Skip to Content

Scorpions

Find, identify & discuss the insects of SANParks
suebfly

Re: Scorpions - Best place in Kruger?

Unread postby suebfly » Fri May 10, 2013 5:46 pm

Saw loads and loads in Shimuwini in December . Did not walk a step outside without a torch they were all round the cottage. I bought a brilliant uv light on line from a supplier in Johannesburg found by google - was not cheap but makes the scorpions look like aliens = stunning

Batmad
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Scorpion, Transvaal Thick Tailed

Unread postby Batmad » Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:37 am

Whilst in Letaba rest camp doing some work on bats at the beginning of the year I encountered this fella, Parabuthus transvaalicus, an awesome specimen and I was beyond privileged to have spent time admiring it!

For those of you who do not know, this species, and in fact all the other species in this family, are considered medically important and one should seek medical attention immediately if stung. One should also be careful of getting too close to some of the individuals in this family as they are said to be able to spray their venom a short distance however I have never personally had the privilege of seeing this.

Avid birder, wildlife enthusiast and photographer with a special interest in Bats and Birds

2014 Birding Big Year- A 365 Day quest for 800 Species of Southern African Birds

PNF
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Re: Scorpion, Transvaal Thick Tailed

Unread postby PNF » Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:17 am

Ah! yes! We found one of these in our chalet in Shingwedzi last November....... in the bedding :shock:
Fortunately neither of us were stung and, having reported it to the camp manager, it was removed and deposited back into the veldt. It had apparently made a nest(?) in the base of the bed underneath the mattress and could have been there for some time.
Would not recommend walking barefoot when these are around.........
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
Benjamin Franklin

Us and The Ant:
Shingwedzi 20 - 24 Aug
Tsendze 24 Aug - 5 Sept

yoda
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Re: Scorpions

Unread postby yoda » Sat Jan 11, 2014 7:25 pm

So I bought myself a UV torch.

Searched the ground and trees thoroughly in the camps we stayed in: Skukuza and Satara yielded nothing.

But there were loads of these in the trees at Lower Sabie.
Mostly in small holes or under bark, but this one came out and was walking along a branch.

Using a normal torch.

Under the UV torch.

yoda
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby yoda » Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:39 am

Trrp-trrrrrrrr wrote::big_eyes: That is one massive scorpion :clap: ...Yoda.

Thanks for sharing :thumbs_up:

Thanks.
Yup, it was about 10cm or so.

Does anyone know what species it is?
I have Jonathan Leeming's book, but can't quite seem to match it up.

Scottm

Unread postby Scottm » Thu Dec 18, 2014 6:14 pm

Any takers on identifying this critter? Looks like it could be a juvenile parabuthus Transvaalicus? Saw two of them in Shingwezi around the braai last week - probably about 2 inches pincers to tail, so small in size. Had a confirmed sighting of a large parabuthus Transvaalicus last month, also in Shingwezi, but this one is much smaller and far lighter in colour.
"Take nothing but memories, leave nothing but footprints"

Photographs help to crystallize memories, but cannot be seen to be a replacement of them!

kssager

Unread postby kssager » Wed Jun 17, 2015 3:53 am

I am coming to Kruger for the first full week in August. Trying to see as much wildlife as possible, and this includes the little ones as well. Definitely would like to see a scorpion. However, I know it will be winter there. What are the chances that I would be able to see scorpion in August? 3 nights croc bridge, 3 nights Tamboti. Was going to purchase a UV flashlight, but may hold off if no chance in seeing one. Thanks in advance for any help.

George_Brits
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby George_Brits » Wed Jun 17, 2015 7:17 am

Hi Kssager,

You get relatively cheap UV flash lights (priced around R100) if you want to go scorpion hunting, although they are less active in wintertime during the really cold nights.

Please just ensure that you don't lift rocks while you are scorpion hunting as you might discover something bigger than a scorpion and that will liven things up a bit :lol:

yoda
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby yoda » Mon Jun 22, 2015 5:37 pm

kssager wrote:I am coming to Kruger for the first full week in August. Trying to see as much wildlife as possible, and this includes the little ones as well. Definitely would like to see a scorpion. However, I know it will be winter there. What are the chances that I would be able to see scorpion in August? 3 nights croc bridge, 3 nights Tamboti. Was going to purchase a UV flashlight, but may hold off if no chance in seeing one. Thanks in advance for any help.

I bought a cheap UV light off the internet (Ebay).
Was about £5. (R95)
I saw Scorpions regularly at Lower Sabie.
But despite extensive searching, did not see them at Skukuza or Satara.

Return to “Insects and other invertebrates”