Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 226 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 16  Next
 Post subject: Re: New Franchises for Restaurants from 1 December.
Unread postPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 12:30 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

They sell Boerierolls and Pap and sheba at all the camps where the restaurants are closed. Also coffee and tea.

Shops are well-stocked as long as you remember you are in a Park - they don't have the means to provide fresh and large choice in meat. If you keep that in mind, you will find a good piece of steak, wors, sosasties and lamb to braai.

We chose for Skottelbrekkies instead of fast food again, for the first time in many years. Loved it and was surprised to see a skottel still only costs R19. A bargain if you don't have to worry about cleaning and refilling.

All picnic spots we stopped at had a boiling kettle on somewhere for coffee and tea.

Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:38 am 

We are currently travelling in the park, and I received this email:

Quote:
Dear Guest

Due to the extent of the refurbishments of the restaurants in the Kruger National Park, SANParks hereby informs you as potentially affected visitor that the initial dates communicated for the opening of the restaurants in the Lower Sabie, Pretoriuskop, Satara, Olifants and Letaba Camps will not be met and is therefore extended.

Final dates when operations are expected to recommence will be communicated in due course.

SANParks appeals to visitors to be patient with this process as the end result will ultimately lead to a much improved dining experience in the Kruger National Park.

Please note that the shops will be open as usual.

Regards

TOURISM SERVICES
SOUTH AFRICAN NATIONAL PARKS

A roaring lion does not catch any prey - African Proverb

Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 2:56 pm 

Lesego wrote:
Restaurant closures in the Kruger National Park

Date: 5th March 2014

As you might be aware SANParks, in an effort to improve customer service in the Kruger National Park, is in the process of setting up new restaurant operations at various camps. Major improvements have started and should result in superior product offerings to our customers. It should however be noted that there have been some changes and delays to the initial schedule, mainly as a result of the larger extent of refurbishment to what was expected. A revised schedule is outlined below.

We apologise for the inconvenience that this may cause and will gladly assist in amending current bookings should these closures cause any difficulty. Please contact us via email at reservations@sanparks.org or telephone +27(0)12 428 9111.

*Lower Sabie:
Planned opening date: Between 13 and 20 March 2014.

*Satara:
Planned opening date: Between 14 and 21 April 2014.
It should be noted that a ‘Bush Kitchen / Boskombuis” which will offer a limited menu and limited seating capacity will be operational in the Day Visitors area during refurbishment.

*Pretoriuskop:
Planned opening date: Between 10 and 17 April 2014.
Apart from boerewors rolls, pap and wors offered at the shop, no alternative dining options will be available until the opening date.

*Olifants:
The Olifants restaurant is still operational under management of the previous operator and details related to its closure will be communicated in due course but refurbishment will in all likelihood commence on 23 April 2014 (following the opening of the Satara restaurant).

*Letaba:
The Letaba restaurant is still operational under management of the previous operator and details related to its closure will be communicated in due course but refurbishment will in all likelihood commence on 23 April 2014 (following the opening of the Satara restaurant).

*Skukuza Main Restaurant and Take Away Section:
The Skukuza Main restaurant is still operational under management of the previous operator. Major refurbishment is scheduled to take place from the end of July 2014 until the end of September 2014. An alternative dining offering for Skukuza during the refurbishment is anticipated but will be confirmed closer to the time.

A roaring lion does not catch any prey - African Proverb

Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 3:38 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Mugg & Bean - Lower Sabie, Olifants & Letaba

Wimpy - Satara & Pretoriouskop

Cattle Baron - Skukuza

Selati - Ciao (if it ever re-opens)

Ast binman bin mam?
Lancashire dialect

Ready for the next Cricket Weekend!

New Year trip 2014-2015 booked.

Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 5:30 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

As I mentioned above Berg en dal is (or will be) run by same group as Mopani. Excellent food was available in February.

Shingwedzi and Punda currently under a very good manager - used to run Selati - and providing very good food. But their long term solution is quite unknown. Certainly the staff have not got a clue.

Olifants shut early while I was there - but apparently still open? But why would anyone shut Olifants and Letaba at the same time?

And the situation with the Selati is tragic for the staff and those of us who thought it used to be excellent.

A shambles!

Richard

Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 2:24 pm 

Have anyone seen the new Mugg and Bean at Lower Sabie. If not, someone has uploaded the pics on Facebook.

What do you think? Did you notice the Kruger specific bush Menu as opposed to the normal M & G Menu?

My opinion; it looks pretty good. I could have done without the massive “M & G” and the star on the brick work. I think that is maybe a step too far, a little too much bling for Kruger. Otherwise, they cleaned it up nicely and it looks good.

Talamati 7 & 8 Sept
Tamboti 9 Sept
Satara 10 & 11 Sept
Pretoriuskop 12 Sept

Last edited by Leaping Lizards on Thu Mar 13, 2014 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:19 pm 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
Impisi08 wrote:
Quote:
The Letaba restaurant is still operational under management of the previous operator and details related to its closure will be communicated in due course but refurbishment will in all likelihood commence on 23 April 2014 (following the opening of the Satara restaurant).

I don't know how many weeks it take for the refurbishment but I would like to know if the Letaba restaurant is open in the first week of June. Thanks for your help.

(I asked reservations@sanparks.org and received the media release as answer. That didn't help much.)

They are due to start work April 23rd, so depending on how well it goes, you may just be lucky.....but no promises. :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:35 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Location: Lost somewhere in the travel tales,and don't want to be found
I stopped at Satara on 21 March 2014 to check on the progress of the restaurant for those of you who may be interested. This is the state of play at the moment:

Inside

Then the Bush Kitchen

I did not eat there , so cannot comment on that.
Hope that will help some of you :D :D

28 July - 2 August - Maroela ( armed with Amarula)
3 August - 7 August - Crocodile Bribge

Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:45 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Isinkwe thank you for showing us the Satara Boskombuis :D

Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 5:59 pm 

Lesego wrote:
Restaurant closures in the Kruger National Park

Date: 5th March 2014

As you might be aware SANParks, in an effort to improve customer service in the Kruger National Park, is in the process of setting up new restaurant operations at various camps. Major improvements have started and should result in superior product offerings to our customers. It should however be noted that there have been some changes and delays to the initial schedule, mainly as a result of the larger extent of refurbishment to what was expected. A revised schedule is outlined below.

We apologise for the inconvenience that this may cause and will gladly assist in amending current bookings should these closures cause any difficulty. Please contact us via email at reservations@sanparks.org or telephone +27(0)12 428 9111.

*Lower Sabie:
Planned opening date: Between 13 and 20 March 2014.

*Satara:
It should be noted that a ‘Bush Kitchen / Boskombuis” which will offer a limited menu and limited seating capacity will be operational in the Day Visitors area during refurbishment.

*Pretoriuskop:
Planned opening date: Between 10 and 17 April 2014.
Apart from boerewors rolls, pap and wors offered at the shop, no alternative dining options will be available until the opening date.

*Olifants:
The Olifants restaurant is still operational under management of the previous operator and details related to its closure will be communicated in due course but refurbishment will in all likelihood commence on 23 April 2014 (following the opening of the Satara restaurant).

*Letaba:

*Skukuza Main Restaurant and Take Away Section:
The Skukuza Main restaurant is still operational under management of the previous operator. Major refurbishment is scheduled to take place from the end of July 2014 until the end of September 2014. An alternative dining offering for Skukuza during the refurbishment is anticipated but will be confirmed closer to the time.

Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 6:11 pm 

We ate at M&B in LS a couple of days after it opened this March and it was fabulous! The staff were still learning the menu and (apparently?) new service standards from a manager that was assisting them, but they were so pleasant. They also had no problem with people simply watching the action taking place in the river.

Ironically, we enjoyed our meal and iced coffee drinks so much we ordered the exact same thing in the Jo'Burg airport heading home and it didn't even come close in quality. Could hardly believe it was the same order.

Way to go M&B Lower Sabie!

Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 10:21 pm 

Very good news and thanks for the feedback justvisiting.

Post subject: Re: Restaurants
Unread postPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 2:39 pm 

Mopani is open - it didn't close as the original management was given the right to carry on.

The latest we have on Olifants and Satara can be found here

Quote:
Satara:

Olifants:

And yes there are braai facilities in all units throughout the park.

Post subject: Re: Restaurants
Unread postPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:11 pm 

saraf wrote:
As I understand it:

Satara - Wimpy
Olifants - Mugg & Bean
Mopani - The company that runs the Conference Centre
Letaba - Mugg & Bean

Thank you, saraf. I like Mugg & Bean so pleased about that. Wimpy, not so much - at least not for "regular" eating. In summer I eat in restaurants a lot. Too hot to braai some nights (yes, I know I am an unpatriotic heretic). Winter I like to braai.

KNP Lower Sabie 25 April to 3 May 2015

Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 5:49 pm 

That's what I thought too, but according to latest sightings Kruger page on Facebook it is M&B and Debonairs, as I say not sure how reliable that source is!

Thank you for the kind welcome! I have been perusing the forums for some time!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 226 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 16  Next