Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 222 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
 Post subject: Re: JoBerg airport to Punda? Help please
Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 3:42 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

The Polokwane/Giyani/Punda road is fine except for a short stretch of about 20 - 30 kms between Giyani and Malumalele where there are potholes but these are in the process of being fixed. We travelled back that way (towing a large caravan) two weeks ago and found this part of the road acceptable.
"Service delivery protests" can flare up anywhere at anytime so a quick phone call to Punda gate before leaving the airport is a very good idea.

Post subject: Re: Driving (best route) to/from Kruger
Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 8:33 am 

Thanks Hippotragus and PNF.
If we were to come across a "services protest baracade" what is the best action?

Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 1:48 pm 

Hi there, can anyone please tell me what the road is like from Lydenburg on the R37/ R536 to Hazyview (Kruger Gate) ? I am staying overnight in Lydenburg on my way to LSabie, but I will be pulling a caravan (scared of heights) :shock: so I need to know if it is wise - has anyone travelled that road lately?

Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 3:41 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Well the road from Lydenburg to Sabie (R37) is over Long Tom Pass, so not so sure about your aversion to heights! The road surface was fine when I last drove it (November 2013), BUT we did encounter heavy fog/mist (even in November!).
The R 536 was quite bad when I drove it in May; however, I need to qualify this statement. They were busy fixing potholes, and prior to doing anything else, large rectangles of tar were removed all over the road surface (at least for the first 10 km coming from Hazyview towards Sabie, that's when I turned around).
Ok, so having re-read what I wrote, I appear to have told you that the road is not what you were hoping for.... :redface: maybe someone else has more up-to-date info (but the Long Tom Pass is still there :twisted: )

Unread postPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:45 am 

Hi All!

So, after viewing the forum for a long time I have decided to register. :D

We will also be travelling in the Blyde River Swadini area en route to Satara and would like to know the road conditions specifically from Graskop to Forever Blyde River and on to Swadini.

Any comments would be appreciated.

Regards

Unread postPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 2:18 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

I can only comment on the state of the road as it was in November of 2013; then the Graskop-Forever Resort Blyde Canyon section was in good condition, as was the Blyde Canyon - Swadini section.
Just beware of speed traps in the Maruleng area!

Post subject: Re: Driving from JHB International to Kruger - Directions
Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 3:55 pm 

Can anybody help me with the directions from Polokwane to the R81, is there any sign to indicate where to go on the R81 when you are on the N1 - Polokwane Road. We want to go via R81 to Phalaborwa Gate.

Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 4:20 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi Rolypoly.

It is the R71 you want to take from Polokwane to Phalaborwa - not the R81. The R81 is off the R71 but goes up to Giyani and then onto another road that takes you to Punda Maria.

A short distance before Polokwane you will see signs to the left marked R71 Tzaneen. Take that and you go on a bridge over the N1, round a by-pass road and eventually turn right in the direction of Tzaneen. Watch out for speed traps when you go past the townships.

At Haenertsburg , make sure you stay on the R71 (straight) and do not take the R528 to the right. Go through Tzaneen still on R71 and at Gravelotte turn left R71 signed Phalaborwa.

Have a great trip!

Mopani 18-20 Oct 2014
Shingwedzi 20-22 Oct 2014
Punda Maria 22-25 Oct 2014

KTP May 2015

Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 1:15 pm 

Hi Hippotragus

Thank you for your reply, but we want to go via the R81 because we are towing a caravan, at Mooketsi you take the R36 to Modjadji kloof/Duiwelskloof, then to Tzaneen, Letsitele, Gravelotte and then Phalaborwa.
This route will be easier with the caravan. What I can understand is that you take the R71 and then off the R71 you will get the R81, is this correct.

Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 5:32 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi Rolypoly. I understand your dilemma - I would not be happy towing a caravan down the R71 hills!!

Looking at my map it seems that you take the R71 off the N1, go round the by-pass and at the point where the R71 goes right to Tzaneen you seem to go straight ahead for the R81. I think it might be signed to Giyani. I have done it (R81 from Giyani) in the opposite direction and seem to remember joining the R71 for a bit.

I'm sure if you keep your eyes open you will see signs.

Mopani 18-20 Oct 2014
Shingwedzi 20-22 Oct 2014
Punda Maria 22-25 Oct 2014

KTP May 2015

Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:10 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

For those traveling to Kruger via the R38 & N17 (Ermelo --> Chrissiesmeer/Breyton...) There is currently roadworks just after exiting Ermelo for 11 km. Average waiting time at the Stop and Go during non peak hours is between 15 & 20 minutes, peak hours waiting time between 20 & 45 minutes. :whistle:

Want to learn something new? Take part in our Quizzes

Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:34 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Hippotragus wrote:
Hi Rolypoly. I understand your dilemma - I would not be happy towing a caravan down the R71 hills!!

Looking at my map it seems that you take the R71 off the N1, go round the by-pass and at the point where the R71 goes right to Tzaneen you seem to go straight ahead for the R81. I think it might be signed to Giyani. I have done it (R81 from Giyani) in the opposite direction and seem to remember joining the R71 for a bit.

I'm sure if you keep your eyes open you will see signs.

:thumbs_up: As far as I recall the R81 splits off the R71 at that turnoff to Tzaneen, you take offramp to go to Tzaneen and stay on road if going to Giyani.

Rolypoly, I have seen caravans taking the R71 and then at Haenertsburg taking the R528 Georges valley road, the gradient is not as steep as Magoebaskloof pass. Trucks etc over I think it is 3Tons have to use this route and not Magoebaskloof.

Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 4:11 pm 

Thank you RobertT, we actually want to avoid the R528, Georges Valley. Two years ago we came from Tzaneen via Georges Valley and came to a abrupt stop - very big pothole and car behind smack bang into our caravan. Luckily nobody got hurt but caravan got a couple of wrinkles. We are going now in August to KNP and a friend advised us to take the R81, could not remember if it was signed posted if you come off the N1. We will keep our eyes open.

Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 4:25 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

:thumbs_up:

Not sure if it is signposted, but about 2 km after the Shell ultra city before Polokwane, there is the R71 turnoff to Tzaneen. That bypasses Polokwane town. Looking at google maps it looks like you need to take same offramp as for Tzaneen, but go straight instead of turning right to Tzaneen. Then at Mall of the north turn right.

Try this link and see what I mean.

https://www.google.co.za/maps/place/Pol ... d4b18e4df7

Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 9:09 am 

RobertT is absolutely correct.

We drive that route regularly as we have family in Duiwelskloof (Modjadjiskloof).

Take the bypass around Polokwane. Shortly after passing the airport on your right you'll take the offramp left. At the traffic lights, don't turn right towards Moria, go straight on and at the next lights you'll turn right. Carry on straight on this road all the way to Tzaneen. The road is in pretty good shape. No major potholes or any danger to caravans etc. Might just have to dodge the odd taxi, unroadworthy bakkie, or cow. :shock:

*G

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 222 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next