Skip to Content

Ciao! (Selati) Restaurant - Closure Info

Discuss and find information on the Kruger National Park
spargish
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Ciao! (Selati) Restaurant - Closure Info

Unread postby spargish » Fri Jan 10, 2014 2:35 pm

I'm interested to find out if Anybody has eaten at Ciao! yet at the Selati train in Skukuza since it has been open for over a month now.

I searched the Forum and have only seen on mention of some one eating there, they had given it positive feedback not to much other information...

Is it Fully Italian like Ciao baby cucino or is it a mix of Ciao!'s different brands? How was the food and service etc? :hmz:

I stayed at Skukuza during December but it was really just as a transit camp so didnt have time to check out Ciao!.
TR December Delights completed
TR Cricket Days and last nights of Summer now on

SurfCindy
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Re: Anybody Eaten at Ciao! yet?

Unread postby SurfCindy » Fri Jan 10, 2014 4:06 pm

Hi Spargish

We ate there in December, and while the service was a bit hit and miss (I think this was due to the fact that everything was new and they weren't 100% sure of the menu as some of our questions went unanswered) the food was fantastic. My mom and I ate the calamari and my SO had a pizza and all three meals were really tasty and were of good quality. I suppose it is a bit easier with the sterling but thought the restaurant was good value for money and a nice treat whilst in the Kruger. I am unable to compare it with other Ciaos as I have never been to one before visiting the Skukuza branch.

Hope this helps, but would highly recommend it.

Kaapsedraai
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Kaapsedraai » Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:43 pm

spargish and hugh, well we visited Selati restaurant 3 times i.e when we stayed at Skukuza on 15 Dec'13 and enjoyed supper, on our way down from Satara to Berg n Dal for lunch and then again when we moved from Berg n Dal to Pretoriuskop.

Each time we had something different and the food was really great. SurfCindy mentioned something about the service, but I know that some of the staff was in training, so some growing pains. Ask for Excellence - great waiter.

With our first visit, I had pizza and SO chicken covered with mushroom, avo, feta and topped with melted mozarella, and deepfried mashpotato and veggies on the side - she raved about it resulting in me ordering it with our second visit. With the third visit I had some delicious pasta and she and my girl some pizza.

I had an interesting conversation with the manager during our third visit as he recognised us when he told me that the restaurant might or is no longer part of Ciao! and they will have their own identity, but will keep the name Selati restaurant. Not sure of the detail re this change, but I guess, the manager will be most willing to obtain feedback from visitors regarding their experience. We enjoyed some refreshing sangria with our meals.

So, besides the pizza - (which is woodfired type) and pasta dishes, there are some other great dishes to try out. I will definitely go back and say - give it try :D .

A suggestion - get your table, place your drinks order and meals and then go and sit in the aircon train coaches, especially when it is a hot day. Once the meals are ready, the waiter will come call you - so, a really great way to relax while waiting for the food.
Now active - TMNP: Table Mountain's mood today
Now active - KRUGER Dec'14: 14 days appreciation of nature & wild company
Currently - Wildernis Ebb & Flo: 24-27 Apr'15 :lol:
Future trip - Kruger: 10-25 Dec'15

DavenJan
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread postby DavenJan » Sat Jan 11, 2014 6:56 am

We ate there at lunchtime on 4 January, while waiting to book in. We were very impressed with both the service and the food. Our waiter has been there for some time and was attentive and helpful. In fact all the staff were pleasant. We were told that Ciao is a Pretoria based company, not Ciao Baby.
We split a 37 cm chicken and sundried tomato pizza between us, very nice too. As well as pizza and pasta there was a selection of other meals too.
Suffice to say we will be giving it another visit in March.
By the way, they also offer a delivery service!:-) :-)
Long live Cricket@Skukuza

Si thi

Ready for the next Cricket Weekend!

hilda
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

Unread postby hilda » Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:01 am

billh wrote:Too bad. There's a sign in reception advising that Ciao is closed until further notice!!!

Very sad news billh! :(

We had dinner there on 12 January 2014, and had a lovely evening! Great food, as well as great, very friendly service! We were a party of 32 people, and each and everyone was very satisfied with their food and the service was excellent, especially if the amount of people to be served was taken into account! :dance: :dance:
Support the ONLINE AUCTION 2015: Less than a month left! HERE!

Lesego
Guru
Guru

Unread postby Lesego » Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:11 am

Dear 'Mites;

SANParks can definitely confirm that Ciao Restaurant, formally Selati Restaurant in Skukuza, has been closed until further notice. We apologies for any inconvenience caused to our valued patrons during the closure of this service. SANParks is working hard to restore this service.
Lesego Nko
Web forum and Online Stakeholder Relations
Lesego.nko@sanparks.org
Tel: (012) 426 5202

Elsa

Unread postby Elsa » Fri Feb 07, 2014 3:04 pm

Thanks for the report Les.
Sure there will be an update when one is available.
Where ever you go, go with all your Heart.

Kruger - 22nd May - 5th June 2015

Kaapsedraai
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Kaapsedraai » Fri Feb 07, 2014 7:07 pm

I was there on 27 Jan'14 and had a lovely meal, but was surprised to find different Management there - CIAO 's own management. There was some issue which I think is not proper or my place to share, but when I returned to Skukuza 2 days ago, I found restaurant closed and I walk in and found the previous Management there again. It appears the matter is a sensitive one and just hope it can be resolved soon.

The reason why I walked in, was that I shared with both the different managers the importance of them keeping an eye on the Forum as they will get valuable feedback from passionate and loyal customers. I shared with them how to access and what they should be doing as well as they need to treasure the privilege of having a restaurant at such a historical location. :hmz:

Must say, I was looking forward to a meal on my last night at Kruger after 12 days, but I settled for a rump and boerewors on the braai in front of the tent with bottle of the red juice. :D

Just feel sorry for all the mites that were looking forward to a meal and enjoy the historical place. :cry:
Now active - TMNP: Table Mountain's mood today
Now active - KRUGER Dec'14: 14 days appreciation of nature & wild company
Currently - Wildernis Ebb & Flo: 24-27 Apr'15 :lol:
Future trip - Kruger: 10-25 Dec'15

crackers

Unread postby crackers » Mon Mar 24, 2014 12:12 pm

There is an ongoing court case between Sanparks and the former manager of the restaurant which presumably must be settled before any changes/re-opening can occur. :?
Getting married in Kruger in 2014

saraf

Unread postby saraf » Mon Mar 24, 2014 3:28 pm

Link to a news article from about a month ago, which is presumably what crackers is referring to.

http://lowvelder.co.za/51948/selati-res ... l-dispute/
The GREAT 2015 Online Auction is here. Get your bids in soon, it won't be around for ever.

lepages

Selati Train Station Restaurant

Unread postby lepages » Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:00 pm

Does anyone have updated info on the Selati Restaurant?

saraf

Re: Selati Train Station Restaurant

Unread postby saraf » Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:20 pm

No sorry.

Its not open and awaiting the outcome of a court case so we are watching and waiting.
The GREAT 2015 Online Auction is here. Get your bids in soon, it won't be around for ever.

Sharkalaka

Selati Train Restaurant

Unread postby Sharkalaka » Fri Oct 10, 2014 9:10 pm

Good day

I have guests going to Skukuza soon. I was there a few weeks ago and the train restaurant was still not operational. Anyone here perhaps got any idea if it is open yet and if not when it will be opened? My clients will perhaps want to watch the rugby :clap: and I need to know if it will be broadcast there like before? Any help will be much appreciated!
SH[color=#FF0000]ARKALAKA[/color]

Elsa

Unread postby Elsa » Fri Oct 10, 2014 9:27 pm

Unfortunately there is no further news re the opening of the restaurant and I assume the legal procedures are still on going.

Elsa

Re: Anybody Eaten at Ciao! yet? (Selati)

Unread postby Elsa » Mon Dec 01, 2014 9:49 pm

Not that we have heard but I can try and find out from SANParks PR.

Return to “Kruger National Park”