Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 251 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next
 Post subject: Re: Elephant Attack on Vehicle
Unread postPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 3:27 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
FAC Member (2012)
Interesting....
The reporter could have been a kindly uncle/aunt.
Viewing the video again, they seemed to have ample time a few times to get out of the situation before the attack, especially when the ele moved left off the road, they could have easily driven away forwards. In a threatening situation, if you stall you switch back on quickly.
6 ft tusks? More like 4 ft 6 inches to me.

I am not convinced. maybe they are telling the truth as they see it. Maybe not.

Last edited by Bush Baptist on Sat Jan 25, 2014 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Unread postPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 3:43 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

They were driving too close to the elephant. They had ample time when he walked off road, to gun the car and get out of there. They did not need to reverse.

That said, she panicked and that could happen to any of us facing a six ton elephant.

I am surprised by the patience of her fiancé, because most men would want to strangle you if you put a car in first instead of reverse.

The most interesting is the elephant had an abscess with maggots, and stab wounds in his chest from fighting with other elephants. So he may have gone for anyone who happened along.

For all the incidents revealed on Gallery of Shame, it does not happen very often that an animal is euthanased after conflict with a visitor.

The game ranger was angry with the other car's occupants. They drove away without trying to help and he was correct. While one would not want to tangle with the elephant, to drive off when people could be badly injured is unforgiveable.

Unread postPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 3:47 pm 

It's interesting to read their side to the story. However, the Daily Mail will always turn any story in a sensationalist piece of trash, so it's hard to take it seriously or find the truth in it. I feel sorry for the couple as they've obviously had a very traumatic experience. But even if 'heavily edited', the video makes it clear that they had sufficient time to avoid this incident.

And yes, the morals of the 'video takers' are in question as they fled the scene. But honestly, if you had just witnessed that incident, would you stick around? Or try and find help (assuming that's what they did)?

Unread postPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 4:37 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

redlomo wrote:
It's interesting to read their side to the story. However, the Daily Mail will always turn any story in a sensationalist piece of trash, so it's hard to take it seriously or find the truth in it. I feel sorry for the couple as they've obviously had a very traumatic experience. But even if 'heavily edited', the video makes it clear that they had sufficient time to avoid this incident.

And yes, the morals of the 'video takers' are in question as they fled the scene. But honestly, if you had just witnessed that incident, would you stick around? Or try and find help (assuming that's what they did)?

I do not think they did try and find help no. But even so, the right thing to do is wait for the elephant to leave, see to the occupants of the car and stay with them until help came.

Unread postPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 4:44 pm 

People are emotional and post nasty comments before knowing what happened
they told their side of the story and makes sense what they saying.thats the first thing that crossed my mind how can someone drive away from that situation imagine they didn't get help or cellphone reception.i dont think anyone in their tight mind would want to get so close to an elephant bull
just my thoughts

To see many of my KNP pictures and tales, visit my Facebook page at :
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Safraaz- ... 1744385395

Unread postPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 5:10 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

If these people just drove off, how come they were there with the ranger, but he didn't want to see their video and questioned why they drove off. How did the injured party talk to them as she was flown away from the scene and then in an ambulance to hospital. Perhaps they went for help, thinking quicker they could get help the better it would be.

Unread postPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 5:37 pm 

The other thing that strikes me clearly here also is, if this couple had video footage that exonerated their behaviour and it had been verified by a SANPArks ranger, then - I have no doubt - SANParks would have issued a statement to that effect. SANParks has taken a lot of flak over the decision to shoot this elephant and if they had definitive footage that this was an unprovoked attack then surely we would know about it by now and they wouldn't be seeking verbal statements from the people in the car behind!

Unread postPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 5:45 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Robert, It says in the interview, that the people with the video went to see the injured woman in hospital and that she begged them not to release the video and to give it to Sanparks. Apparently, a woman involved with the filming, was already offering it to the media for payment.

The victims of the elephant attack also state quite clearly that the film makers left them as he, the South African, having grown up beside the Kruger, was concerned at what could happen if they were there after dark with the windscreen smashed.

The bottom line is they were too close, the driver was completely inexperienced re African wildlife, in a strange car so put the car into first by mistake and then stalled it and the elephant was already unhappy due to abscess and a fight.

It was an unfortunate combination of events.

Unread postPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 5:47 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

It does say Jan's grew up close to Kruger and he knew Kruger and knew the road they were on was seldom used etc. he knows all this, but doesn't know she is too close to an Ellie who gave plenty of warning.

Unread postPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 6:35 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

RobertT wrote:
It does say Jan's grew up close to Kruger and he knew Kruger and knew the road they were on was seldom used etc. he knows all this, but doesn't know she is too close to an Ellie who gave plenty of warning.

Totally agree Robert. If I self drive I will keep my distance from elephants.

Unread postPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 6:45 pm 

To me, the bottom line is now clear: a disgrace. Not for the drivers, rangers or elephant but for those people that sold their movie but did not assist the victims of a serious accident.

Perhaps better show a movie at the gates to all visitors, foreign tourists and South Africans alike, about one's duty to help human beings whose life is in danger.

Unread postPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 7:07 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Humans are so fickle!
After seeing the original video everybody slammed these British tourists for their stupidity!

I warned that this was not fair till we had heard from the tourists themselves...

Now we have the "British" view, people are slamming the stupid South Africans for being so heartless and greedy!

May I warn again that this is not fair till we have heard from Ben and company themselves... they could have raced off to Skukuza for help, fearing an attack on themselves...

Finally: A few years ago I took a school bus to Namibia and ended up with a 1.6m cobra in the engine. Die Burger phoned for the details, and I would rate their version 75% accurate, and 25% JOURNALISTIC LICENCE!

Please don't base any serious evaluation on a newspaper report!

So until we have BOTH SIDES OF THE STORY, lets learn from their mistakes, but not judge in ignorance!

God bless,

Friedrich von Hörsten

Unread postPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 7:21 pm 

Mail Online sensationalism:

" Savaged by an elephant"
"Going for the kill"
"The beast continues its attack on the car"
"Flinging the car 40 metres" Really??
"She`d be the mother of my children" etc, etc.

Unread postPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 8:28 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

It is a real pity what happened to the tourists :( and I wish her a speedy recovery.....but that elephant was provoked and did only what is within it's behaviour to do.

As for the other visitors who shot the video-I cannot judge them as I have not been put in a similar situation, and neither should anyone else. When the human brain is faced with fear we react in ways that might not seem "humane" but which is actually completely rational.

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit." Aristotle

Unread postPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 9:15 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

First off, we do not know how many times she actually tried to put the car into reverse and got "stuck" in 1st gear...she may have been trying to back up when we are, I think, in agreement that she had time. We would only know if she succeeded in getting into reverse, which did not happen.

I am curious to know who made the phone call to SANParks about the incident?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 251 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next