Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 60 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Paid links in Signatures - New VHR Project
Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:06 am 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Location: Johannesburg - where they cut down trees and name streets after them.
Dear Members,

With the approval of Nedret Saidova, Senior Manager: E-Business, a new project will be launched on the SANParks forum. All proceeds will go to the Honorary Rangers Virtual Region, feedback will be given on what project these funds will be used for.

This project will allow members to include links in signatures at a fee. Any forum and sanparks.org links will not be affected.

The guidelines and structure:

1.This service is only available to members that are in good standing with SANParks and the HRs with a minimum post count of 20.

2.Websites promoting the following businesses or causes will not be considered: Accommodation, Nature or Game Reserves, Safari Companies, Application and Sightings Groups, Forums, Webcams and any business which is typically "off topic" on this forum.

3. Only one link per signature will be allowed.

4. No banners in signatures.

5. The link may not be promoted or included in posts.

6. Neither SANParks or the VHRs endorse the products advertised.

7. Only links as per application and approval from the VHR's may be displayed. Links can only be changed during the term of agreement upon written agreement from the VHR's.

8. To prevent paid links to be flagged for removal a code will be provided to the member which has to be included in his signature. Any links in signatures where this code is not included will immediately be removed according to the rules.

9. Members will pay for a link for the duration of one calender year. The moderators undertake not to remove paid links during the course of the year of agreement and should a link be removed by the member beforehand, no refund will be considered.

10. One change per year permitted to accommodate website changes etc. provided that the new link relates to the original link.

11. Once an application has been approved, the banking details and reference for payment will be given and proof of payment must be emailed and confirmed before the link may be posted.

12. The charge will be:
R 240.00 per year (or part thereof)for private links.
R 960.00 per year (or part thereof)for commercial links.

13. All links which fall under this new structure have to be removed before the 28th of February 2014 and paid links will be in effect from the 1st of March 2014.

An application form can be requested by sending an email to: spsignaturelink@gmail.com

Thank you for your continued support!

Post subject: Re: Paid links in Signatures - New VHR Project
Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 12:11 pm 

Just a reminder. :)
Quote:
7. All links which fall under this new structure have to be removed before the 28th of February 2014 and paid links will be in effect from the 1st of March 2014.

Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:57 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

I'd just like to clarify this a bit. Does this new rule mean that i would have to pay to have the link to my project website that is currently in my signature? or to have a link to a personal photography site?

Does this now also mean that we cannot put links in posts? Otherwise surely i could just paste the link at the end of each post? or anywhere in the post for that matter?
Cheers

Please use the online form or download the spreadsheet to report leopard sightings.
You can also download a free copy of the identification guides for KTP and Augrabies.
F1/2014

Unread postPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 4:17 am 

Hi AstroMatt,

Your question has been noted and a reply should be forthcoming soon. :)

Unread postPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 10:17 am 

I am sorry to be dense but can you please explain further what this offers? Links to other websites like personal blogs? I am not completely certain what I am missing..
Thank you, Nancy

Unread postPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 10:46 pm 

Hi Desertship,

Warm welcome to the forum!

Personal links (to personal blogs and such) were always allowed and commercial links were against the rules. Now both will be allowed subject to the conditions in the first post.

Unread postPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:25 am 

On Friday 28th Feb at 17:30 we are going to run the first step in the implementation of this policy. The technical people will be running a script that will remove all signatures that do not contain the words "sanparks.org". This will be a one off task and you will then be able to replace your signature on 1st March.

From 1st March onwards links in signatures will be monitored. If your signature links to a page on the forum or a page on the SANParks website then you need take no further action. However if your signature links to an external website you need to apply to the address in the first post in this thread. Once authorised, you will be given a code that needs to be displayed alongside your link. All non-authorised links in signatures will be removed.

Unread postPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 2:22 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

While it doesn't affect me personally at all, I am really NOT impressed by this "imposed fundraising" move. What about such important -- but not SANParks -- links as AstroMatt's and wanderw's link(s) to their leopard ID project, which originated (started by wanderw and her daughter) as a forum thread? As well, what about Aat's equally important link(s) to his Tuskers website? These are just two stellar instances, I'm sure that there are others -- and why should these forum members PAY for these links that only add value to this forum?

I really do feel that the SANParks forum is becoming an increasingly unfriendly place with less and less consideration for and tolerance of the varied -- but not exclusively SANParks -- conservation and wildlife interests and endeavours of forumites and far too much petty policing. Sad that what was once such a friendly and tolerant, embracing place has become saddled with so much petty, exclusionary beaurocracy.

31 Oct-1 Nov Pafuri River Camp
2-15 Nov KNP: Punda Maria, Sirheni, Olifants, Tamboti, Skukuza
16-22 Nov Cape Town
23 Nov-20 Jan Darling

Unread postPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 8:23 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

I have often linked to a site with more info on various topics. The links to photographic sites and camera reviews are very useful!
Sadly, as much as I enjoy trip reports, I find a lack of up to date snippets of info from a scientific viewpoint nowadays.
It seems to me that fewer people are posting nowadays.

Unread postPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 2:33 pm 

Dear arks,

Where do you get the information that AstroMatt has to pay to place the link in his sig of his (approved by SANParks) leopard ID project from?

A roaring lion does not catch any prey - African Proverb

Unread postPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 2:52 pm 

kite wrote:
I have often linked to a site with more info on various topics. The links to photographic sites and camera reviews are very useful!

If you wish to assist another forum member with on topic information and provide a link to a website to do this, and it is not because you want to promote something for your own commercial gain (basically as the forums have been managed up to this point) you can still do this. Take for eg in Forum Indaba and one needs to link to News24 for copyright purposes - that has been allowed and will continue to be allowed.

If you refer to the opening post - this now offers people who wish to advertise a commercial link in their signatures - thus giving folk the opportunity to now advertise here (within the guidelines in the opening post) which has not been allowed in the past.

There are currently 99 links to such commercial sites/blogs etc in signatures around the forums. People who are sidestepping the rules and now can apply and add a signature of a commercial nature.

Members who have never been able to advertise their commercial photo sites etc, can now do so for a nominal fee.

A roaring lion does not catch any prey - African Proverb

Unread postPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 3:25 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

DinkyBird wrote:
Dear arks,

Where do you get the information that AstroMatt has to pay to place the link in his sig of his (approved by SANParks) leopard ID project from?

Perhaps I've misunderstood, but I think the 'rules' for what is allowed or disallowed are very unclear. It certainly sounds to me like any links that aren't specifically SANParks must be paid for?

31 Oct-1 Nov Pafuri River Camp
2-15 Nov KNP: Punda Maria, Sirheni, Olifants, Tamboti, Skukuza
16-22 Nov Cape Town
23 Nov-20 Jan Darling

Unread postPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 5:13 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

I'm confused as well.

12. The charge will be:
R 240.00 per year (or part thereof)for private links.
R 960.00 per year (or part thereof)for commercial links.

Is there another rule if a non SANParks link is approved of then it is free? What is the process to have SANParks approve a link?

Unread postPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 7:32 pm 

Quote:
Is there another rule if a non SANParks link is approved of then it is free?

Sort of yes.
That makes provision for links to websites like the Honorary Rangers, research projects and such which are sanctioned by SANParks.
Quote:
What is the process to have SANParks approve a link?

Please write to the email address in the first post and an application form will be sent to you.
The mods will send it on to SANParks to confirm the project/website is sanctioned by them.

Unread postPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 8:34 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hi forumites / moddies,

I have run the process to remove all external links that do not have sanparks.org in them, there were some with mixed external urls and sanparks.org - these have also been removed.

In total only 132 signatures were removed.

Thanks