Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 88 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Scorpions
Unread postPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 2:12 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

I see there is a lot of talk about snakes, but I have had more encounters of scorpions, my hubby was stung one evening! A lesson for all! Any stories re scorpions?

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 2:34 pm 

Not a story but you have to be carefull around the camps in KNP spesially at night they are all over.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 2:49 pm 

A lot of scorpions at KTP as well... especially hot, windy summer nights!

ALWAYS check your shoes in the morning before putting them on! And don't stick your hand into a hole... I know that it is stupid but sometimes you do things without thinking... and from experience a scorpion stung is quite painful! :redface:

However they don't deserve to be killed so just be on the lookout, wear closed shoes - especially at night and take care!

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 2:53 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Although a lot of scorpion stings occur on the feet, it seems that we do not protect our hands ! A pair of thick leather gloves now accompany us to all NP holidays and weekends. Hubby was stung on the finger when taking wood out of the bag ...and by one of the most venomous scorpions as well. He just made it to the Phalaborwa hospital...
I also had an encounter with a Pharabuthus in Kgalagadi once (was in April), was not stung, but it was close.....

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 2:57 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

If camping in arid parks best thing is to take your shoes with you in the sleeping compartment of the tent.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 4:32 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
FAC Member (2012)
Scorpions will not attack, they just defend themselves when threatened. Most stings occur when the stung person was not aware of the scorpion.
I have seen quite a few in KTP from close range and they just want to get away or be left in peace.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 7:51 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

That counts for most wild animals, they are more scared of us than we of them. But we do share the same environment, and this little bugger climbed into our wood - always a place to be aware of scorpions!
Because hospitals and dr's are often so far from these places, the treatment is quite important and one has to be prepared. ICE AND CELESTAMINE. O and my doctor told me to give the person a hand-ful of cortizones immediately with the celestamines, it works. But ice is no.1

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 7:56 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Birder of the Year (2013)
muldooy wrote:
He just made it to the Phalaborwa hospital...

As far as I understand people don't die from the venom itself, but rather from shock instead.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 9:19 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi Wildtuinman, quite correct. When my hubby arrived at Phalaborwa hospital they kept him overnight for observation, reason being that his blood pressure went through the roof! Apparently it is the body's response to the pain and that is the danger. But the ice helped to keep the pain in control and the venom from spreading faster. They immediately gave him a local anaesthetic to stop the pain.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 10:13 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Birder of the Year (2013)
Thanks for sharing your experience here. :wink: I think this is vital info.

BTW. A gentle warning. I too had a scorpion crwaling over my hand @ satara once after picking a piece of firewood up.

I got such a "skrik" that the lil fella fell into the fire, after I had shaken my hand nearly clean off my arm, and got a burning sensation himself.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 10:59 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

An easy way to find scorpions at night is by using an ultra violet light.
Scorpions will reflect the ultra violet light in the same way as white T-shirts reflect blacklight (is that also ultra violet light?).
I have a small torch that has only one ultra violet LED but with that torch I can find scorpions up to 6 meters away.
If you walk in a camp at night you'll be amazed how many scorpions you can find.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 3:16 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Yes it is good to share these experiences with others, can only help.
I believe the most important is also to get the victim into a vehicle and start driving immediately to the closest hospital.
Take the scorpion with if you can.
Always have more than just the driver and the victim in the car - someone else who can help when there is an emergency so the driver does not have to stop.
Also a lesson we learnt.
We should actually open a post "what to do in an emergency" in the Parks - may save a life.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 3:27 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

I have no problem with such a topic - but I do think we need to be careful not to make too much of this and frighten visitors. For instance, it took several visits at various times of year, before I saw a scorpion - and I love the smaller animals not just the big 5. Mind you, I wasn't using UV light! Outside of summer I suspect you will be 'lucky' to see one.

The same goes for most other emergencies - whether snakes, elephants or poachers. 20 years ago, there were even warnings in the huts on what to do in case of insurrection! OK, advice on what to do when approached by elephant - but not to make it seem that several tourists are killed or injured every year in the Kruger.

Richard

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 3:34 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Richard, you are so right. I agree, but when it does happen it is quite a relief to know what to do. As I say, to share this 'for in case only" it may save someone oneday. I think its because I like to be prepared....also enjoy the smaller animals more and get to know them, their habits and their role in nature - it will be such a pleasure if more people can understand the big picture...not only the big 5!

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 6:05 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Cool tip about finding scorpions, Madach. Thanks! I haven't seen a scorpion for years, and I would love to show one to my son (with all due care, and from a safe distance, of course!).