Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 525 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 31, 32, 33, 34, 35
 Post subject: Re: Facilities at Kruger camp sites
Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:08 pm 

Thanks Mfezi and all, spent a Week or so at Satara and Pretoriuskop with my little 2 man tent last Year but want to extend that to around 40 days this Year and do the whole park S to N, will no doubt forget something.

Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:19 am 

Bush Baptist wrote:
Safari tents for instance have no crockery, utensils nor kitchen. There is a private braai (barbecue) where you can build a wood/charcoal fire and use the attached grid to cook on.

Are you referring to the permanent tents ? What about the camping sites, do they have private braai stands or are they communal ? We will be at Skukuza, Berg, Lower Sabie and Satara and have never been camping before, would like to know what to expect. Thanks!

Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:27 am 

The camping sites also each have a braai stand. :thumbs_up:

Kruger - May 24th - June 6th 2014.

Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:32 am 

Thank you, can't wait to be there !

Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:24 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
FAC Member (2012)
Communal kitchens are where I gather 'intelligence' for the next day.

Unread postPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 3:53 am 

Just a little hint, BOOK the holiday. Last Year when in Kruger I drove around and booked in as I arrived at a camp. Got a bit of a shock when checking availability Today, had to change my plans drastically as a lot of what I wanted had been booked out. Have now booked less than 4 Weeks, although I'd planned 6 Weeeks.
Wonder if people book just in case then change if can't make it?
Hope this helps someone.

Unread postPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 7:13 am 

Just keep on checking regularly to see if anything becomes free. Always worth a look as some people do not take up their options on the due date.

Good luck and enjoy

Mike

Post subject: Camping in Kruger - Sleeping Bag recommendations
Unread postPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 7:41 am 

Hello,

We will be camping for 9 days at the end of March in Kruger (Berg, Lower Sabie, Satara) for the very first time (been to Kruger before but always stayed in the chalets or permanent tents). So we are in the process of buying all the gear we need but not sure what temperature sleeping bags to get. We were looking at either -2, 0, or +10, I don't recaall seeing anything around +5. Hopefully all will go well and we will be doing a lot more camping, probably in winter sometimes. Would the 0 or -2 be way too hot for March ? When we were in Tamboti last May there were 2 nights it was under 10 and we really froze in their tents (lots of wind too). I was thinking the 0 might be good for all but the coldest nights if it is not too hot for March. I would like to avoid getting more than 1 if possible but if it isn't practical we will adapt. What do you recommend ? We will be on an air mattress and possibly a frame bed as well if that makes any difference. Thanks in advance.

Kelly

Post subject: Re: Camping in Kruger - Sleeping Bag recommendations
Unread postPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 9:47 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Hi Kelly :D

Welcome to the camping club.

The coldest I have ever been in Kruger was Tambotie, so I understand your discomfort. Being next to a river, even if it is often dry, means the temperature can drop very low.

I was looking to see what kind of sleeping bag I used, which is quite adequate. I think that it is currently with my daughter. I think it was -5. I bought it at Outdoor Warehouse, if I remember correctly.

I take an empty duvet cover in summer for really hot nights and thermal clothing for winter. If need be I will pack a duvet in winter, just in case. I also take a wooly hat and thermal socks for winter. Although I have camped frequently in winter, nothing has compared to Tambotie. When I left later in the morning, my car thermometer registered -8.

It is not only what we put on top, but also what goes underneath. I saw in a thread a few years ago that newspaper made an excellent insulation against cold.

I no longer use an air mattress, but when I did, I found them to be quite comfortable. Do take a puncture kit with you. Even though I am a very small person, mine regularly sprung a leak.

Unread postPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 11:15 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

From my personal experience (which may be unique to me!) I prefer just using my duvet whilst camping. I have one of those 'packs small' sleeping bags meant for hiking and I find it very uncomfortable for camping - even if it is really cold I sweat a lot in it which makes things really uncomfortable. So if I were going to buy a new one I would look for a cotton inner one, and I would probably land up using it as a duvet (hence my not rushing out to buy one over my duvet :wink: ). In summer I also use an empty duvet cover to sleep in as I tend to kick bedding off, so if I'm in the cover I know my feet are protected from mozzies. For winter camping we used the newspaper and an old blanket (one of those cheap grey jobs from Pep) trick underneath and added a Woolies fleece blanket on top - these pack small and are surprisingly warm! Plus fleece pajamas and beanies - we camped in the Karoo and Mountain Zebra at the end of May, where this set up worked very well. Good Luck deciding, and have a wonderful time camping!

Unread postPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 11:54 am 

I'm not sure about the temps in March but we have always camped in Jul/Aug. For that we've taken 2 season bags which go to -5/+10 comfort range. The first time we went we took 0/+15 bags and froze for some of the time. I'd always rather have a bag where you can be too hot, unzip the side and stick your leg out to cool down than be too cold, as that makes for a rubbish night's sleep.

The coldest we got in August was -2 in Lower Sabie, that was in 2009.

Hope that helps.
:D

Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 6:45 am 

Thanks so much for your replies. It sounds like the 0 or -2 are going to be more useful if we plan on going in winter as well. The idea about the cotton lining is a good one, I was thinking about putting the duvet cover inside the bag to prevent sweating but I will look for a cotton-lined one too. Hadn't thought about the puncture kit, another great idea thanks ! It has been added to the ever-growing list, lol.

Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:02 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

We also take a duvet for camping (unless I'm hiking). They're more comfortable and easier to regulate your temperature. We bought a special (green) duvet cover set for camping :)

I'd also recommend rubberized canvas airbeds instead of the Intex-type, the canvas lasts much longer (and is worth the extra, have a look at Checkers at the Bush Baby range).

FGASA Level 1 Guide

Glen Reenen TR

15-18 June: Berg-en-dal

Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 7:57 pm 

HermanPienaar wrote:
Kruger is too warm for sleeping bags (in my opinion). I only use a inflatable mattress and some sheets or very light duvet.

It really depends when you go Herman - certainly in the winter months you need more than that!!

Unread postPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 9:59 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

The end of March is still quite hot (if its not overcast and raining that is) so dont go too overboard.
We use a duvet and i generally just lay on top of it most if not all of the time. Sometimes I cover myself in the early morning hours but not very often. The only time i really got cold was in July at Satara but then all i had was a duvet to cover myself with (sleeping in shorts and a t-shirt)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 525 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 31, 32, 33, 34, 35