SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 209 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 14  Next
 Post subject: Re: Driving (best route) to/from Kruger
Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 7:01 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Some advice please?
We're leaving from Potchefstroom (via Johannesburg/Pretoria normally) for Olifants in about six weeks time.

Should we take the N1 to Polokwane/Pietersburg and from there the R71 via Tzaneen to enter at Phalaborwa? I've heard about roadworks and stop and go on the R71, but would prefer this highway route if this was not an issue. This is 638km.

Or should we rather take the N12 to Witbank, the N4 to Belfast and from there go Lydenburg, Hoedspruit and then Phalaborwa? The concern here is potholes I've heard about and the single lane most of the way. This is 622km.

The third option is driving to on to Nelspruit, and then going Hazyview (although I dislike the part between Nelspruit and White River a lot) and then going through Klaserie, Hoedspruit and then Phalaborwa. This is probably longer than the other two routes? Not sure about the kms though.

Any help would be appreciated!

Post subject: Re: Driving (best route) to/from Kruger
Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:33 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Mel, go to Nelspruit, Hazyview, Klaserie, Orpen Gate, :thumbs_up: Lovely road now, even through Bushbuckridge. :clap:

Post subject: Re: Kruger (Croc Bridge) to Golden Gate Highlands NP
Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:43 pm 

So just a brief update....received many conflicting reports on road conditions.
Eventually we just decided to do the trip we originally planned.
Left Lower Sabie at 6 a.m. and eventually departed from Komatipoort at around 08:00.
Travelled N4 to the R38 turn off, then to Barberton.
Road was OK.
Then from Barberton to Badplaas and Carolina. 5 Stop/go sections, with the one just before Carolina being quite bad, but at least that part of the route will be good once all the roadworks are done.
The section between Carolina and Ermelo was atrociously bad.
Easily the worst part of the entire trip.
Ermelo to Standerton was good to very good.
Standerton-Vrede was very good.
The section between Vrede and the R103 to Warden (15 km) is completely under reconstruction, which resulted in 15 km of detours....Once we reached the R 103 the road was fair to good to the junction with the N3.
Had to deal with the long weekend traffic on the N3, but that was OK.
Eventually reached Glen Reenen at about 5 pm.
Last part of the journey was delayed by severe thunderstorms!

Post subject: Re: Latest suggestions on route to Punda Maria
Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:48 pm 

Hi Deamole - we travelled up to Punda Maria from Durban at the beginning of September. We over-nighted at Bela-Bela on the way up and the headed straight up to Louis Trichardt via Polokwane. We then took the 524 via Thohoyandou, thence to Punda. We had absolutely no problems with this route, and confidently recommend it. The road itself was in very fair condition - the normal potholes here and there but nothing major - so the only thing to be aware of is that a lot of people live up there. I cannot comment on the Giyani route - so over to you.

Have a good one!

Post subject: Re: Latest suggestions on route to Punda Maria
Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:53 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Agreed with dog, the road is cool via Thohoyandou :thumbs_up:

Post subject: Quickest road to Shingwedzi?
Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 1:36 pm 

Hallo There!!

What is the quickest and best road to Shingwedzi from Bela-Bela?

Post subject: Re: Quickest road to Shingwedzi?
Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 1:43 pm 
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

If you have the time: Polokwane - Tzaneen - Phalaborwa gate. And then up through Kruger.

A way less attractive way is Polokwane - Louis trichard - Punda gate, and down to Shingwedzi.

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

Post subject: Re: Fastest Route Middleburg MP to Orpen Gate
Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:10 am 

Lonehill_Birders wrote:
N4 from Middelburg to Belfast, take R540 via Dullstroom, to Lydenburg.
From Lydenburg R533, via Ohrigstad, and Abel Erasmus Pass travel towards Hoedspruit, but before you get there:
Turn right on the R531, which reads Orpen, Klaserie which will eventually bring you to Orpen Gate.
It takes us 5 hours via this route to get there from Pretoria (without breakfast stops).
My son has just come back from KNP, and he says that road is in the best condition. Other options are slow with 80km/h speed limits through villages and lots of frustrating slow moving vehicles, and domestic animals on the road.
You won't get better if you're after a scenic route. :D

Did this route two weeks ago; it is fine! Just one word of caution: there are some SERIOUS speed bumps on the way into and leaving Dullstroom! Overall; the speed limits on this route are there for a reason! There are a few potholes and some bits of uneven road surface; but these are quite easy to see. After the recent very heavy rains, there is one (small) section before you make the descent towards the Abel Erasmus pass where the left lane has been damaged by water; but once again, this is clearly marked by warning signs.

Post subject: Re: Travel from Kruger to Hluhluwe in July
Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 3:06 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

vinkie wrote:
Hi all,

We are busy planning our next trip to South Africa and Kruger next year July and want to combine this with an in-between visit to St. Lucia and Hluhluwe.

I have a few questions and the outcome will help us decide if we will continue with this travelplan or make a route change.

- What is the best route from Kruger(Lower Sabie) to Hluhluwe.

- Is it advisable to do this as an in between visit(Kruger -> 4 days St. Lucia/Hluhluwe -> Kruger).

- How is the weather in this area in July?

Thank you for your advice.

Hi Vinkie

The best route should be via Swaziland. I spoke to people from Kwazulu Natal at Croc Bridge gate who did just that. I would however go to Hluhluwe first and then to Kruger. It will be quite a drive from Croc Bridge to Hluhluwe / St Lucia and back. (I couldn't get a distance for the Swaziland route, but if you travel around Swaziland it will be about 690 km from Lower Sabie to St Lucia one way)

You could either fly to Durban and drive to Hluhluwe (about 200 km) or fly to Joburg and take the N17 down to St Lucia(about 600km)

Hope this helps a bit

Enjoy the planning

Post subject: Re: Driving from JHB International to Kruger - Directions
Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:10 pm 

Kicker Cat, can you please help? I will be travelling from Midrand to Pretoria to take the N4, plan to take the Schoemanskloof route to Crocodile bridge. I have a booking at Lower Sabie on Friday, 11 January.

I have meetings in Midrand till 11:00 and hope to be out of the office by 11:30. How long is the drive from Pretoria to Crocodile bridge gate?

Post subject: Re: Driving from JHB International to Kruger - Directions
Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:18 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi ElsabedB. I live in Kyalami and can get to Crocodile Bridge gate in about 5 -5.5 hours. The N4 is a super road, now all the roadworks are finished. Schoemanskloof is a good option - fewer slow trucks and more passing places.

Post subject: State of roads to Kruger
Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:12 am 

Hi

Can anyone advise me what the current state of the roads are from Belfast to the Strydom tunnel area so that I make a decision as to whether I should enter the Kruger from one of the southern gates or at Orpen gate. I am going to camp at Satara.

Post subject: Re: State of roads to Kruger
Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:38 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Garrow, I did that road a week ago, and it is fairly bad, lotsa potholes, and deep ones at that. But it could be negotiated during the day, at night it might be a bit dicey. :thumbs_up:

Post subject: Best route to Punda Maria
Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:16 am 

Hi - we are heading for Punda mid April and I was looking for advice as to the best route from Johannesburg.
N1 all the way to the turnoff or via Tzaneen and Giyani?
Thanks

Post subject: Re: Best route to Punda Maria
Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:46 am 

The best route at this stage would be to take the N1 to Louis Trichardt and then travel past Thoyandou (spelling) to Punda gate. The road that goes past Giyani is under construction with quite a few stop/go waiting periods.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 209 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 14  Next