SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 219 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 15  Next
 Post subject: Re: JHB airport to Paul Kruger Gate
Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 3:47 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Johannesburg to Paul Kruger Gate is 456 kms, to Numbi Gate it is 405 kms. The Numbi distance is taken using the R528 from White River. It does cut some distance off, but it does bypass Hazyview.
If you need provisions, it would be better to stop at Hazyview.

Post subject: Travelling from Hoedspruit Airport to Orpen Gate ...
Unread postPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 8:41 pm 

Hi all,

I'm considering flying into Hoedpsruit Airport and then driving to Orpen Gate for our next Kruger trip (1st night in the park is at Olifants). How safe is this road to travel on and are there sign posts along the way for directions?

Post subject: Re: Travelling from Hoedspruit Airport to Orpen Gate ...
Unread postPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 9:08 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Safe and good road
Travelled a part from Orpen gate to Klaserie a few days ago
Watch out for ellies when you are near the Orpen gate 8)

Post subject: Re: Travelling from Hoedspruit Airport to Orpen Gate ...
Unread postPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 10:30 pm 

I agree. It is quite safe and the road is in good condition. Animals are the biggest worry, especially near Orpen. There are not that much human activity. It is game country with lots of wild animals. So do check the speed, and keep your eyes open. In places there are fences that are down, so antelope and even elephant is a possibility. But even the best game fences do not easily stop antelope such as kudu, and warthog.

I would not like driving that area at night, because of the animals, it is very risky. But I imagine you will be doing it by day.

Want to know more about the SANParks Honorary Rangers? Visit www.sanparkshr.org

One positive deed is worth more than a thousand critical words.

Post subject: best route from Johannesburg to Kruger?
Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 7:05 pm 

Hi all,
I was wondering what is the best (most scenic) route to drive from Johannesburg to either the Orpen or Phalaborwa gates and how long it takes. Also, what sites one should see on the way? I was trying to figure out if Blyde River Canyon is on the way...

Thanks!

Post subject: Re: best route from Johannesburg to Kruger?
Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 7:40 pm 

Take the N12 and then the N4 through Witbank. Nothing to see here. Where the N4 split in two, just before Waterval Boven, take the northern route through Schoemans Kloof.
Then take the R539 to Sabie and from there go to Graskop and take the Panorama route past all the waterfalls and Blyde River Canyon.
From there you take the R36 through the Strydom Tunnel and the the R527 to Hoedspruit and from there it's another hour to Phalaborwa.
It's a long drive but you won't be dissapointed.
Good luck.

Post subject: Re: Travelling
Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:35 am 

Hi Tyrone - I see you have been given links to look at but just to add my little bit : We live on the East Rand and our preferred route to Orpen Gate is via the N12 - turn off to Belfast and go via Dullstroom and Lydenburg - Ohrigstad - through the tunnel at the Abel Erasmus Pass and then turn off towards Hoedspruit and approach Orpen Gate. It's a much nicer journey then through Hazeyview and ends up being quicker too. Enjoy your upcoming trip!! We are looking forward to ours which starts 8 Aug especially as we are going Punda Maria and Shingwedzi for the very first time. :D

Bitterpan 2 - 4 Mar (might change)
KTC 4 - 7 Mar
TR 7 Mar

Post subject: Re: Driving (best route) to/from Kruger
Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 1:59 am 

As of June this year that road has been repaired and is now again in a good condition. The construction has been completed.

If you leave Orpen at 7 am you should be more than safe. Hoedspruit to Pretoria is 5 hours. Add another hour for Johannesburg and half an hour for Orpen to Hoedspruit. This includes at least one quick pitstop.

That allows 4 hours plus as a safety margin. :thumbs_up:

There are a Spar and Pick 'n Pay Supermarket at Hazyview for shopping. Then you can enter at either Kruger Gate or if you have a bit more time, for a longer drive inside the KNP itself, Phabeni gate.

Want to know more about the SANParks Honorary Rangers? Visit www.sanparkshr.org

One positive deed is worth more than a thousand critical words.

Post subject: Re: JHB to Punda Maria - best route and where best to victua
Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 7:17 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

With all of this advice, it might be a good idea to summarise it all:

From Jo'burg head North on the N1 Toll road to Pietersburg (Polokwane) (4 Toll gates to go through)
1. Take the R71 leading to R81 via Giyane up to the junction with the R524; turn right to Punda Gate +/- 35kms. (No Toll gates)
2. Carry on the N1 to Louis Trichard (Machado) and turn left onto the R524 via Thoyandou direct to Punda Gate. (2 Tollgates)
3. N1 to Banderlierkop - 10kms North turn right onto un-numbered road to Elim; 100kms further at 4 way stop turn left on R81 for 10kms and right on R524 to Punda Gate. (1 Tollgate).

For those arriving at O R Tambo International Airport - Take the R21 to Pretoria and then onto the N1.

On all the above roads - watch out for speed traps as well as the odd road block where they check driver's and vehicle licences and sometimes whether the vehicles lights/brakes etc are working.
On the rural roads, watch out for cattle/donkeys/goats/pedestrians and the usual cowboy driver that is resident in every town.

Shopping: On Sundays especially, shop at Irene Mall just off the R21 (take the Nelmapius Drive off ramp) Food and Liquor is available here until at least 3 pm. North of Pretoria, on a Sunday, you will not find any liquor stores open and most supermarkets are closed by 2 pm.
Other good shopping places during the week: Potgeitersrus (Mokapane); Louis Trichard (Machado).
(Haven't seen the Elim Mall - it is not on this road but will get more info from others)

Roadside vendors on all three routes can provide good quality, reasonably priced fruit/veg that is in season.

Scenery - it all depends on what you define as scenic! Via Giyane is probably the most scenic - Thoyandou is bush and Elim is bush and villages............(and good for towing)

So, there you have it...........take the option best suited and enjoy the trip. (Watch out for Ndloti's chickens, you can find them in the towns up here as well :wink: )

Post subject: Re: Road to Shingwedzi with caravan
Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:30 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

For those towing trailers or caravans, try the following route:

N1 (bypass Polokwane) to Banderlierkop.
Approx: 10kms north turn right onto the Elim/Luvuhu road ( no road number )
Continue through Elim for about 90 kms. to a 4-way stop (actually it's the first one after Elim!)
There's a garage on the left.
Turn left - you are now on the R81.
Travel for about 15kms to a t-junction with the R524
Turn right - Punda gate is about 35kms further on.

The reason we use this route is because there are few potholes, less traffic (especially after Elim) and no hills to speak of - took us about 2 hours from N1 to Punda gate - and we were towing!

Posted the above a couple of months ago in another thread - going this way again shortly towing caravan (as will be camping in Shigwedzi) and will update on current conditions sometime in May!

Post subject: Re: Road to Shingwedzi with caravan
Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 4:23 pm 

Personally I prefer the N1 all the way up north and turn off to Pafuri Gate just after the Baobab Toll Plaza. There are roadworks only on the last few kms to Pafuri Gate. We have just traveled it again and I'll never travel another route to Shingwedzi.

We did, however, leave Shingwedzi yesterday morning at 06h00 and exited the Park at Crocodile Bridge at 17h30! :lol: whithout speeding, but I won't recommend that for entering. :D

Post subject: Re: Best route please?
Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 7:20 am 
Guru
Guru

Dear Pafuri,

If I had to travel from Graskop to Mopani and had all day, I would travel to Phalaborwa via Blydepoort, Abel Erasmus Pass and Mica. Would be a scenic drive, in my view.

Best wishes!

JOEP

Post subject: Re: Benoni to Olifants via Satara advice needed on route/roa
Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:52 pm 

I use viamichelin.co.uk to plan my trips in Europe and Engeland and it works just as well for South Africa. Very useful site.

I have obtained the following distances from Benoni:

Via Lydenburg, Origstad, Phalaborwa to Olifants: 560 Km

Via Lydenburg, Origstad, Klaserie, Orpen Gate to Olifants: 588 Km

Via Polokwane, Tzaneen, Phalaborwa to Olifants: 612 Km.

Via Nelspruit, Skukuza to Olifants: 573 Km

I will recommend going via Polokwane even if it is slightly longer. Better roads by far and you pay less on toll fees.

Last edited by Madalla on Tue May 01, 2012 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Fastest Route Middleburg MP to Orpen Gate
Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:26 am 

N4 from Middelburg to Belfast, take R540 via Dullstroom, to Lydenburg.
From Lydenburg R533, via Ohrigstad, and Abel Erasmus Pass travel towards Hoedspruit, but before you get there:
Turn right on the R531, which reads Orpen, Klaserie which will eventually bring you to Orpen Gate.
It takes us 5 hours via this route to get there from Pretoria (without breakfast stops).
My son has just come back from KNP, and he says that road is in the best condition. Other options are slow with 80km/h speed limits through villages and lots of frustrating slow moving vehicles, and domestic animals on the road.
You won't get better if you're after a scenic route. :D

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 219 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 15  Next