Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 200 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14
 Post subject: Re: Driving (best route) to/from Kruger
Unread postPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 9:19 am 

majura wrote:
Hiker2014 wrote:

Majura, we haven´t been to Kruger so I can´t help with road conditions, but R536 is 43km as I see in google maps, luckily not a long drive if bad conditions. We have the same problem with 46km in R40 from Mica to Phalaborwa, it´s in bad shape but have no alternatives coming from Graskop to Phalaborwa.

Thanks Hiker2014 but even careful driving over 43km of road in poor condition is not an option when there are other routes available. We wouldn't take a rental car anywhere that we wouldn't take our own car so if the R536 is badly potholed between Sabie and Hazyview then we will just have to change our plans and travel an alternate route.

The problem is that we don´t think we have another route than R40 from panorama route to Phalaborwa, we are very careful when driving a rental car ( besides that you have to pay an excess if you damage the vehicle and usually tyres and undercarriage are not covered), I suppose that driving at 40km/h would not be a problem to avoid potholes and we´ll have plenty of time to get to the park, so no hurries.

Any advice about where to spend the last night before returning to OR Tambo? We have a reservation at Crocodile Bridge but the roadworks are concerning us...would be better to exit via Kruger or Phabeni gate?

My wife has ready a yellow ribbon :dance:

Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:02 am 

I wonder if someone can assist. We are leaving very early Friday orning from Fourways to drive through to Phabeni gate. We have been advised to turn off the N4 onto Schoemans Kloof Road through to Nelspruit - haven't used this road before but apparently its very good.

My question is really around the misty conditions before getting to Witbank. Last year we left Fourways at around 04:30 and the mist was really terrible (the worst we've ever had). We were all a little shaky by the time we got to Witbank. Now I know that at times this mist can carry on till 10 or so in the morning (Sometimes even later). Does anyone know what time it actually starts? We thought of leaving earlier; maybe around 02:30 or 03:00 and hopefully getting past that area before it starts. Will that work? Has anyone tried it? :think: :? :pray: :pray:

Post subject: Driving from Hoedspruit to Punda Maria Gate HELP
Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 1:56 pm 

Good day one and all

We will be going to Kruger this December... We are planning to buy our last supplies in Hoedspruit (we are staying at Moholoholo Mountain View and wants to get some breakfast in Hoedspruit) and then from there driving to Punda Maria Gate.

This is a first time for us! Advise needed for the best route to Punda Maria via Hoedspruit!

Super excited!! :dance:

Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 11:15 am 

Hi there.

We will be going to the North for the first time. As you can imagine, we are very excited, but do have a few final questions.

We will be overnighting in Polokwane, then heading for our first night in the park at Punda Maria.

How far is it from Polokwane to Punda gate, and how long does it take?

Which is the best route to take at the moment?

Is driving up to Pafuri gate and then driving down to Punda Maria an option?

Thanks and best wishes.

Talamati 7 & 8 Sept
Tamboti 9 Sept
Satara 10 & 11 Sept
Pretoriuskop 12 Sept

Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 3:49 pm 

Please can someone advise the best route from Jhb to Orpen. From reading reports it appears most roads are in terrible conditions. We will be going to Maroela 20/9 (cant wait) :D
Thanks

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 200 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14