Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 126 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: Cost to visit KNP
Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:03 pm 

It’s plenty for me also Bush Baptist, around 20% of my annual salary :?

I can visit a “big 5” KZN resort and save 25% on accommodation and 30% on fuel, but it’s not Kruger, so I scratch throughout the year to ensure my kids experience Kruger as I did as a kid.

However, it’s not sustainable for me, especially as the kids approach 12 and I have to pay adult rates for them, so only 1 trip planned for 2015 and I assume that many will also be in this boat in the future :cry:

Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:33 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

I am finding this thread very absorbing.

Life is about choices.

Some of us are prepared to sacrifice some things on order to achieve our goals.

Not everyone does.

Unread postPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 12:27 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

@ dabchick: I think your "rant" about overseas visitors "complaining" about the very high WildCard cost is a bit unfair. We are "required" to purchase an all-clusters card even if we are only visiting one park or only parks in one part of the country. As well, it generally costs me at least $2500 in airfare and another $600+ for a rental car, so please consider that we overseas visitors, who support SANParks and return again and again, have substantial additional costs that most saffies don't have. Also, most overseas visitors can only visit once (or perhaps twice) a year, so the WildCard has a somewhat limited value for us.

31 Oct-1 Nov Pafuri River Camp
2-15 Nov KNP: Punda Maria, Sirheni, Olifants, Tamboti, Skukuza
16-22 Nov Cape Town
23 Nov-20 Jan Darling

Unread postPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 8:30 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

I am always amazed at the enthusiasm and devotion of our international guests who travel across the world at great expense to spend their holidays in our wonderful parks with our amazing wildlife.
I hope that you feel most welcome as we love to have you here.
It makes me realize how privileged I am to have all this on my doorstep and I am sorry to say that I have not yet visited as many parks as some from further afield.
I hope to visit all our parks eventually but still have to manage return visits to Kruger.
The difference in price between an All Parks cluster wild card and a San Parks cluster wild card for locals is only R20 and if there was an international San Parks cluster it would probably reflect a similar low difference.
I appreciate that most people have to make sacrifices to spend time in our parks and I think we would all appreciate it if the annual rates for wild cards and especially accommodation would not increase every year as it is becoming unaffordable for many including the hard core supporters.

Unread postPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 8:57 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Mcook wrote:
Things are very different for a family who don’t camp in KNP, which applies to the majority of visitors.
We are visiting KNP 3 times this year and staying in a mix of huts, safari tents, bungalows and chalets. The below is for 2 adults and 3 kids.

April: 9 nights = R15 786
July: 10 nights = R21 913
October: 9 nights = R 18 635

Total 2014 nights = 28 nights

Total cost = R56 334 at an average of R2012 per night.

We live 600km from KNP and generally spend maximum R6000 per trip on fuel, food, etc (R4000 on fuel and R2000 on food), so this total for the year is around R18 000.

So for me personally the accommodation cost makes up 76% and the rest 24%.

I’m fairly certain that this would be applicable for most families (by this I mean a family of 4 or more) who don’t camp.

:hmz:

I forgot about the beer which is probably another R60 per day for me :D

Wow! 28 nights per year in Kruger! I wish.... :mrgreen:

As BB said, life is about choices...(and the figures I quoted re SeanP and BB were NOT for camping and were for 4 and 5 people respectively).

And I also left out my beer money from the calculation. Guess accommodation would only be 10% of the total in my case.... :lol:

Unread postPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 9:22 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Thanks for the vote of confidence, kite! :D To me, the annual increases that SANParks makes seem excessive (and I believe also more than the annual rate of inflation?) and they are certainly limiting my future visits :( I stay in far nicer self-catering accommodation in Cape Town and Joburg for less than half the price of what I must pay for KNP and KTP and even the less expensive parks. Granted SANParks offers excepional wildlife experiences along with their accommodation, but I really do feel that the difference in price is more than a bit excessive -- under R400 per night versus over R900 per night for one person is a HUGE difference in cost! :evil: :roll:

31 Oct-1 Nov Pafuri River Camp
2-15 Nov KNP: Punda Maria, Sirheni, Olifants, Tamboti, Skukuza
16-22 Nov Cape Town
23 Nov-20 Jan Darling

Unread postPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 3:36 pm 

We stay 10 Km from the KP and visit whenever we can - we have a Wild Card and of course this saves a lot of money - but twice a year we go and stay in the park - typically in December or January and June.

Staying in the park is not that cheap although not that expensive either. We are lucky to be able to spend time at the adjacent private lodges and one cannot really IMHO compare the two experiences.

I fond that the chalets in KP are sometimes good and other times shabby - Aircons are a problem in December and January and VERY often do not work at all.

The thing that bugs me most is the cost of goods in the shops - mostly 20 to 30 % more expensive than just outside the Park.

Restaurants (you sometimes want to have a meal prepared for you) have over the past years been abysmal - thank goodness for the new franchises coming in.

All Sanparks need to do is a little more quality control and it will be what it used to be.

Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 8:59 am 

Can anyone tell me please, does the daily conservation fee apply to children/infants under age 2 years?
We now have a 6 month old daughter, will we be paying the full child rate every time we enter the park?
Thanks.

Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:11 am 

Hugh wrote:
From what I believe toddlers under 2 do not pay

Thank you

Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 10:26 am 

Elsa wrote:
Child rates apply to persons aged 2 -11 years, infants under 2 years Gratis

Taken from Here
but that does apply for accommodation.
I think if you get a wildcard, you would have to get a family card.
it states any child who is under the age of 18 is included.

Thanks, we have a couples wildcard, I'm not going to buy a family one when under 2's are free. Have received an email from the regional general manager stating under 2's are free, will print and keep it with me.

Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 2:47 pm 

I don't know if I can take credit for starting off a very good debate, but I do take pride that at least I've brought some cheaper options in the Kruger private game reserves under everyone's attention. :D

And seems I am not alone in my findings. There's other people with similar experiences. But then the debate seems to have gone "families vs single travelers". I mean; it seems people are saying Kruger NP is better for families while the private reserves are better for single travelers. Again; I'm not too sure it's as simple as that. It just depends on what, where and when you book. You have to shop around, do your homework. Just one example; Africa On Foot in Klaserie does have a family room as well.

There's also some misconceptions about the game viewing quality IMHO. I assume it's because you're all Kruger NP fans here, and have (almost) never visited private reserves?

I've been doing both self drives and visiting private reserves for a number of years now, and I can assure you that the number of big 5 encounters on a private reserve is much higher than in Kruger Park, even taking into account that in the park you can be out all day.

Then there's the quality of the encounters. In Kruger, your have to be lucky to get cat sightings close to the road. In a private reserve, almost every cat sighting is a close one (as they drive up to the cat). And then; out of all the "good" sightings in Kruger NP; how many do you have to yourself? In a private reserve I've never had more than two vehicles around a sighting.

So, in my experience, taking into account the proximity of the animal, the number of vehicles around,etc... the ratio of fantastic sightings is about 5 to 1 (ic for every incredible sighting in Kruger you get 5 times as many in a private reserve).

"Then why do you still come to the park?" I hear you ask. Well, because you're right on one point; spotting an animal yourself is a lot of fun. Quite different than a guide/tracker team finding an animal for you, or driving up to a sighting that was shared on the radio. Mind you; my wife & I are FGASA lvl1 field guides, so it's even more of a drug to us to find our own animals.

Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 2:48 pm 

Anyway, coming back to prices: my trip for September is fully booked now. And I thought I'd share some figures with you.

A self drive portion of our trip;

R 1305 Wild card (taking only half the cost into account, as card used once before this year)
R 3723 Four nights in Kruger NP, accommodation bungalow style for two people, with private ablutions
R 5730 Nissan X-trail rental car, rented 5 days
R 1500 gas
R 5000 all food for 2, for 5 days
-------
R 17258 TOTAL

A private reserve portion of our trip:

R 15600 4 nights Ndzuti lodge in Klaserie (on the bank of Klaserie river!)
R 200 Klaserie Levies
R 1000 tips
-------
R 16800 TOTAL

Notes;
- did not take drinks into account. Can perhaps be a bit more expensive in a private reserve, but not that much. Ndzuti is not a posh place that caters to big shot US lawyers.
- did not take flight costs into account as they are irrelevant; both portions of our trip start andend in Hoedspruit airport.
- did not take transfers into account as the lodge provides that for free to/from HDS airport.
- did not take night drives in Kruger NP into account, although I should as we get these at Ndzuti.

See how close both prices are?
Point I wanted to make; it's not just for single travelers that the private reserves can come out better.

When given the choice between the two itineraries above, I'm quite sure that a lot of people would go for the "dolce far niente" option, instead of choosing the itinerary where you have to do it all yourself. Even if the balance would shift a couple thousand rands in favor of Kruger NP.

Ciao,

J.

Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 2:59 pm 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

............and there's the beauty of it all Pixelpower................we have a choice!!! :thumbs_up:

Some of us will see your price comparisons, and think "Yes, maybe that's for me" and some will just know that they will always want to self drive and self cater, because it suits them better.

The excitement of finding your own sightings still thrills me every time we go to Kruger, so in the main we will continue to do our own thing, however there may come a time when we will try one of Kruger's private places.

Hope you enjoy your next visit, and wishing you fabulous sightings. :dance:

Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 3:47 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Thanks, I intended posting it here.

Many people regard a KNP visit as maybe expensive.

One must always consider what Dr. Rocco Knobel's policy was - "The attraction to our Parks should never be the facilities offered - it should be what is on offer in the Park, outside the camps".

Done 144 visits to National Parks.
What a wonderful privilege.

Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 3:48 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Very interesting pixelpower.

:hmz: R5000 for food for 2 for 5 days. I assume you include alcoholic drinks.

Are they included at the lodge?

R16800 @ 4 nights = R2100 pppn at the lodge, and

R17258 @ 5 nights = R1728.80 pppn in Kruger all told.

I am going solo to Kruger in Nov and am looking to have 3 nights each side of the Balule Bash. I have already decided not to drive up from the Cape by myself as it will cost about R2 per km, and it is 2000 km each way meaning I would spend R8000 on petrol alone, plus 2 nights overnighting and half a car service.

I am looking to fly, either to JHB or closer to Kruger & hiring a car.

How do you handle the 100 km per day option, or do you go for unlimited mileage, or is there an option in between?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 126 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next