Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 126 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: Cost to visit KNP
Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 3:15 pm 

Weltenman wrote:

This is why it is difficult to discuss the cost and value of the KNP. Another point is that every persons idea of value for money is different. In this thread we already have some interesting numbers. From R100 000 for a KNP holiday to R5000, and sometimes the lower amount is the most complained about.

Very true - I save every penny I have to be able to visit Kruger annually, I guess it is all relative to your personal circumstances. Our neighbours next to us in Satara last year gave us a good laugh when they confessed to thinking we were rich overseas visitors who had retired early.... :lol:

The point is that there is nowhere else I can get the Kruger experience, I feel like it is a part of me having visited so many times now and I have an intensely, personal relationship with "my" Kruger.

Having said that there needs to be value for money and they need to look at renovating existing accomodation before expanding into fancy hotels that nobody really wants anyway!!

Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 3:45 pm 

andrew1nesbitt wrote:
squirrel_asc wrote:
Lepardfan wrote:
Very true in Johanrebel's case, the costs is quite competetive.

We are a big family, so for us Kruger are still quite affordable. Also the fact that we don't mind to selfcater and using communal ablutions. Our holidays in Kruger are way cheaper than the Private lodges.

Exactly. It seems travelling alone is what makes the difference. For just about everyone else (couples, families), the private lodges are much more expensive than Kruger...
squirrel_asc wrote:
Lepardfan wrote:Very true in Johanrebel's case, the costs is quite competetive.We are a big family, so for us Kruger are still quite affordable. Also the fact that we don't mind to selfcater and using communal ablutions. Our holidays in Kruger are way cheaper than the Private lodges.Exactly. It seems travelling alone is what makes the difference. For just about everyone else (couples, families), the private lodges are much more expensive than Kruger...

Lepardfan wrote:
Very true in Johanrebel's case, the costs is quite competetive.We are a big family, so for us Kruger are still quite affordable. Also the fact that we don't mind to selfcater and using communal ablutions. Our holidays in Kruger are way cheaper than the Private lodges.
Exactly. It seems travelling alone is what makes the difference. For just about everyone else (couples, families), the private lodges are much more expensive than Kruger...

and in the same breath it is in general cheaper for 4 Adults/ teenagers or more to visit the KNP by staying just outside the park - does this match their strategy of a family destination?

If one reads these conclusions the wording is specific - words used are cheaper, affordable, expensive, costs = rand amounts. Words such as value, worth it, convenience, "the experience" and atmosphere, the softer issues, the "value adds" are, I believe intentionally not mentioned, because these items are so difficult to quantify or hold a different value for different people, and to clarify further 4 Adults/ teenagers or combination thereof requiring private ablutions.

Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 4:52 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Good point, I don't think what we're discussing is specifically "cost", but moreso "value for your money".

KNP provides a lot of bang for our buck.

Yes the Starks do like private unfenced reserves, but I actually don't care so much for the game drives. Granted, our tracker is brilliant so watching him work was a wonder, but being in queue to go see a sighting that was found via radio...ehh. The place we stay is so small, once we were the only guests and another time there was just 1 other family. It's nice to wander the grounds and not see another soul, and have the birdhide overlooking a pond all to myself for hours. But I pay for the privilege and this is the part of our normal trip that Mrs Stark and I are thinking of replacing with a wilderness trail or a stay with the HR's.

Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 6:50 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Stark, good idea. :thumbs_up:

The wilderness trails give an experience that is unique and priceless.

Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 8:44 am 

For this exercise I shall not include my flights to and from South Africa, however will now quickly do a run down of my costs and then compare them to a private lodge... 15 nights in Kruger!

SANPARKS Accommodation for 4 people in 2 units at LS and Satara = R30 000 (15 nights).
Car Rental Toyota Fortuner = R20 000
Food and Drinks (self catering 3 meals pppd and snacks without skimping) = R15 000
Alcohol = R2000
Petrol = 5000
Miscellaneous = 5000

Grand Total = R77 000

Individual Cost PPPD = R1283

This is still a bargain compared to a luxury lodge... and one gets to explore Kruger ALL DAY LONG!!!

Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 6:26 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Mcook wrote:
SeanP wrote:

Wow, 95% of Saffies couldn’t afford that, especially young families with kids. I find R2000 per day for a 5 sleeper bungalow more than I can handle for 2 adults and 3 kids

Lower Sabie has some budget bungalows that to my mind are the best value around. I suppose the difficulty is getting a booking.

Pretorius Kop is another place where it is possible to economise.

Tambotie, Letaba and Skukuza have 4 sleeper tents that make it possible to have a more affordable holiday.

Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 7:36 am 

Mcook wrote:
SeanP wrote:

Wow, 95% of Saffies couldn’t afford that, especially young families with kids. I find R2000 per day for a 5 sleeper bungalow more than I can handle for 2 adults and 3 kids

If you subtract car rental, which Saffies wouldn't have to pay, it comes down to R950 pppd. Quite a big difference :shock:

Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 12:43 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
FAC Member (2012)
I have just booked for Kgalagadi for December for 5 nights for 5 people.

Accom cost = 9870
Wild cards = 1430
Food & drink = 2500 (conservative)
Fuel home to home = 7000
1 walk & 1 game drive each = 3000
Total 23800
Average per person per day = R952

Staying longer brings the pppd cost down.

An extra night would be (2030+500+500) R3030 or R606 each

R4600 fuel to get there & back makes it worth while to stay as long as possible.

Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 6:18 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger
Today is the day that we have to pay our deposit for our December 2014 trip :shock: :shock: R6676.00, such a expense at this time of the year, I just wish that the deposit could be a lesser amount :roll:

Tamboti 30 December 2014
Berg en Dal 31 December 204 - 03 January 2015

Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 7:21 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

This is a sticky one. We just arranged and paid for 2 KNP trips and a KTP trip in one year, so I have a pretty good idea of the pricing and trying to get the best value for your money.

The 2 KNP trips will be done with another older couple.

First off, don't get me started on the Wild Card and conservation fees for Internationals... :evil: We'll be getting our full value because we do 2 more trips in the same year. Why on earth we need to get an All Cluster Card (the only one available to internationals) is beyond comprehension. There is no way in this lifetime we'll be able to go to all Parks in one year. :lol: Even Europeans work on budgets and we do have to work too! The older couple? Daily Conservation fees are way cheaper. This time we'll be inside 4 nights only.

As far as accommodation goes, KNP does offer excellent value for money. Just compare different camps. The budget tents at Tamboti that we booked now, look like a really good bargain. Anything with budget attached is worth a look at. Then we started looking at the KNP trip in January 2015. It seemed simple - we camp (still the best value for money!), the older couple take a bungalow. All at Satara. Then I did some homework and guess what? Renting a Family Cottage in Mopani for example makes very little difference!

KTP is a different kettle of fish. THAT is expensive. We are combining camping and a couple of nights at Grootkolk and Kieliekrankie. We don't want to be limited to main camps only. Petrol getting there is another story altogether.

I spent hours scanning the website and talking to others about our options. It IS expensive but in comparison with what we paid in Wales last year? :lol: Still good value.

Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 8:13 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

I should just have stayed out of this thread. I got completely :evil: at the non-SA'ers moaning and complaining about the paltry conservation fee they have to pay, and having the gall to call it a "blatant tax". Yes, it is a tax... and what is wrong with that? Remember South Africans already pay an exorbitant amount of tax, and you want to enjoy it for free? Also remember that it goes for CONSERVATION of the animals and the maintenance of the parks in South Africa you like to see and visit. With the Rand as weak as it is, this is really complaining with a "bread under the arm"...

Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 8:32 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

I AM South African, Dabchick. :lol: With an official ID and passport. Whatever costs we need to pay we do without question. Read my post again - Kruger is good value. We earn euros and use the opportunity to pay for my parents. South Africans. Wild card or not - we will always go back and promote SanParks wherever we can. 8)

Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 10:00 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

I just scanned through the topic, and as Bush Baptist said, the numbers alone that people quote make for interesting reading!

I find the accounting to be a bit misleading however. OK, it is the total cost to visit the park (be it KNP or KTP) that needs to be taken into consideration. But, take two examples: That of SeanP: for the 15 night holiday for 4 people the accommodation within KNP amounts to only 39% of the total cost. In the case of Bush Baptist's trip to KTP, the accommodation amounts to 41% of the total cost of the trip. So roughly 60% of what you spend on the holiday is for fuel, car, food. How will that compare (percentage-wise) for a trip to a resort somewhere else? Given that you have to travel and eat, no matter where you have your holiday.

Just a thought.

(And just for comparison, accomodation for 7 nights during our last trip to Kruger comprised 14 % of the total cost. This was for camping, and having to tow a caravan from Stellenbosch to Kruger and back)

Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 3:03 pm 

Things are very different for a family who don’t camp in KNP, which applies to the majority of visitors.
We are visiting KNP 3 times this year and staying in a mix of huts, safari tents, bungalows and chalets. The below is for 2 adults and 3 kids.

April: 9 nights = R15 786
July: 10 nights = R21 913
October: 9 nights = R 18 635

Total 2014 nights = 28 nights

Total cost = R56 334 at an average of R2012 per night.

We live 600km from KNP and generally spend maximum R6000 per trip on fuel, food, etc (R4000 on fuel and R2000 on food), so this total for the year is around R18 000.

So for me personally the accommodation cost makes up 76% and the rest 24%.

I’m fairly certain that this would be applicable for most families (by this I mean a family of 4 or more) who don’t camp.

:hmz:

I forgot about the beer which is probably another R60 per day for me :D

Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 3:39 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
FAC Member (2012)
:hmz: So you have to save over six grand a month in after tax money.

That would mean from R8850 to R10324 per month before tax to put that away.

That is a lot of money for ordinary South Africans for a month's holiday.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 126 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next