Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
 Post subject: Re: What is Kruger?
Unread postPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 7:11 am 

johanrebel wrote:
Penny wrote:
This is categorically not the case as I have seen it personally!
So have I. What baffles me is that there are people willing to pay a small fortune to stay at a luxury private lodge which then treats these guests to drinks in full view of a public road. Not only can the guests see cars driving around (so much for the wilderness experience!), but the also get stared at from across the river.

Johan

You know, I suspect that for a certain kind of person, being seen, even being stared at by people who know they paid a small fortune to stay at a lodge like that, might add to their enjoyment. :roll:

Unread postPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 7:13 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
squirrel_asc wrote:
I suspect that for a certain kind of person, being seen, even being stared at by people who know they paid a small fortune to stay at a lodge like that, might add to their enjoyment.

:lol: :doh:

Unread postPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:37 am 

Scottm,

We try very hard to not stifle debate, its just the hunting issue gets very emotive and from past experience derails pretty quickly into some very nasty comments (and actions) directed from both sides. It's this unpleasantness we try to keep off the forum. It's a delicate balancing act.

SANParks does not allow hunting within its boundaries. The law in SA says that once animals leave the boundaries of a national Park they then come under the jurisdiction of the municipal authorities and whatever arrangements they have with the landowners.

Unread postPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:17 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
FAC Member (2012)
johanrebel wrote:
A number of the private lodges are only glorified zoos. All the talk about preserving the pristine wilderness is just a facade and a charade.

Having seen it from both sides, I would agree with this. It is much less fun being driven to a known sighting radioed in than finding your own (or not). But the overseas visitors I spoke to at a wedding last week thought it was magic. But they weren't there for the rejuvenating bush experience, but just to tick off the marketed 'big 5'.

Unread postPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:19 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
FAC Member (2012)
squirrel_asc wrote:
You know, I suspect that for a certain kind of person, being seen, even being stared at by people who know they paid a small fortune to stay at a lodge like that, might add to their enjoyment. :roll:

Agreed :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:40 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hmmm but then surely that concession is in violation of the rules set up by Sanparks!

8 & 9 Jan 2014 at Elephant Walk
10 to 17 January 2014 Ngwenya Lodge
The addiction is fed once again

Unread postPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 11:19 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

squirrel_asc wrote:
:mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Never thought of that! Bunch of self-appointed minor celebrities and red carpet addicts on a luxury safari. Maybe they are not there to watch the animals, but to afford the animals the privilege of watching them. Perhaps the lions at these upmarket reserves carry celebrity checklists and pens discreetly tucked away in their inside pockets?

I've on occasion met game viewing vehicles from top-end lodges on game drive, and their guests can be a sight to behold. The ladies looking like American Christmas trees, what with the jewellry dangling from every suitable part of the body, and some unsuitable ones. The gents with fancy leather hats, silk scarves, and watches worth far more than the game drive vehicle, guide and tracker put together. I must stress that they are not all like that, you get quite normal and down to earth guests too.

Johan

Unread postPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 12:13 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Bush Baptist wrote:
the overseas visitors I spoke to at a wedding last week thought it was magic. But they weren't there for the rejuvenating bush experience, but just to tick off the marketed 'big 5'.

Indeed, and there's the rub: there is a huge market for the make-believe & line-'m-all-up wilderness experience that many lodges offer.

The simple fact is that the majority of people who go on safari are very casual about it. They are not fanatical nature lovers who spend every free moment in the bush. To them, a safari is just two or three nights out of a much longer itinerary, the kind of thing you do since you are visiting South Africa anyway. The greater part of their vacation they spend sipping wine in the Cape; dashing down to Cape Point; driving the Garden Route; zipping through Swaziland in a single day; visiting Robben Island, the Apartheid Museum and Voortrekker Monument, etc.

Such peoples' interest in and knowledge of the (African) natural environment is limited to what they have seen on Animal Planet and National Geographic Channel. They are looking for a one-off "been there, done that" experience, and are happy if they get pictures of the B5 to show off back home.

It is hardly surprising that game lodges try to offer a product that caters to such expectations. That boils down to striving to show the guests the animals the “need” to see within the time afforded in a two or three night stay. That not only requires habituating animals almost to the point where they become semi-tame, but also materially altering the natural environment by the excessive provision of water, bush clearing, constructing a very dense network of tracks, etc. In other words, providing the game viewing that guests expect means taking wilderness out of the equation.

Some lodges also try to broaden their appeal (or justify astronomically high prices) by adding gimmicks such as spas, offering six-course gourmet dinners, and so forth.

I should hasten to add that not all lodge visitors fall into the above category, and that there are lodges which at least try to temper expectations and avoid that pernicious B5 focus. That does mean rowing against the stream, or focusing on niche markets such as birding or walking trails.

The B5-in-a-jiffy type safari is also a typically South African product. I think there are two reasons for this:

- SA has much more to offer than only game viewing, so it attracts a lot of tourists who do not come only, or even primarily, for a safari. Tourists who go to e.g. Botswana or Zambia will do so because they are keen on viewing wildlife, there is not much else to do in those countries. Lodges in those countries will offer a product to match.

- Game reserves in SA are often far from pristine. Even the large national parks have tar roads, power lines, light pollution (the mine at Phalborwa!) dams and waterholes galore and other reminders that civilization is never far away. In other words, it is hard for SA game reserves and NPs to sell a “true wilderness” type of experience. I’m one of the biggest fans around of the KNP, but it ain’t no Okavango Delta, nor is it Kafue, nor Luangwa, just to name a few examples.

The SA lodge industry had to find a viable market segment to compete in, and came up with the speed dating safari, as well as the “luxury getaway with the B5 thrown in for free” concept.

Whether this has been beneficial for the natural environment and its wildlife is debatable. I would say that it has in some ways and not in others, but that’s another story.

Johan

Unread postPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 1:20 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Penny wrote:
Hmmm but then surely that concession is in violation of the rules set up by Sanparks!

Are you referring to the Tinga/Jakkalsbessie side of Lion Sands?

I do not know exactly what their concession agreement stipulates. I have read those of other concessions, but Jakkalsbessie's may well differ.

The concession is not very big at 5,000 ha, and weirdly shaped. It is very narrow, lying between the Sand and Sabi rivers from their confluence to the H1-2 tar road, and then continuing as a narrow strip to the west, south of the Sabi River. In my personal opinion it is really only suitable for walks. I don't know their road network, but suspect that it must be very limited. Given that the concession is bordered and/or bisected by major and busy tar roads (H11, H1-2, H4), and that these often run parallel to the rivers on the KNPs side, it must be a real challenge to stay out of sight. Perhaps the agreement takes that into consideration.

What I do know is that they are allowed the use of certain public roads outside the concession after hours, i.e. after the park and camp gates close for the general public. I've met a Tinga crowd having sundowners on top of Granokop.

Johan