Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 212 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
 Post subject: Re: New Franchises for Restaurants from 1 December.
Unread postPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 2:21 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Yes, Elsa, I see your point regarding Punda Maria. And, I agree each restaurant can have a bad day - they just all need to be kept on their toes.

Marakele (Motswere Guest Cottage) 29 Mar -1 Apr 2015

KTP May 2015

Unread postPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 4:27 pm 

Hi All,
Just returned from SA, so I thought I would give you an early report of our experiences in the camp restaurants.

Skukuza - didn't use the restaurant, but my wife went to the cafeteria, which used to have a nice bakery under the Wooden Banana flag. Unfortunately that has now gone, so ate our own food in stead.

Olifants - M&B - the restaurant has taken on a new lease of life. Had breakfast on the way up the park and dinner when we stayed in the camp, no complaints. Food very good and all the staff were very courteous and friendly - a big change from last year when everything seemed too much trouble.

Letaba - M&B - dinner - had an excellent meal, which is always helped by the setting.

Mopani - Tindlovu - stopped off for breakfast and can only say it was a disaster. The food was cold and the rasher of bacon must have come from a very small pig. My cutlery was covered in egg from the previous user and when I came to use the jam it had already been opened and half used. My wife complained and the chef came out and apologised, but I am sure it was the same chef who came and apologised last year when we complained about the food being cold. Last year they said it was because it was a long walk from the kitchen, but they don't seem to grasp that hot food should be put onto hot plates. Stayed 3 nights later on the trip, but avoided the restaurant.

[P.S. Hi Hippotragus - it was probably me you referred to earlier re. our meeting at the Olifants river viewing point.]

Shingwedzi - Tindlovu - Had dinner and it was good, but the menu could do a change - why no fish course? Also had breakfast later on the trip and no complaints - staff friendly.

Punda Maria - Tindlovu - arrived at 13:00 hrs and after checking in went for breakfast. Breakfast menu only runs until 11:00 hrs? However the chef said we could choose from the breakfast menu if we wanted to. No complaints about food or staff. Decided not to use restaurant for dinner due to uninspiring menu.

Satara - M&B AND Debonaire's - had a lunchtime pizza and surprisingly very good (I am not a pizza fan). Went for dinner and just as we were about to order - power cut. Nothing could be served except grills and salads. Must have lit some candles in the kitchen. Had salads and very good. Perhaps they need a gas oven for similar emergencies as we had several cuts in power supply whilst in the park.

Lower Sabie - M&B - called for breakfast and very good.

Berg-en-Dal - Tindlovu - didn't use.

In the camps where M&B are running the restaurants there seems to have been a big improvement on what they have been like for the past few years, but still think they need a change to their menu, which is exactly the same as in all the M&B's in SA. The only fish course available is fishcakes.
As for the Tindlovu restaurants - some staff training and menu change is needed before they can get back what they were like 10 to 15 years ago, when in the evenings the restaurants used to be well attended.

The only way things change is if you not satisfied with the food or service is to complain. We will see if Mopani has improved next year.

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to you all. (It will be our first in the UK for 8 years.)

Unread postPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 5:35 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Hi bondm! I just couldn't quite remember your alias (thought it had "bond" in it).

Thank you for taking the trouble to make your comments on the restaurants.

Overall there seems to have been a great improvement with the introduction of the M&Bs. With a little more training and improved menus, the Tindlovo restaurants that have problems at the moment will be improved.

Happy Christmas and a peaceful New Year to you. Maybe we'll bump into each other again in Kruger next year!

Marakele (Motswere Guest Cottage) 29 Mar -1 Apr 2015

KTP May 2015

Unread postPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 12:08 pm 

Greetings... :mrgreen:

I agree 100% that the M&B are and have been great since they were introduced, and certainly does allow for choice and tasty food.... BUUUUUTTTTT......

NOTHING BEATS A BREKKIES BEING COOKED AT ONE OF THE PICNIC SPOTS.... :dance: :dance: :dance:

Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 8:52 pm 

Review of my experiences at Mugg and Bean over the last week.

Satara , used the quick option of just getting muffin and hot chocolate . 15 minutes with only one person in front of me. Person assisting was not very helpful and difficult to communicate with. rating 4 out of 10.

Lower Sabie . Had a breakfast. Food and service quick but quality was sadly lacking compared to my last visit in September. still a great setting. 5 out of 10 rating.

Olifants. Great setting , must be best view in the park . Food took a while , but was worth the wait. Rating 9 out of 10. (was very hot outside. , they should consider putting in the fine mist spray devices)

Still believe the introduction of the franchises is a 1000% improvement of what was there before.

Unread postPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 9:59 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

catman, thanks for latest feedback on restaurants.

Leana

Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 8:07 am 

Not sure if this is the correct forum but don't know where else to post my question.
I am a diabetic so cannot eat muffins or pizzas, or any bread rolls or pitta for that matter. Does M&B or Wimpy have any quick options?
:popcorn:

Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 8:15 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Best option is to google their websites where you can see their menus.....and even ask questions if you need to. They offer the same menus in the park.

Have you read the entrance permit? Do you KNOW the Conditions of Entry?

Completed over 5 years in Kruger in my caravan.

If I was normal I wouldn't be me!

Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 8:20 am 

Brilliant idea - thank you.

Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 9:42 pm 

I noticed that at Mopani a 'boma braai' is offered. Has somebody tried that already?

Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 10:11 pm 

As its a new activity I'm not sure if its the same as the Bush braai's already offered by many of the camps,
but if so you can read about them Here

Kruger - 12th Feb - 20th Feb.

Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 5:59 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

BnD used to do a boma braai.....It is a braai in camp at a big boma area and really just a different option from a restaurant meal. Suspect Mopani may use the day visitor area for this.

Have you read the entrance permit? Do you KNOW the Conditions of Entry?

Completed over 5 years in Kruger in my caravan.

If I was normal I wouldn't be me!

Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 9:13 am 

I am now confused (and that happens easily :? ) - is there a Mugg & Bean at Mopani, or only a Tindlovo?

Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 9:17 am 

deeds wrote:
only a Tindlovo
:thumbs_up: (at Mopani)

Tindlovo are in the camps that do conferences as they cater for these.

Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 11:07 pm 

Thank you.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 212 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next