Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 101 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Roads leading to Orpen gate
Unread postPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 1:17 pm 

Hi Guys, thanks for the info, I will definitely avoid the Lydenburg route. Cant afford to replace tyres, never mind anything else.

Unread postPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 6:26 pm 

Drove from Orpen to Nelspruit this week, road is good but watch out for cattle and INSANE drivers overtaking.....

27 - 30 May - Lower Sabie

Unread postPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 3:10 pm 

The suggestion via Hazyview is good - BUT if you are using a GPS DO NOT be tempted to take the road via Numbi - take the R40 - the road is good but be aware of those insane drivers and trucks.

Just outside Hazyview be careful not to speed - on this road (all the way to Bushbuck Ridge) there often two even three speed traps - not worth the aggravation.

As mentioned also be careful - look out for Cattle and goats.

It is lovely drive so enjoy the scenery.

Once inside the park there is a detour so don't get confused just follow the main road.

Enjoy

Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:29 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Albert wrote:
N4 to Nelspruit, then via White River and R40 to Hazyview. Then just continue with the R40 to the turnoff towards Orpen. Previously I would have suggested Belfast-Dullstroom-Lydenburg-Ohrigstad, but the road from about 20 km either side of Lydenburg was quite badly potholed when I last travelled it in November 2013. I will also be in the KNP from May 24!

Hi BarryC

I on the other hand would Rather go the Lydenburg route. I say this because I would much rather travel slowly through Lydenburg and Ohrigstad knowing there are potholes there, than have to drive through Bushbuck and have to deal with Insane Drivers

Bro & Sis Road Trip V2 in September

Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 1:21 pm 

Hi all,

I am also visiting Tamboti in March, so I have the same question.

i am almost tempted to just enter at Phabeni and cruise up. I drove the road between Hazyview and Bushbuckridge once and swore never again.

Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 1:40 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger
Award: Small Parks Promoter of the Year & Sighting of the Year - Small Creatures and Insects (2013)
Barryc, this is a tricky one. Considering all the feedback, I have driven both roads in the past 3 months.

There are pros and cons to both. If you prefer a scenic road, then go via Belfast-Lydenburg-Orighstad. There are potholes, but not as bad as the R40 section to Numbi gate (do not attempt this part).

If you do the Nelspruit R40 - White river - Hazyview - Bushbuckridge road, watch out for speedtraps, trucks and other drivers. The road from Hazyview up north goes through a number of townships and you will travel slowly with lots of activity on the road. The one thing you need to be aware of is possible protests - in those areas. The R40 road is in good condition, just the other factors to consider.

So, I hope I have not confused you more. :hmz:
My choice...I will do the Belfast...Lydenburg via the beautiful Dullstroom town and enjoy the scenery through the tunnel.... :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:07 pm 

As per the previous post it mentions most of what I recomended in my earlier post

I have driven the road from Hazyview to Acornhoek three time in the last three days - there have been no problems during this time - agreed you must be mindful of the possibilities of protests - but this info is available on the Radio (Jackaranda FM) and if you have any doubts - stop at the Police Station in Hazyview to check.

I like the suggestion of going in at Phabeni gate and driving up that way - I often do that. The only thing you must remember is that you may see somethng worht stopping for and that can play havoc with your timing.

If you drive the R40 early in the morning then you will have no problems - talking about 06:00

The road from Hazyview to Phabeni is about 12 km's and apart from one or two potholes the road is good.

Post subject: Roads in bad condition (potholed) unrest leading into KNP.
Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 9:06 pm 

Please note that there are several areas of unrest on the roads surrounding KP.

The Road from Hazyview to Paul Kruger Gate is subject to protests - from around Belfast - Activity there up till yesterday.

The Road into Numbi also suspect and one must check before using that.

The R40 from Hazyview toward Orpen had problems around Bushbuckridge amd near Acornhoek

Suggestions take the R40 to Hazyview and enter at Phabeni Gate.

Alternatively use the other roads EARLY as it appears that the closures occur later in the morning - cannot give a time as it varies.

It would in any event be worthwhile calling Hazyview Police Station or White River Police station to check

I was in KP on Monday morning from 05:30 to 09:00 - travelled only on the Doispane Road - from Phabeni Gate
Two Lionesses,
Buffalo,
Elephant,
Two Rhino - sleeping along the roadside
Wild Dogs,
Giraffe
Wildebeest and then on the way out a pride of Lions with Cubs - exactly where we had seen the Wild Dogs.

A friend of mine went in at 05:30 and saw all that plus Leopard and Black Rhino - he left the park at 07:00

Phabeni Gate a good entry point

Have a good trip

Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 9:09 pm 

See my post on Roads around Kruger

BTW - the R40 does not go to Numbi - the R40 is Good - I drive that road twice a week

Post subject: Re: Roads into Kruger Park
Unread postPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 8:29 am 

Road to Kruger Gate Update as at 28/02.2014

There are active protests on this road today - as at 08:24 the area around Mkuhlu is a no go - and the report is that it is fairly violent

Will update as I get more info

Travel Safely

Unread postPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 9:54 am 

Thanks KC for the info. Any updates would be greatly appreciated as my SO has to exit at Paul Kruger later today to drop off clients in the Sabi Sand :big_eyes: So not sure how he would get home as it would then be too late to do the river road and out at Phabeni :hmz:

Unread postPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 11:18 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Went to Paul Kruger early this morning. Black plumes of smoke just north of Nkuhlu, probably tyres. Saw remnants of burnt tyres on road between Nkuhlu and Paul Kruger. Will go out at Phabeni.

Unread postPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 11:20 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Thanks for the info, Kicker Cat. Guess Phabeni Gate will be the way to go for the moment.

Lots of Forumites will be travelling to Skukuza next Thursday or Friday, so please post any information you have next week. I will definitely go in at Phabeni.

Unread postPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 1:18 pm 

Any further updates on todays protest at Mkuhlu?

Unread postPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 1:52 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Folk coming to our course mid-morning had no problems coming in Kruger gate today.

Have you read the gate leaflet? Do you KNOW the regulations?

Completed over 5 years in Kruger in my caravan.

If I were normal I wouldn't be me!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 101 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next