic "The lesser-spotted forum member", read carefully!

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 6:34 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi all,

I think the bad ones for me are spiders and scorpions.
Last time in the park, in December, we were having a braii in Letaba when I saw a scorpion 50meters from my left foot ! I just went mad. I went to look for help and the ranger who came told me "it's still a baby but could have killed you ". It had the same venom as black mamba. It drives me mad just watching the pictures !!! About 20 of them had been seen that day in the camp. Has anyone experienced this ?
Few days later, braii in Skukuza and there a big spider appears, she came across an ant and ran away. That was funny !!!
I'm really scared but it's wildlife after all!

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 6:35 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi all,

Last time in the park, in December, we were having a braii in Letaba when I saw a scorpion 50meters from my left foot ! I just went mad. I went to look for help and the ranger who came told me "it's still a baby but could have killed you ". It had the same venom as black mamba. It drives me mad just watching the pictures !!! About 20 of them had been seen that day in the camp. Has anyone experienced this ?
Few days later, braii in Skukuza and there a big spider appears, she came across an ant and ran away. That was funny !!!
I'm really scared but it's wildlife after all!

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 9:24 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Elena wrote:
Hi all,

Last time in the park, in December, we were having a braii in Letaba when I saw a scorpion 50meters from my left foot !

Sounds familiar! My sister in law lives on Pidwa (part of Makalali), and while staying with her in December we had a black scorpion as a shower companion! Having grown up on a farm in the Lowveld it normally wouldn't have bothered me, but being pregnant I nearly did my nut - city slicker extroadinaire impression! :lol:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 1:49 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

francoisd wrote:
I'm not sure of the English name but "rooi roman" gives me the jitters. My wife on the other hand love them and cannot wait to see one!

Rooi Roman = Red Roman, Camel spider, Wind Scorpion, False spider, Sun Spider/Scorpion, Falangar, Solifuge and many other names - take your pick!
It is not a true spider but a unique arachnid in it's own order, which is not poisonous but which can nevertheless give a nasty, painful bite.

I also love them to bits and search for them every time I am in the bush, along with some of my other favourite animals - the 3 S-es........ Snakes, spiders and scorps.

Having been stung twice on the hand by a (juvenile) buthidae scorpion and having lived to tell the tale, I am now fascinated by (but no longer afraid of) these creatures

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 11:25 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Elena wrote:

Letaba when I saw a scorpion 50meters from my left foot !

The distance was 50cm to 1m and not 50m. It was next to the fridge and I was sitting at the table.

Post subject: Spiders
Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 11:52 am 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Dear all,

During my childhood years in VBP i caught lots of snakes,
with a vorked twine, bought them back in a bucket.
During my adult years I have been chased by Ellie, Hippo, seen
mamba up close, had to replace a puffader and met very strange two-legged creatures.

But a Spider is my worst nightmare. Especially at night, around
the campfire. My eyes are always searching around my body.
Who tries to enter my domein :!: When fall comes to Holland
I enter the garden with a handheld stick high in the air to
avoid being sticked by a web. The fear of a spider on my body is very real. I can still remember the "Bobbejaanspider", the
red hairy one.

During camping in Kenia a friend of mine asked me to check out the back of the car. Bloody Hell, a saw a HAND moving on the ground. It was a "vogelspin", tarantula.

I think it has to do with the 8 legs and that the can run very fast, and escape very easy.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 9:05 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

I'm petrified of snakes, scorpions and spiders. I will seriously freak out if I come across one. When we were at Pretoriuskop there was a huge hairy spider on the sliding door, I nearly died! Are scorpions able to get into your bungalow? I'm never nervous when I am in the bungalow. Perhaps I should be a little more observant / worried?

The world belongs to the energetic

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 9:10 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Good Advice - Always look inside your shoes before putting them on! :lol:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 9:26 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Good Advice 2 - Never reach into anything you can't clearly see eg. pots, your bags etc.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 9:31 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Quote:
Good Advice 2

Learnt by the hard way: Red Roman Spider + Santie's foot = Total chaos! :oops: I can laugh about it now, but nasty surprise. Lucky it didn't bite for some reason.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 10:04 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Quote:
Good Advice 2 - Never reach into anything you can't clearly see eg. pots, your bags etc.

Amen to that! Although I am not afraid of any creepy-crawly-critter, the scorpion stings that I mentioned above came about during a visit to my Nursery's sponsored child in a very remote area in Kenya.

His mother had made a clay pot for me as a thank you gift. After receiving the gift I took it over to the World Vision vehicle and found a carrier bag to wrap it in, tucking the bag inside the pot, afraid that it may break on the goat track 'road' back to Nyatiki.

Unbeknown to me, a small scorpion had made it's home in the bottom of the pot and when I received the (very painful) double sting (on the heel of my hand and the first joint of my little finger) as I wrapped it, I simply assumed that there was a piece of thorn tree inside the pot which I had caught my hand on.

That night in Nyatiki and the following 3 days, which I spent visiting friends in Capetown, I was feeling quite ill with breathing difficulties and abdominal pains but assumed that I had caught a nasty virus - until I was packing for the next leg of my trip to Johannesburg and saw, on the bedroom floor next to the pot, a very large 'ant'.

My CT friend came to look and was horrified to see that it was a tiny thick-tailed scorp, subsequently identified in Joeys (I took it with me in a jar) by a Field-guide friend as a baby buthidae! She asked about my symptoms, looked at the swellings on my hand and wanted to take me to hospital immediately but, as it had, by then, been 4 days since being stung I declined as I was not only still breathing but the symptoms had also gone.

My Field guide friend said that I was extremely lucky that it was a baby scorp because, although their venom is as powerful as that of an adult, it's sting was small and she could only presume that it had not penetrated beyond the upper skin layers which meant that I had not recieved the 'full dose' of venom and/or that only a tiny amount of venom had entered my bloodstream.

In spite of this, I am still facinated by scorps and other venomous critters.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 10:10 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Ouch! You are very lucky tabs! Scorpions are surprisingly transportable little critters...

My pot story comes from the farm where our next door neighbours wife reached up to a pot above her head in the pantry and promptly felt the thud of a cobra on her head. :shock:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next