Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 13 posts ] 
 Post subject: Bookings for December
Unread postPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 1:24 pm 

I was told by Central reservations that bookings for December only open on the 1st Feb and by Lower Sabie Camp itself that bookings will be open 16th January.

Just checked on the availability ...BOTH Family cottages FU4V are off the availability list together with odd days in December. :wall:

How is this possible considering that bookings haven't even opened yet.? I am mad as a snake about this and feel we deserve an explanation. :rtm: Who was given preferential treatment here. Very unfair to the rest of us.

Post subject: Re: Bookings for December
Unread postPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 1:39 pm 

Thanks granny. At least I now have some information as to when bookings for Dec 2014 actually open, for the Kruger National Park.

I don't understand why sanparks don't make a media release on this subject (they have done in the past), and make it clear on the website as to when the various Dec / New Year bookings will be open (at present the website info is as per standard months ... which December isn't any more).

Can we please have a clarification for the dates when Dec 2014 and Jan 2015 bookings open?

And yes ... I too noticed that certain accommodation is slowly salting away over the last week, for example Keartland Guest House and Family Guest cottages. It all feels a bit non transparent. :(

Unread postPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 2:29 pm 

I have just checked other Camps. Olifants unit 14 has had 2 nights booked, and Biyamiti 5.

Something very fishy here. :naughty:

Unread postPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 3:01 pm 

Hi granny and zivvy&muffin

Your queries have been forwarded to SANParks PR.

A roaring lion does not catch any prey - African Proverb

Unread postPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 4:33 pm 

Looking forward to the answer to this one. There is a lot of discussion regarding this on Face Book and all a bit confusing as we are all waiting patiently for the 16th

Unread postPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 4:52 pm 

This may be a silly question, but what do you mean that bookings open for Lower Sabie on 16th Jan? I was under the impression they all open 11months in advance i.e. Feb 1st in this case.

As an overseas visitor, I've only ever used the online booking system, and was planning to be ready to go for Feb 1st to book our next trip to Kruger, but if availability opens up on 16th Jan through some other means, I'd love to know?

But, the original poster's question is also something that has been puzzling me, so Im glad Im not the only one that's been thinking about this! Looking forward to a response.

Unread postPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 5:32 pm 

Hi Dobbo77, welcome to the forum.

Online bookings open 10 months in advance, but you can phone, email or visit (but not an option for you) Central Reservations 11 months in advance.

Bookings for Dec and Jan are different. Because people experienced difficulties in booking continuously between Dec and Jan, a couple of years ago SANParks decided to open bookings for both months at the same time. So Bookings for Dec open 10.5 months ahead and for Jan open 11.5 months ahead.

Unread postPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 5:36 pm 

Thanks, thats very helpful!

Unread postPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:32 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

saraf wrote:

Online bookings open 10 months in advance, but you can phone, email or visit (but not an option for you) Central Reservations 11 months in advance.

Bookings for Dec and Jan are different. Because people experienced difficulties in booking continuously between Dec and Jan, a couple of years ago SANParks decided to open bookings for both months at the same time. So Bookings for Dec open 10.5 months ahead and for Jan open 11.5 months ahead.

This doesn't answer the question though of why certain units are shown as being not available when booking only opens on Thursday.

Just had a quick look online and the FUV4 do seem to be gone already over the Xmas period. :hmz:

Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 3:00 pm 

Nothing new here.

It’s the same for every month when bookings open. Check the availability at 6am on the day bookings open for any month of the year and the most popular units are already gone, but bookings are only meant to open at 7:30am, 11 months in advance (obviously with the exception of December/January as explained by Elsa)

I hope for final official clarity on this

Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:17 pm 

I have also noted last week when i checked lower sabie that Keartland guesthouse was booked for 3 weeks during december. r. I then phoned a satelite office to ask if i can book but was told the bookings for december and january both open on 16 january.

All i can think off is that sanpark staff get the privelige to book in advance. I told the lady that some units were already booked so how is that possible. Her answer was you cant book now.

Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:26 pm 

Even checked now that Nshawu guest house is booked on 5th and 6th december. By who??? :twisted: :evil:

Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 7:46 am 

Has there been any official answer to this?