Driving (best route) to/from Kruger

Discuss and find information on the Kruger National Park
spargish
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Re: Driving (best route) to/from Kruger

Unread postby spargish » Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:56 am

Hi Fuzzy

I did yes. There are potholes before and after Lydenburg and before Orighstad. We are aware of them so take it slightly slower than usual and pass the potholes with ease. The route is a lot quieter than going through Bushbuck Ridge to get to Orpen.

If you want to take the scenic route and not be drive at or over the speed limit then I dont think the route will have any problems.
TR December Delights completed
TR Cricket Days and last nights of Summer now on

merops

Unread postby merops » Wed Apr 01, 2015 4:50 pm

I am going to Punda Maria later this month and wondered if the best route is still the R81 via Giyani and Mooketsi or to go to Makhado (Louis Trichard) and link up with the R524? I haven't done the trip for ages but always used to do the Giyani route and would appreciate the input from people who have done the trip recently. Many thanks

Esusino

Unread postby Esusino » Sun Apr 19, 2015 7:27 pm

Dear all

we will be landing at Tambo and have booked the first night at Sabie (just outside the camp)
What will be the best route?

Google advises taking N12/N4 up to Nelspruit, is that a good road?

Do you know any good car rental to book with? I will prefer a 4WD as we plan to stay off the gravel road as much as possible when inside KNP

Thanks
Andrea

Elsa

Unread postby Elsa » Tue Apr 21, 2015 9:27 am

Andrea, I can't really comment on the roads to take, not in my neck of the woods but sure you will receive info on that shortly!

Do have a read through the following topics Auto Rental advice needed and also Car choice/best vehicle/Insurance for Kruger for lots of info and advice.
Also just note you don't really need a 4WD vehicle for the regular gravel roads in Kruger, but a high clearance can be useful but not essential.
The only time you will need a 4 x 4 is if you plan on driving any of the specific 4 x 4 trails offered.
Where ever you go, go with all your Heart.

Kruger - 22nd May - 5th June 2015

s2000ap

Unread postby s2000ap » Wed Apr 22, 2015 4:51 am

Wont be taking the R40 North of the R535 turnoff if at all possible in the future. The road is busy, the centre lines are barely visible and although the condition of the surface is good, IMO there are many hazards on the road. EG: While driving to Orpen gate we overtook two taxis which were parked on the side but well onto the road and although not visible we must have crossed a double line as a cop pulled us up further down the road. We ended up paying him a fine which he was to formalise at Bushbuckridge. Heard a story later at a business up the road but hopefully the fine was paid into revenue. IMO.

rcrRodrigo

Unread postby rcrRodrigo » Thu Apr 23, 2015 4:05 pm

Hi everyone!

I'm going to Satara on June 2015 form Pretoria with my wife and kid. According to Google Maps, the best way would be:

Take the N4 to Belfast,
Then take the R540 to Lynderburg,
Then take the R36 ,
Then take the R531 close to Hoedspruit.

I would like to know :

1- if this is a good choice of way? Or maybe, take the N4 straight to Crocodile Bridge, and then, using the roads inside the Kruger to go to Satara? According to google Maps, the time is similar (difference of 0:30 min), and on the second options, the speed limit inside the Park is 50 Km/h, but the roads are good and there is no chance to be stopped by the local police and have to pay some bribe.

2- If go through Orpen, where is a good place to buy some food like bread, fridge stuff, meat, etc before go inside the park?

Thanks

Rodrigo - Pretoria

lisa

Unread postby lisa » Mon Apr 27, 2015 3:00 am

DH and I are flying into Hoedspruit Eastgate airport at 11:20AM. We need to pick up our car hire and stock up on provisions at Pick n Pay and are then driving to Olifants where we have reservations for three nights. The gate at Olifants closes at 17:30. Is it better to drive via Orpen gate or Phalaborwa? Which way is shorter? We will need to buy our Wild Card at the gate as well. Many thanks in advance.
homepage.mac.com/lisaandmarktravel
web.mac.com/lisaandmarktravel
I haven't been everywhere, but it's on my list. – Susan Sontag
I travel a lot; I hate having my life disrupted by routine. – Caskie Stinnett

saraf

Unread postby saraf » Mon Apr 27, 2015 11:28 am

I think you are going to be better off carrying on up to Phalaborwa. From Eastgate up to Hoedspruit for the Pick N Pay is the opposite way to Kruger so going in at Orpen would be doubling back on yourself a few times, which i tend to find a bit irritating. Disclaimer - i haven't actually done that route so I have no idea of the road conditions.

They will probably let you buy your Wild Card at the camp rather than the gate so that should save some time. However, if this is your first Wild Card then I would suggest getting it on line before you go. That way you will have a confirmation email, rather than just a receipt (which could be mislayed) and you will have all your details already entered so your card will be sent. There have been some difficulties with people buying at the gates and camps and not entering their details online later.

Hope you have a great trip.
The GREAT 2015 Online Auction is here. Get your bids in soon, it won't be around for ever.

spargish
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread postby spargish » Tue Apr 28, 2015 1:13 pm

Hi Lisa

The road from Hoedspruit to Orpen is 50 odd kilometres, from the gate to Olifants is 102km(I think there may be a few more as you enter the park a few kilometres before the official gate). The road from Hoedspruit to Orpen is good, I have used it many times.

From Hoedspruit to Phalaborwa is 74kms, from the gate to Olifants is 83kms. I can't comment on the road from Hoedspruit to Phalaborwa as I haven’t driven on the road from Hoedspruit to mica, and haven’t travelled on the rest of the road for a while.

All in all the distance is pretty much the same. You did mention that the gate closing time is 17:30. That would not be the most important number to worry about though. Olifants is one of the camps that has no late access. You will need to reach Orpen/Phalaborwa before the minimum travel time cut off. From Phalaborwa the minimum travel time is 2hours and from Orpen it is 2:15hours.

So you will need to enter at Phalaborwa before 3:30pm or Orpen 3:15pm. Speaking from experience you will not be allowed to enter the park after these times. If you are worried about making these times perhaps try changing the first night of your trip to Letaba,Satara,Orpen or Tamboti .

Hope this helps, have a great trip :thumbs_up:
TR December Delights completed
TR Cricket Days and last nights of Summer now on

Albert
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Albert » Tue Apr 28, 2015 2:19 pm

To add to what Saraf and Spargish has already said:
The road surface from Eastgate to Orpen is good (67 km or 50 - 55 minutes).
The road surface on the section of the R 40 to Phalaborwa (the last 40 km) is poor. It was atrocious 9 months ago, it has been extensively patched fairly recently (improving it from atrocious to poor :lol: ). With the volume of heavy trucks it carries, I suspect the road surface will deteriorate quite rapidly (again). So the 75 km from Eastgate to Phala is nominally 50 minutes (according to Uncle Google), but I would say an hour is closer to the mark.
As you land at Eastgate at 11:20, you should be in your rental car and on your way at 12:00. You should therefore (shopping included) be at either Phalaborwa or Orpen gates by 14:00 at the latest.
Searching for a Cape Eagle Owl....

RondaGreen

Unread postby RondaGreen » Thu Apr 30, 2015 11:04 am

Apologies if slightly off topic but I'm flying to Neilspruit and staying in Hazyview before heading into KNP. There are apparently two elephant sanctuaries, an owl sanctuary and a cultural village there, and I'm trying to decide on which to go to (I would probably have time to visit two of them). Any recommendations? Apart from wanting to enjoy different experiences, I'm heading to a tourism conference afterwards, and feel it would be good to see some extra samples of African tourism while I have the chance (I have previously visited Chimpanzee Eden, a raptor rehab centre in Belfast, Daktari near Hoedspruit and a private reserve in Sabie Sands, all of which I enjoyed).
For half a century I looked for an excuse to visit Africa and finally said to my son "Let's just go." Never regretted it, and about to return for my third trip to Kruger.

Elsa

Unread postby Elsa » Thu Apr 30, 2015 11:11 am

Due to the Non SANParks content, please send any recommendations to Rhonda by private message! :thumbs_up:
Where ever you go, go with all your Heart.

Kruger - 22nd May - 5th June 2015

johanclassen

Unread postby johanclassen » Fri May 01, 2015 7:29 am

Hi all, I will be leaving for Shingwedzi on Sunday morning.(3 May) Has anybody travelled from Polekwane to Phalaborwa lately, and is the route safe for use. I know there was some problems at Phalaborwa some time ago. Will appreciate any input. :)

leervis

Unread postby leervis » Sat May 02, 2015 1:35 pm

The road from Polokwane - Tzaneen - Phalaborwa is good, all repairs finished, and as of today perfectly safe.

johanclassen

Unread postby johanclassen » Sat May 02, 2015 3:02 pm

leervis » Sat May 02, 2015 1:35 pm
The road from Polokwane - Tzaneen - Phalaborwa is good, all repairs finished, and as of today perfectly safe.

Thanks a lot Leervis, appreciated. :clap:

Return to “Kruger National Park”