Driving (best route) to/from Kruger

Discuss and find information on the Kruger National Park
Hippotragus
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Re: Driving (best route) to/from Kruger

Unread postby Hippotragus » Tue Feb 03, 2015 9:19 pm

Hi LauraVC.

I would say about 4 1/2 hours for Berg'nDal - drive to Malelane Gate and then a short drive to Berg'nDal.

5 hours for Crocodile Bridge - you drive to Komatipoort and the camp is right at the Crocodile Bridge gate.

The N4 is a very good, fast road. When you get the option of Schoemanskloof or the old road, take the Schoemanskloof option (to the left). There are several toll gates, but there is not normally too much of a queue.
Paul Kruger Gate (day visitor) 24-28 August 2015
Skukuza 14-18 October 2015
Satara 18-21 October 2015

bert
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Unread postby bert » Sat Feb 07, 2015 2:19 pm

300rwhp, i always get my SIM card at the Vodacome shop at OT. shop near the ATMS. The floor just above arrivals. Never had to produce a passport.
And if not to bussy very fast service

s2000ap

Unread postby s2000ap » Sat Feb 21, 2015 5:01 am

any help on the condition of the following roads much appreciated.
R535, R536, R532, R540, R36, R37 and R40 Thanks.
Has there been much rain in the area?

AnnaVR

Unread postby AnnaVR » Sun Feb 22, 2015 4:04 pm

Hi all,

This July we're staying at Ekhutuleni in Hoedspruit, and would like to undertake day visits to the Park via Phalaborwa gate.

Can recent travelers to the Park comment on comparative condition of the following two routes leading to Ekuthuleni:

Route 1: https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=zPvMCD_EZSh8.k19rs85h5m6s
Route 2: https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=zPvMCD_EZSh8.kjdHDLyoz3XM

Of particular interest are the tar roads once you've turned off the highway - haven't traveled Route 1 recently but I know it used to have some notorious patches. Any recent improvements?

BrawlerO

Unread postby BrawlerO » Sat Feb 28, 2015 10:03 am

Returning from Punda Maria to Jo'burg

Just wondering if anyone can give some details on the best route for the above and approx travel time? I have checked out google maps but would like to double check with those who might have done it recently.
I have done the 'getting to' Kruger bit before but have never been Up North and want to make sure I allow plenty of room for error on the return so we don't miss our flight back to the UK.

Also, should there be any repeat of the PM gate closure due to demos, what would be a good alternative?

Thanks in advance...
International Visitor from the UK

leervis
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby leervis » Sat Feb 28, 2015 1:32 pm

From Punda I usually go via Giyani to Polokwane and then straight down the N1. The turn off to Giyani is a few k's out from the Punda gate on the left. Good roads but there are quite a few toll gates. Won't delay you but will cost.
26 - 29 August Balule
30 August - 1 September Sirheni
2 - 5 September Tsendze

9 - 12 November Punda Camping
13 November Letaba Safari Tent
14 - 17 Balule Camping

chirinda
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby chirinda » Sun Mar 01, 2015 8:32 pm

BrawlerO, if there are problems at Malamulele and you can't use the R81 you would need to go to Louis Trichardt/Makhado on the R524 and then down the N1. I have not travelled that road in years and have no idea how it is now, but it used to be the only way to Punda at one time. That journey would probably take you a good 6 hours, maybe more, depending on the condition of the R524. You need to be careful on rural roads, there are often villages with livestock/dogs/pedestrians on or alongside the unfenced roads.

RondaGreen

Unread postby RondaGreen » Fri Mar 06, 2015 11:33 am

I've twice driven from Jo'burg to Kruger and am returning (from Australia) in June with nowhere near as much time available as I would like (as usual!). Just wondering if it's worth missing out on the 5-hour drive by flying to Neilspruit or Hoedspruit if its not too expensive. I'm thinking of heading first to Satara, so was thinking perhaps Hoedspruit would be best, but after my stay I'll be heading through Neilspruit. Any advice? Do the flights have a good safety record? Also thinking of visiting the little animal orphanage Daktari near Hoedspruit for a day or two before heading into the Park, but is it safe for a lone female to be driving in that area?
For half a century I looked for an excuse to visit Africa and finally said to my son "Let's just go." Never regretted it, and about to return for my third trip to Kruger.

Elsa

Unread postby Elsa » Fri Mar 06, 2015 11:57 am

I am sure the flights are more expensive than driving but I think the convenience and time saved is a factor to be considered.
Here are some links that will hopefully help with the decision although I'm sure others will also help.
Hoedspruit Airport
Travelling to/from KMIA
and not sure if you are aware there are now regular flights right into Skukuza Airport

As long as you drive around during the daylight hours and stay on all the regular roads you should be safe.
Where ever you go, go with all your Heart.

Please add your vote in the Website Community Choice Award

Pjw
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Pjw » Fri Mar 06, 2015 12:46 pm

Retunn flights from OR tambo international to nelspruit cost around R2500.0.
The Toll fees on the N4 are R125.00 each way plus the cost of the e-tolls around Johannesburg of approximately r15 each way. The fuel costs will depend on what vehicle you hire. We have worked out in the past, that driving our gas guzzler (10l/100km) it is almost not worth driving if you are a single traveller (especially in your situation where i imagine you would have to hire a car?) For more than 1 person, time permitting it is more economcal to drive
"In the end we conserve only that which we love, we love only that which we understand, we understand only that which we are taught"
(Baba Dioum, Senegalese Ecologist)

Elsa

Unread postby Elsa » Sat Mar 07, 2015 11:18 am

They consists of 49 gantries on Gauteng highways. The gantries charge people by electronically identifying the number plates of vehicles that drive under them. Each time a vehicle passes, a toll is charged. The cost is determined by the kilometre distance which the gantry represents.
So basically a toll road that one doesn't stop at but gets charged electronically and an a/c is sent out.
Where ever you go, go with all your Heart.

Please add your vote in the Website Community Choice Award

carolv
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread postby carolv » Sat Mar 07, 2015 12:03 pm

Well explained Elsa. For anyone driving a rental car, you are billed afterwards. On its return the rental company will raise the toll fee on the credit card which has been used for the car rental. From personal experience the charge shows on the next credit card bill after we have returned home. The only niggle is that it is all put together with any other items which are billed afterwards eg additional driver. If you need anything more exact Brawler, pm me and I will look up on my Jan bill to see the exact amount charged which I know on that occasion was an additional driver fee plus the e-toll fees from the Airport until out of Gauteng and back.

s2000ap

Unread postby s2000ap » Sat Mar 07, 2015 11:06 pm

Brawler, the R12 isn't much in your currency and unless you are driving around in JHB, you will only be charged one or two times as you leave JHB and the same when you return. The "stop" ones along the N4 cost more of course but you pay cash as you pass through and also not to expensive for you. Did it last Year and it's pretty painless, the hire company gave me a receiver(not sure if all do) and all you hear is a ping and that's it.
They charged no "commission" for collecting.

chas

Unread postby chas » Wed Mar 11, 2015 4:05 pm

Horrace wrote:Hi all, have some good friends traveling from White River to Orpen next week. Can any mites please advise on the road conditions - the last time I drove it there were road works, it was a while ago and possibly they are completed? Thanks for your input

Horrace

I would also like to know as i will be travelling that route next week!!
I might go in at Kruger Gate but i still would like to know how the roads are!

Anyone out there that can help?

BrawlerO

Unread postby BrawlerO » Thu Mar 12, 2015 8:55 am

Thanks Guys for the info re tolls, I couldnt really work out how that would work for a hire car and although the amounts seem fairly reasonable was worried about much bigger fines for non-payment.
Seems things have moved on since the last time I was there. (But the next time is only in a few days! Yay)
International Visitor from the UK

Return to “Kruger National Park”