Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 250 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 17  Next
 Post subject: Re: Which camp? Berg & dal or Pretoriuskop
Unread postPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 7:10 pm 

On the other hand the pool at Pretoriuskop is fantastic and you may find it handy when entertaining a little one. Plus the impala wandering around the camp can be quite entertaining for kids.

Post subject: Re: Which camp? Berg & dal or Pretoriuskop
Unread postPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 7:14 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2012)
If its camping Definitely Berg and Dal. the sites are nicely shaded lot of perimeter sites too. And if the LO needs anything you can pop into malelane for supplies .
Nice walk around the perimeter and easy for a LO

Post subject: Re: Accommodation - ask all your questions here
Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 3:56 am 

Meandering Mouse wrote:
You will need a "blue plug" adaptor.

What configuration is a 'blue plug' adaptor - my google-fu isn't up to finding it!

I'll be visiting Kruger from Australia in a couple of months - I already have a standard South African adaptor and a range of others, I'm wondering if one of them might be compatible with your blue plug...

Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:04 am 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
This is what they were referring to

These are needed when camping......not when you're staying in the chalets.

Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 5:03 pm 

Quote:
So we came to the party a bit late and had to take whatever accommodation we could get. (Not letting that phase me - just looking forward to getting there). But it means we have a communal kitchen at Pretoriuskop. Does anyone know what that entails. We also don't have utensils! Does everyone generally just bring their own? Can you tell I'm new to this bush thing?

Hi Carey

One is never too late to go to KNP. Pretoriuskop is a lovely camp with a really old world charm about it.

The communal kitchen will provide cooking plates (stove plates) and boiling water and dish washing facilities. Any utensils you might need you will have to take along. Crockery and cutlery.

How long are you there? Do you want to self cater a lot, or are you happy to eat in the restaurant?

A roaring lion does not catch any prey - African Proverb

Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:53 pm 

There may be a utensils box that you can rent from reception.

Have fun.

Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 7:47 am 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
Just something we did not think of when we last stayed in skukuza.......the communal kitchens washing up facilities do not have plugs........take one with. We now have one permanently in our luggage.

Post subject: Orpen & Pretoriuskop.... Will we be sorry?
Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 8:41 am 

Our 3-generation family is spending 12 days at the Kruger December 2-13. We've been to Kruger a number of times in the past, but are having trouble booking the accommodation we wanted. We really wanted cottages where we could stay together, rather than risk being spread out in rondavels. There are 6 of us - 4 adults/2 children, plus a 1 year old baby. We're doing 4 nights in Shimuwini, and then wanted 4 nights in the Satara area and 4 nights in the south. No family cottages are available in Satara, so I booked at Orpen. What is Orpen like? Will we wish we had booked Talamati?

In the south, the only place that had what we needed for our dates was Pretoriuskop. Will I be sorry? Is it too far away from the best game drives in the south? I am wondering if we should get 2 rondavels in Croc Bridge, instead. Nothing is available at Berg-en-dal for our dates, and we aren't crazy about this camp, anyway. We'd go to Biyamiti in a heartbeat, but Biyamiti's cottages allow only 5 people, so we'd have to get two. Pricy!

We'd really appreciate your input. We're coming from Washington State. We love Kruger!

Post subject: Re: Orpen & Pretoriuskop.... Will we be sorry?
Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 8:56 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi YDJanet.
With regards to rest camp atmosphere, in my opinion the little bush camps (like Talamati and Biyamiti) will always be better than the larger camps. I can't say much about the standard of accommodation as we normally don't use this type you have booked.
However regarding the game-viewing: Don't worry too much. The H7 road and connected dirt roads between Orpen and Satara can deliver great sightings of any predator if you are lucky. We have seen wild dog, leopard and lion withing 5 kilometers of each other on this road once.
Pretoriuskop is not that far from good game-viewing areas and of course it is the best place in Kruger for rare species such as sable.
Enjoy your stay in our beautiful country!

17-18 Dec 2012 Satara
19-22 Dec 2012 Shingwedzi
23 Dec 2012 Punda Maria

Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:34 am 

Hi Moonflower, yes Tamboti is open for bookings. Not all the tents are operational but enough for the camp to be operational.

Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 12:36 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Pretoriuskop is perfect
Very nice atmosphere
Many nice loops
Like the hilly landscape
2 dams on route to skukuza
You wont be disappointed

Orpen is also a perfect small camp
With the best waterhole (the one with the cam)
Always something to see at night

The area near both camps will deliver lots of animals

Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 1:20 pm 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
If you all want to be in the same unit, then go for Orpen and P'Kop. :thumbs_up:

Kruger is always unpredictable, so you can book a camp that has a good sightings reputation, and just be unlucky, or in an area not noted for good sightings and be very lucky!!

Orpen is a lovely quiet camp, and as Bert says the Orpen waterhole (with webcam) is there.
Viewing is prolific all around there.

Pretoriuskop is very near the roads that are very good for leopard, cheetah and wild dogs, and the elusive Sable if you're very lucky!! :thumbs_up:

Good luck with your final decision, and hope you have a wonderful time.

We will be in the area at the same time, so we may even bump into you!!

Travel safely.
:thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 1:39 pm 

Hi YDJanet, Orpen my favourite camp and if you can get cottage no 15 you are near the fence and waterhole, we have seen lion as well as many other animals at the waterhole. On the H7 we have seen cheetah with cubs, lion ellies and buffx as well as all the usual game. The camp is lovely and peaceful sure you will love it. Enjoy your stay

Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 8:50 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

YDJanet, you pretty much can't go wrong with Pretoriuskop. A wonderful rustic camp (I think its the oldest in Kruger) and sightings are awesome. I always include that camp when I go, which is about 4 times a year. I always see Lion, leopard about 3 out of 4 times, and the best area if want to see Sable. Wild dog has often been spotted around, though I have seen them more towards Skukuza. That loop around around Shabeni usually yields Lion and I seem to think there is a resident Pride there. White Rhino are in abundance, as are Buffalo and Cheetah has recently been spotted by Sharifa on the Napi Boulders road. Here I too have seen Cheetah with 3 kittens, and Voortrekker road is a marvel. Missed a lion kill by a day there once.
Wildthing has given good advice-check daily for what becomes available, and from experience, I have often found accomodation a day before I arrived. OK, that is just me, and accommodation for a single person is a different ball game to a family of 6. But worth checking if you want to go elsewhere, though for my money's worth, I'd say stick to your itinery.
And you could always check with Sanparks about the extra person at Biyamiti-as far as I know it is sometimes allowed, especially if there are children involved as 2 can sleep in one bed.
My 2 cents worth-American2 cents. :D

Unread postPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 8:11 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Award: Best/Funniest Forumite Name of the Year (2012)
YDJanet,
since you are a large family, I will recommend Bungalow - BG6 (nr 40) at Pretoriuskop. It consists of 2 bungalows with a large bathroom in the middle. It is very near the communal kitcken and also near the gate, restaurant and shop. Each of the bungalows has 3 beds and in one of them is a large fridge/freezer, and of course aircon in both.

We have been there in May again this year and if you drive around in the area, there is an abundance of animals - big 5 plus cheetah and wild dog and most of the other animals such as raptors, smaller birds, various species of antelopes, etc. You can also drive from there to any place in the South including Skukuza, Tshokwane, Orpen Dam, Mlondozi, lower Sabie and even Croc bridge in one day.

17/12/2014-01/01/2015

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 250 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 17  Next