Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 207 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
 Post subject: Re: Driving (best route) to/from Kruger
Unread postPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 9:34 am 

Hey wyld@hrt

I'm also traveling to Kruger tomorrow, but from Pretoria to Olifants (Bahule). I've been looking at the map for the past month already and phoned a lot of the local police stations to hear the condition of the road, and just for general information. However, I own a Spur, and have spoken to my staff, which is mostly from Zimbabwe, which advised me not to take the N1 from Pretoria towards Polokwane, as the queue for cars, busses and taxi's will be hectic on the n1 north towards Zim for the holidays. Even 2am in the morning, the road will apparently be busy already, with some roadblocks. U might have to add about 2 hours for your drive if you decide to take that road.

I have decided to drive from PTA on the N4, past Witbank and Middelburg. Turnoff at Belfast towards Dullstroom. Go straight towards Lydenburg, Ohrigstad, Then the r36 and r 527 towards Hoedspruit, and the r40 towards Phalaborwa. It is a total of 510km. That will take about 5,5 to 6 hours. The road is a lot quieter that via polokwane, however there is some potholes between Dullstroom and Lydenburg.

Hope it helps, and drive safe!!

Unread postPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 9:44 am 

The road 25 km either side of Lydenburg is BADLY potholed. These are potholes of the journey-ending variety. If you plan to use this route, plan on averaging 40 km/h for that 50 km section (this is imho the safe speed for this section).

Unread postPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 10:15 am 

Thanks Johan and Albert

Interesting :hmz: I know the routes to Lydenburg passably but I have not travelled there in years. Would the R36 commencing on the n4 via schoemanskloof be in any better condition although the journey would thus then include the Machodo toll (on of the most expensive)

Having done our Christmas, and work, trips to Hazyview on the N4 over the years over this period I know the N4 is also host to increased traffic to Moz as well (overloaded buses, bakkies, you-name-it) along with the corresponding roadblocks although whether the volume is more than that to Zim I cannot say.

Hmmm, thoroughly perplexed now :|

P.s. I'm also going to be at Balule starting next sunday Johan. I hope you have a blast.

Unread postPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 11:42 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

I am leaving for Phalaborwa gate on 26/27th. I am planning on going Polokwane route.I have done this route last couple of years. I leave Fourways just before midnight and arrive at Phalaborwa for gate opening. I have not experienced queues at toll gates, possible reason being time and also day. Believe Fridays etc would be worst as people finish work and try get to Zim then, don't see a reason for a Sunday night/ Monday to have that issue as most that are going to for x-mas have gone on the Friday.

Just after Haenertsburg, the R71 takes George's Valley road, would recommend this if you have a caravan, the other route goes down Magoebaskloof, it is twisty and steep drop where George's valley is more gently. If no caravan and going during day I would go Magoebaskloof for the scenery.

Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:04 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

This past December, on our drive to Kruger.
Just before Millies on the N4 there was an accident. We must have done about 100m in an hour.
So I turned around and took the Belfast offramp. Stopped at the petrol station, and was looking at a map in the shop, when a very nice lady stopped to chat to me and suggested the following route. At first i was sceptical. But i must say, that although it was 85km longer, there was little traffic and the roads were in good condition

Carolina - Badplaas - Barbeton - Kaapmuiden

I joined the N4 just before the Kaapmuiden toll.

If you have a problem on the N4, this route is worth considering.

Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:56 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

I haven't yet tried that route, yoda, but a friend often uses it and says it really saves time while the roadworks etc. are still happening (let alone accidents).

Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:57 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger
Award: Newcomer of the Year (2013)
Just remember there are roadworks on the Carolina road as well now... So that might delay you a bit :whistle:

Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:28 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

JeanniR wrote:
Just remember there are roadworks on the Carolina road as well now... So that might delay you a bit :whistle:

No sign of road works when i used the route.

Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 8:49 am 

Hi Everybody, I am planning to enter the Park through the Phalaborwa gate beginning of March. The road to Polokwane looks OK, but I do not know the R71 from Polokwane to gate via Tzaneen. Is the Road safe and in good condition? Somebody please help, Regards, Ronniec

Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:00 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Just did the road 2 weeks ago via Polokwane, Magoebaskloof, Tzaneen, Gravellote to Phalaborwa, road was fine.

Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 4:58 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2012)
So I am starting to plan our next holiday in Kruger and want opinions as to what route to take. We will be departing from OR Tambo early on a Sunday morning in September and need to get to Phalaborwa gate in time to make it to Shimuwini before gate closing.
In the past we have driven via the N1 to Polokwane, then the R71 to Tzaneen and on into Phalaborwa.
We have also gone East from Jo'Berg on the N4 and then driven the R36 north through Lydenburg, to the R526 then R40 to Phalaborwa. Seems like the First one was a lot longer drive, but I can't recall for sure.
Need to make sure we have time to stop at the Gate Spar and stock up before driving on to our first stop.

Any ideas or suggestions will be welcomed.

Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:17 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Traveling from OR Tambo to Satara. Any advice re best route, road condition and distance/travel time would be very welcome. Thanks.

Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 7:27 pm 

Location: Germany: 15622 km from Croc Bridge (Google Maps Route); 8783 km direct flight
@ normana53
R36 via Lydenburg is definitely not an option:
see postings at
viewtopic.php?f=67&t=76866

Unread postPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 11:48 am 

hello,

i have a trip planned to the Kruger starting february 15th with a tight schedule from KMIA to the park ( arrival KMIA @16:30), so i would greatly appreciate an update on the road conditions to Numbi or if it's still a route to avoid due to road conditions.

alternatively, how long should i take into account from KMIA to phabeni gate and then pretoriuskop where my first night is booked ?

thanks for your help and information

Post subject: Re: OR Tambo to Phalaborwa
Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 3:31 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Judi, I would NOT recommend driving the R71 from Polokwane to Phalaborwa at night. I've done it -- and have also driven it in daylight a few times so it was not terra incognita -- and I would defnitely not do so again. Not only is the R71 often narrow and twisting (it passes through mountains that are breathtaking in daylight, so you can look forward to a very scenic drive), what I had not anticipated is that huge ore-carrying trucks travel that road at night.

I recall that there was a hotel (Protea chain, I think) right before the turnoff to the R71, but I'm sure that others who know the route better than I can give you recommendations of a good stopover. And I'm sure that you will enjoy the drive to Phalaborwa the next morning, it really is a very scenic -- and often spectacular -- drive.

It's also a good idea to check on whether there are any roadworks along the way, and again, I'm sure that someone who knows the route and current conditions can advise.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 207 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next