View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 219 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
 Post subject: Re: Driving (best route) to/from Kruger
Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:41 am 

Thanks Spargish.

Will use Schoemanskloof to KNP next Friday! :dance:

Post subject: Johannesburg - Schoemanskloof - Nelspruit
Unread postPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 12:54 pm 

Does anybody have an idea if there are still road works on the go on the Schoemanskloof road? We like to use this as an alternative to Nelspruit.

Less than two weeks to go ... :dance:

Thanks!

:)

Unread postPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 1:09 pm 

I haven't posted here in a long time (I'm a lurker) but I thought I would ask for some advice. After visiting Namibia for the last 3 years we are now going back to Kruger in October. We are thinking of driving from Jo'burg via Dullstrom, Lydenburg, Sabie to Hazyview where we will stay for 1 night before entering at the Kruger gate. (We usually take the road Nelspruit - Melalane).
Does anyone have experience with this route? I know we have to go over the Long Tom Pass but we thought it might be quite nice as we haven't done it for years.

Post subject: Re: Johannesburg - Schoemanskloof - Nelspruit
Unread postPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 3:00 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Did it a few months ago - no road works.

Maybe someone else has done it more recently.

Mopani 18-20 Oct 2014
Shingwedzi 20-22 Oct 2014
Punda Maria 22-25 Oct 2014

KTP May 2015

Unread postPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 3:04 pm 

Do have a read Here

Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:51 am 

Hi Watershed.

I can only comment on the N4, through Dullstroom to Lydenburg.

N4 - Beautiful road. Just be prepared to pay toll fees.
Belfast to Dullstroom - Not too bad, just a few bumps and jumps...
Dullstroom to Lydenburg :big_eyes: Was a nice road, but the potholes have become horrible! Huge craters in some places, and they almost jump out at the most unexpected places! If you take this road, be prepared to take it very easy!

In my opinion, I'd rather do the Nelspruit trip again...

Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 11:35 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi Tieroog

Another great tip for anyone using the N4 to get Kruger, sign up to twitter an follow @TracN4 there updates on the conditions of the N4 are superb.

Bro & Sis Road Trip V2 in September

Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 12:06 pm 

Did the route this weekend and it was an absolute pleasure. The only roadworks we encountered was the stop and go at Malelane. We were lucky and wer not stopped but the quest were at least 3 km long

Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 12:51 pm 

Thanks, Guzz. I think I will try to pursuade my husband to drive to Nelspruit and then take the R40. We won't be coming until October but I am sure the potholes will still be there,

Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 4:14 pm 

White Buffalo wrote:
Did the route this weekend and it was an absolute pleasure. The only roadworks we encountered was the stop and go at Malelane. We were lucky and wer not stopped but the quest were at least 3 km long

would you recommend avoiding this then? i am staying at Pretorioskop and then have to get back to OR Tambo on 13th to get my flight home. a colleague said it would be good to drive through the park to the Malelane Gate and exit there before heading back to Jo'burg - would you say this is a bad/good idea?

I was going to drive to the Phabeni gate from Centurion to get there although the Numbi gate would be easier.

setting off from Centurion at 10am on saturday as i have to wait for my friend to get to Centurion from the airport. I dont want to miss the gate closures and ideally get there before dark.

Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:41 pm 

spargish wrote:
Hi Tieroog

Another great tip for anyone using the N4 to get Kruger, sign up to twitter an follow @TracN4 there updates on the conditions of the N4 are superb.

Thanks Spargish. I am doing that right now. 8 sleeps :dance:

:)

Unread postPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 6:36 am 

We are planning to travel different routes from our usual when we visit Kruger in September but are unsure about road conditions.
Planning to leave the N4 and travel R539 and R37 up to Sabie then take R536 to Hazyview and enter through Phabeni Gate. Have read some adverse comments about R536 so would appreciate an update.

On our way home we would like to leave through Orpen Gate then take the R531 and R532 down through Graskop and back through Sabie. Any problems with this route?

Unread postPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 12:21 pm 

Great post! We´ll try Schoemanskloof instead of N4.

On our return to OR Tambo we have our last night at Crocodile bridge, because of the roadwork, would it be advisable to stay at Pretoriuskop ( available) last night and exit via Phabeni gate?
We should arrive to the airport at 16:00.

Do you recommend somewhere around Phalaborwa to buy supplies?

Majura, we haven´t been to Kruger so I can´t help with road conditions, but R536 is 43km as I see in google maps, luckily not a long drive if bad conditions. We have the same problem with 46km in R40 from Mica to Phalaborwa, it´s in bad shape but have no alternatives coming from Graskop to Phalaborwa.

Counting the days to our first Krugerland visit. :dance:

Unread postPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 11:51 pm 

From Johannesburg, we have a hotel reserved in Lydenburg. From what I'm reading, it's best to turn at Belfast and head to Dullstrom and go that route to Lydenburg. Is that correct? Will this take about four hours or will it take longer?

From Lydenburg, we'd like to spend the day doing the Panorama Route and then head into Kruger to our reservation at Pretoriouskop. Google maps tells us to go north on the R36 to the R532 and loop over to the Three Rondavels and head south down the Panorama Route. I'm reading that the more scenic route is to head to east on the R37 through Sabie and up to Graskop and head north on the Panorama Route. Which is preferred for a tourist?

Once we're done with the Panorama Route, we head to Hazyview to do some shopping before entering the park.

Here is the next dilemma. The shortest and quickest route is to go Numbi gate which quite a few people have taken without major problems. Given that we'll probably be short on time, do we just go Numbi gate instead of heading up to Phabeni? How long do we need to allocate to get from Hazyview to Pretoriouskop given that we have to check in at the gate?

If we're running late, I know they will fine us and we'll only be allowed through Numbi gate. What are the ramifications if we're late at Numbi? What are the ramifications if we go either gate and are late at the Pretoriouskop gate?

Unread postPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 4:34 am 

Hiker2014 wrote:

Majura, we haven´t been to Kruger so I can´t help with road conditions, but R536 is 43km as I see in google maps, luckily not a long drive if bad conditions. We have the same problem with 46km in R40 from Mica to Phalaborwa, it´s in bad shape but have no alternatives coming from Graskop to Phalaborwa.

Thanks Hiker2014 but even careful driving over 43km of road in poor condition is not an option when there are other routes available. We wouldn't take a rental car anywhere that we wouldn't take our own car so if the R536 is badly potholed between Sabie and Hazyview then we will just have to change our plans and travel an alternate route.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 219 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next