SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 39 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Hippo killed by army truck
Unread postPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 6:43 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

http://www.news24.com/Green/News/SANDF- ... o-20140223

Very sad that those who are in the Park to protect our border are now suspects in killing our wildlife

03.10.14 - 10.10.14 Ngwenya Lodge
The addiction is fed once again

Post subject: Re: Hippo killed by army truck
Unread postPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 6:47 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
How terrible to see an innocent animal killed so unnecessary by a reckless driver, makes my blood boil :big_eyes:

Unread postPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 7:03 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
:evil: this is not good. I am glad that action is taken against the driver.

Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 5:44 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
What a disgrace :evil: :evil: , why do "visitors" (quoting from the article) have to be warned about the speed limit? Isn't it common sense??????? It is a national park therefore there are animals roaming around therefore you do not drive like you are on the N1 highway between Johannesburg and Pretoria during rush hour traffic. It really saddens/angers me that incidents like this can happen, many "visitors" should not be visiting the park because they do not care about animals, to some it is just another road in another place to drive on :( :(

Tamboti 30 December 2014
Berg en Dal 31 December 204 - 03 January 2015

Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 6:36 am 

OH dear not another unnecessary death of one of our precious animals :cry:
and by the very humans who are supposed to be protecting them :cry:
Lets hope the hippo died instantly and didn't suffer for too long :( :( :(

Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:11 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Last time I was in the KNP I was actually quite amazed how fast the military vehicles were rocketing around with a bunch of soldiers laughing an carrying on the back. But you pretty much see the police and so forth doing this on public roads outside of reserves so I suppose it is what they do and that's that.

Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:23 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

I have read the article and the comments on News 24, I agree that this should never have happened.

The matter is under investigation, hopefully the offender will be severely disciplined, I request that this forum be kept informed about the process.

In defense of the SANDF, the soldiers are being tainted unnecessarily, they have been deployed to protect our sovereignty albeit not enough of them. They are not all fat useless and lazy as very often mentioned. They also do not just sit in their bases wasting time and tax payers money.

These deployed soldiers are from the Permanent Force as well as from the National Reserve Force. Many hours are spent on patrols and stake outs, I know this as I have had discussions with many of the foot soldiers and their leaders. Most of them are dedicated and equal to their task.

Done 144 visits to National Parks.
What a wonderful privilege.

Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:29 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

At least he did not hit and kill a rhino. That would have been truly ironic.

Johan

Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:47 am 

With all due respect to the people protecting our rhino and risking their lives to do so, but we experienced some really hair raising speeding by anti-poaching units on our recent holiday.

One particular bakkie came tearing past us and 10 minutes later came back speeding in the other direction. I assume it was a regular patrol and they weren't chasing anybody particular at that point.
Carrying on we came across a lion who was very agitated, I guessed (correctly as it turned out) that he was looking for his girlfriend and that they had been separated by the bakkie speeding by. It was then confirmed that they had been mating and scared off the road by the soldiers.

It probably wouldn't have taken much for one or both of them to have been killed as the driver would have had difficulty braking on dirt roads at those kind of speeds.

Last edited by AndreaB on Mon Feb 24, 2014 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:47 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
AndreaB I agree with you. Last July and before that in January we have seen military vehicles and Sanparks vehicles driving at great speed past us as if they are not in a National Park. If a person does not get out of their way they will hit you and maybe even kill you in a car accident just like the case of this hippopotamus that was recently killed by one of them – no difference to them. Just go and see for yourself on the Skukuza/Lower-Sabie/Crocodile Bridge road and elsewhere in Kruger. That is why I agree with you AndreaB, we have seen them.

To all the disciplined and professional Military and Sanparks employees in the Kruger National Park, who are still in the majority, I respect you for the good work that you do. Please continue with your good work as many people from around the world recognize and respect you for your professionalism, integrity and dedication as you are highly visible in the Kruger National Park :clap: :clap: :clap:.

Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 2:45 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Let the investigation run its course before we jump to conclusions.

Imagine the headline, "Rhino slaughtered whilst anti-poaching unit and SANDF vehicles keep to speed limit to not upset tourists!" :tongue:

Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 3:59 pm 

I agree with you Weldtenman, lets not jump to conclusions. If he/she was driving recklesly/fast without a reason, then I agree , throw the book at him/her.

But if some poachers got away , because he was trundling along (keeping the tourists happy) then said tourists can't complain. I have been in the military in KNP , and it is almost imposible to be effective if you have to travel at tourist speeds. The Sanparks personel are also more used to driving with the potential of having to avoid animals , and they are concentrating on driving, not staring into the bush, like we do !

It's an unfortunate fact that the Kruger is on our border, necesitating some form of military presence. (the poaching issue obviously makes it worse)

Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 4:10 pm 

'Tourists' - which is incidentally what we all are in Kruger, irrespective of where we live - will not be unhappy to see military racing as long as it has a purpose. I personally witnessed excessive speeding for no particular purpose and do not agree with that.

I also witnessed multiple incidents of staff driving like idiots whilst off duty, on one particular incident we were all being very careful as a breeding herd of elephants were grazing either side of the road when one guy decided he needed to overtake us all and nearly caused real trouble when the ellies took offence and started charging down the road at all the other cars whilst he made his escape :doh:

Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 4:54 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
We were witness to an army vehicle driving very recklessly and the driver and passenger in fits of laughter, they drove to an intersection, did a u turn, carried on driving recklessly, to tell me they were on the trail of poachers :roll: :roll: , I think they were bored and having a bit of fun :hmz: :hmz:

Tamboti 30 December 2014
Berg en Dal 31 December 204 - 03 January 2015

Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 5:12 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
People who speed around in Kruger have no respect for the park or the animals and should not be allowed to work or drive there :evil: