Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 251 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next
 Post subject: Re: Elephant Attack on Vehicle
Unread postPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 9:23 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

They have had 3 weeks to concoct their story...........

How much is the truth, and how much senstionalist jounalism?
The use of the word ghouls........really? Lets grab the headlines then.

I am taking that interview with a "pinch of salt".

They know they did wrong, and they are now trying to use a sympathetic ear in the press to gain some sympathy and shift the blame.

Unread postPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 10:01 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

It will be interesting to hear from SANParks on what fellow visitors should do when they come across such an incident. My logical reasoning will be to call some-one who is allowed to handle a rifle when approaching a wild animal. Playing hero will be stupid and I would have done exactly the same as the video takers.

A friend of mine experienced something similar when their game-driving guide was dragged down by a leopard when they stopped for a rest on a bridge. It would have been in sane to help the guide and in the end it was a park official that went in to kill the leopard.

Just my comment on the actions of the occupants of the other vehicle. Like they say in Afrikaans "eerder bang Jan as dooie Jan" (rather be afraid than dead)

Unread postPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 10:18 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

A very sad incident. Especially for the animal, but also for the humans.

But at all, i think, we are not able to say who is guilty or not guilty or takes a piece of guilty.

Why take investigations in a crime scene such a long time (not these 45 minutes on tv!). Because no people will give a 100% objective report of what happened. So i think, its better to believe the statements of the officials. Other option is to believe of conspiracy.

But what makes me now irritated is, that after bashing the victims in the VW, we now discuss about the behaviour of the people in the other car. :big_eyes:

Did everyone think about emotions, panic and shocks. Do you never witnessed stupid behaviour of people in extreme situations? I witnessed a death on a bowling alley, all what the neighbours wanted, was that their game would not be disturbed.

So please be cool. And think a little bit about: Who is without sin, throws the first...

Unread postPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 12:58 pm 

Fairly typical that the Daily Mail should write a senationalist 'ranting' article like this, no doubt having paid the 'victims' handsomely for their story! They don't do truth - they do copy and sales figures. The story fits its (and its readers) simplistic view of 'wild and dangerous Africa'.

The folk appeared to be too close, had several opportunities to retreat or escape and either bungled it or were just too stupid or scared to react.

With regards to the criticism of the people filming, if I were following with my nearest and dearest in the car and just witnessed a 'raging bull' doing that, I think my first instinct would be to retreat and seek help rather than play the hero!

As ever, an animal is sacrificed to satisfy man's stupidity. The park IS crowded in the south and I guess such incidents will happen - visitors are needed to pay for the existence of the park and the wonderful wildlife in it. Just a shame that the beasties have to pay for their own survival with their own sacrifice now and again...

Last edited by Thunderbird7 on Sun Jan 26, 2014 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Unread postPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 1:38 pm 

Something that is irritating me is the assumption that the people following were paid for the footage - my first sightings of that video were via YouTube and FB - not paid sites.

Is there any evidence they did get paid for it? Because it seems if they were then SANParks would have no trouble finding them to talk to them. Even in the SANParks statement they refer to the video beiing on social media.

Unread postPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 2:16 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Thunderbird7 wrote:
Fairly typical that the Daily Mail should write a senationalist 'ranting' article like this, no doubt having paid the 'victims' handsomely for their story! They don't do truth - they do copy and sales figures. The story fits its (and its readers) simplistic view of 'wild and dangerous Africa'.

The folk appeared to be too close, had several opportunities to retreat or escape and either bungled it or were just too stupid or scared to react.

With regards to the criticism of the people filming, if I were following with my nearest and dearest in the car and just witnessed a 'raging bull' doing that, I think my first instinct would be to retreat and seek help rather than play the hero!

As ever, an animal is sacrificed to satisfy man's stupidity. The park IS crowded in the south and I guess such incidents will happen - visitors are needed to pay for the existence of the park and the wonderful wildlife in it. Just a shame that the beasties have to pay for their own survival with their own sacrifice now and again...

The Daily Mail interview is mostly quotes from the visitors who had been attacked by the elephant. Very little opinion is coming from the journalist.

Some may say they do not believe them. Others, such as me, aware that they had been receiving death threats, can understand why they wanted to put their story across.

People do not usually lie "on record" to newspapers. If they do not tell the truth, they can be sued.

People do lie to newspapers, but usually on background only and nothing that can be directly attributed to them.

Unread postPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 2:58 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Toddelelfe :thumbs_up:
Agreed, the 2 being rolled over and having sustained injuries (the woman heavily) should also be treating with
kind hearts. They made the wrong call but i can not image the horror of being trapped into a vehicle and being rolled over and attacked by a angy elephant. If it were me and would be terrified and might still have nightmares.

Hope she recovers well

Unread postPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 4:08 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

bert wrote:
Toddelelfe :thumbs_up:
Agreed, the 2 being rolled over and having sustained injuries (the woman heavily) should also be treating with
kind hearts. They made the wrong call but i can not image the horror of being trapped into a vehicle and being rolled over and attacked by a angy elephant. If it were me and would be terrified and might still have nightmares.

Hope she recovers well

Well said Bert!

Unread postPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 4:11 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Thank you Bert!
As a regular visitor and fan of Kruger, I would be having nightmares and would not be in a hurry to get anywhere near an elephant again!

Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:32 am 

Flame me or crap me out .. but here is my view .. bullpoefies!!! And then trying to put the blame, and make the people out to be villains who took the video? Then the ranger crapping them out for not helping? I'm sorry but in all my years and rangers I have met and chatted to and had beers with them their advice was always to get someone from the park to help ... we don't have the skills on the know how ... also since the "victims" are working on assumptions .. I will assume as well .. that surely they would have called a camp? I'm sure I would have. Oh wait .. I'm assuming .. so let's scrap that last part djor honor ... And a three point turn? hmm .. when did you try this? When you were up to the ellies arse? Or maybe you could have waited?

And that's all I will say ... coz this is a family forum .. but it's a free forum with each one allowed to have their own opinion .. this is mine and I'll respect yours ..

PS: Just to make sure our friends in the UK don't stress to much .. our gears are on the same side as your cars in the UK .. we also keep left and pass right and our vehicles are right hand drive.

PS PS : Since I am still human .. a mistake was made as so many level headed forumites have mentioned (thank you for reminding members like me). I do hope she recovers fully and am still glad they are alive.

Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:54 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
FAC Member (2012)
What I will concede is that various makes of car have the reverse gear in different shift positions.

But Kruger is no place to learn to drive.

When the ele moved to the left, there was ample time to gap it forwards anyway.

There must be quite a few eles that have been fighting and have maggot infested woumds in Kruger. Just give them their space.

Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:07 am 

The car was stuck in first gear - then why did they not drive away forward when the elephant was to the side? Oh of course because they panicked and shut off the engine!!! Thats plain stupid behavior in a dangerous situation. The extent of her injuries are still sad and I wish her a speedy recovery. It just seems as if they are trying to blame EVERYONE and EVERYTHING else while it was just their own stupidity that got them in the situation.

As for the Afrikaans speaking people who took the video. i previously complimented you for being brave to keep filming and to give us the true events. To just drive away is illogical and plain wrong. The elephant was far away from them. The logical thing would have been to stay with the injured people and call for help. if there was no reception then you attempt to assist as far as possible.

This is an unfortunate event and it was escalated due to the stupidity of all involved.

Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:12 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Wild@Heart wrote:
PS: Just to make sure our friends in the UK don't stress to much .. our gears are on the same side as your cars in the UK .. we also keep left and pass right and our vehicles are right hand drive.

W@H

Don't worry, no offence taken :tongue:

Mind you, I did learn to drive in SA.
And I don't really enjoy driving on the "wrong" side of the road when we go to Europe, buch prefer being on the road in SA.

As has been said above, the driver had more than 1 opportunity to find 1st, or reverse.

But irrespective of that, they were still way too close to the elephant in the first place.

Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 12:10 pm 

:thumbs_up: @ Yoda :)

Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 2:25 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

W@H,

Maybe you should have sent that cartoon to the drivers of the car :twisted:

Might have avoided this whole incident :lol:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 251 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next