Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 174 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
 Post subject: Re: Driving (best route) to/from Kruger
Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 10:20 am 

Ngiri. The Long Tom Pass is a thriller!!!!! It can take half a day just to get from Lydenburg to Paul Kruger or Phabeni gates.

Regards

Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 3:35 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

We've never found it that bad Hansie11. We regularly take that route from Hazyview back to JNB airport and did so in December. I just love the views between Sabie and Lydenburg even if we do get some slow traffic in parts. I think we only took 2 hours to get from Hazyview to Lydenburg and then we have a meal break in Dullstrom. There were a few potholes between Lydenburg and Belfast but at least you get warnings in SA. Some of the UK roads are no better and we get no warnings at all!

Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 5:51 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

carolv wrote:
We've never found it that bad Hansie11. We regularly take that route from Hazyview back to JNB airport and did so in December. I just love the views between Sabie and Lydenburg even if we do get some slow traffic in parts. I think we only took 2 hours to get from Hazyview to Lydenburg and then we have a meal break in Dullstrom. There were a few potholes between Lydenburg and Belfast but at least you get warnings in SA. Some of the UK roads are no better and we get no warnings at all!

Carolv, how was the section between Hazyview and Sabie? When we were there in May they were busy resurfacing the road in patches, and it was quite hair-raising to drive....
I am travelling to Kruger via Dullstrooon in April, and I'm still not sure whether to enter via Phabeni (Long Tom/Sabie/Hazyview) or Orpen (Ohrigstad etc).

Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 6:20 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi Albert,

There was no problem at all between Hazyview and Sabie, the road was good and no roadworks. We actually drove this section 2 or 3 times whilst we were out in SA

Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 8:44 pm 

any issues with going from JNB to Crocodile bridge via n12 and n4 with a stop in Komatipoort for groceries?

I land at 10:30am and need to be in the park before the gates close, is this doable?

thank you

Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 9:04 pm 

You also need to pick up a car I assume 300rwhp? And what month are you going? Gate closes different times depending on the season.

It is doable. But do not linger along the way.

You can also stop at the Highveld Mall. Easy access off and back onto the N4 and good selection of shops.

Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 12:24 am 

thanks Dinkybird for the reply.

I will need to pick up the car as well but I am hoping the inlaws that land an hour earlier can get the rental process started for me. Thanks for the tip on the mall. I am going to Crocodile Gate Feb 8.

Any tips on where to grab a sim card with data and how much it should cost? I had heard there were sim shops in the airport.

Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 7:54 am 

Carolv, I had a bad experience with the Long Tom Pass 2 years ago. I'm very glad it's better now, because it is beautiful there.
300rwhp, just check on the roadworks between Nelspruit and Malelane. You can easily get a sim card at any supermarket in SA.

Regards

Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 8:27 am 

carolv wrote:

Thank you carolv. This is just what I needed to hear (er, see?) . We'll definitely be taking this route then.

Greg

3-8 Mar - Skukuza

Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 6:22 pm 

for the sim card in a supermarket will it include data? or rather how much do you expect two weeks worth of data and a few minutes to cost?

Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 8:11 am 

No, a sim card bought at a supermarket won't include data. I suggest you go to a cellphone service provider (Vodacom, MTN) at the airport to sort that out.

Regards

Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 2:59 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

It is best to get your sim card at ORT airport. The stores there are equipped and capable of issuing cards to foreigners. They will look at your ticket, and probably passport, and issue the card to cover the time you are in South Africa. We locals have to provide proof of residential address etc. to get cell phone cards, but it is simplified for temporary visitors to get cards. Other stores might not be as capable as the ones at the airport!

Marakele (Motswere Guest Cottage) 29 Mar -1 Apr 2015

KTP May 2015

Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 10:11 pm 

appreciate the advice re the sim card.

Unread postPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 1:07 am 

300rwhp
We have just ordered sim cards for our phones via Vodacom. we will pick up in Cape Town on arrival and use through our trip. We ordered on line the sim cards are already registered to us and they have issued the phone numbers via e-mail to us to give to family before we leave. you simply print out confirmation receipt and present at Vodacom shop at he the airport you nominate to collect with your passport and you are ready to go.
http://b4i.travel/index.php/en/
I hope this helps.
Lower Sabie 11th & 12th Feb

Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 9:08 pm 

Hi all,
I will be driving from pretoria to either Berg-en-dal or crocodile bridge on 27th Feb, wondering if anyone can give me an estimate of how long It will take (without stops!). I havent decided yet which accomodation to book hence why Im asking about both locations just in case!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 174 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next