Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 437 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 30  Next
 Post subject: Re: New Franchises for Restaurants from 1 December.
Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:44 am 

Thanx Lesego.

Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:44 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger
Award: Newcomer of the Year (2013)
Thank you Lesego :gflower:

Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 12:50 pm 

All I can say is see it unspoilt while you can. Im glad I will be there in December this year.

Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 1:52 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

ecojunkie wrote:
Thanks for the comprehensive response Lesego.

When will we know about the remaining camps? I am particularly keen to know what is happening at BnD (for selfish reasons of course!).

I agree. I especially would like to know about Shingwedzi and Punda. Three out of four visits we go north to one or both these camps, and being lazy by nature, would love to make use of a good restaurant like M&B :thumbs_up: -- sommer every night :lol:

Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 2:33 pm 

sandy1 wrote:
I hear the new restaurants are not opening until March 2014, we are due to visit Kruger on 15 February for 5 nights from the UK so will need to use restaurants at times along side limited self catering, a bit worried what the closing restaurants are going to be like at that time as it will be their last couple of weeks. :hmz:

Sandy,

There has been a lot of negotiation between SANParks and the old and new providers, which is why we had to wait so long between the decision being made and the revealing of the new franchises. This was so that all the issues could be ironed out to produce a smooth transition. I can't promise it's all going to be well but a lot of effort has gone into getting the best possible service from both sides.

Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 3:10 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

ecojunkie wrote:
Thanks for the comprehensive response Lesego.

When will we know about the remaining camps? I am particularly keen to know what is happening at BnD (for selfish reasons of course!).

B&D will be run by Select Events and Venues, which is not a franchise brand. This is due to the fact that they will also be running the conference facilities. Implementation is 1 December.

Shingwedzi and Punda Maria have not been awarded due to the fact that there were no applications. Not sure how this will be managed in the future.

Want to know more about the SANParks Honorary Rangers? Visit www.sanparkshr.org

One positive deed is worth more than a thousand critical words.

Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 3:47 pm 
Award: Travel Tale of the Year for KNP (2013)
I don't know if this information has been posted already, got this from the following website:

http://travel.howzit.msn.com/the-commer ... -of-kruger

Quote:
Restaurant chains Wimpy, Mugg & Bean, and Cattle Baron have all won the right to open up shop within the wildlife sanctuary, with March 2014 earmarked as the start of a new era.

While the decision to revamp the park's food offering is the right one, as for too long the service and quality of food has not been up to scratch, bringing in franchises is likely to conspire to ruin the 'bush feel'. Shopping mall atmosphere, anyone?

Execution is going to be the key to the success of this move, as intrusive music, massive signage, and long queues could well dampen the mood of faithful park visitors and foreign tourists alike. The last thing the Kruger Park can afford to do is alienate the loyal.

Those loyal visitors have already had their say on social network Facebook, with some welcoming the decision and others lamenting the route South African National Parks is taking.

One such visitor, who falls in the latter group, wrote on Latest Sightings - Kruger's page: 'I feel the KNP is a WILDlife destination... opening local restaurants will take away that feeling!!' to which another user replied: 'Anything is better than the food one buys in the Kruger’.

While it is impossible to please everyone, it is going to be interesting to see how the whole process of refurbishment plays out, and whether it is going to have any impact on those visiting the park in the months to come?

Right now it is simply a case of 'wait and see', but here's to a new era anyway, Kruger. I really just hope you do it the right way...

Full List Of New Restaurants In Restcamps:

Wimpy

Pretoriuskop
Satara

Mugg & Bean

Lower Sabie
Olifants
Letaba

Cattle Baron

Skukuza

7+8 March cricket @ Skuks

25+26 April Skuks

12 Jul Tambotie
13-15 Jul Punda
16-19 Jul Tsendze

Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 4:04 pm 

Thanks for the Feedback Lesego.

.........All operators have subscribed to many environmental friendly initiatives which could be far reaching in terms of looking after the environment. They include and are not limited to preferred pest control chemicals, prohibited chemical substances, subscribing to the pest management plan, recycling, use of biodegradable packaging, optimal water use and limiting litter.

How is this going to be monitored and managed. How do we know that these are bio-friendly? Will we have to wait for the length of the contract before we can get rid of offending franchises? The problem is that everyone nods their heads in the right places at sale time to get the deal but it is normally very poorly managed and often abused thereafter.

Will these 'restaurants' be seated only or will they also have 'take-aways? It is a well known phenomenon, that fast food brings with it an inordinate amount of litter, a problem that plagues our country.

Seating only is ok but 'take-aways' will be a nightmare.

Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 4:45 pm 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
It hopefully won't be any different than it is at the moment, Mark.
All the restaurants currently offer take away facilities, for those who don't wish to sit and eat. :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 4:56 pm 
Award: Quiz Whiz of the Year (2013)
Award: Musketeer of the Year, Quiz Whiz of the Year (2012)
Thanks IB, Lesego. :thumbs_up:

We can only wait and see how things will pan out, and hopefully how glitches are improved during operation. Knowing the South-African taste culture, I'm sure very many people will welcome having this type of familiar food around. You cannot please everyone, but I suspect that the majority will fall in without a murmur.

TR: PRIMEVAL PLEASURE

"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." (Groucho Marx)

Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 7:12 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Imberbe wrote:
Shingwedzi and Punda Maria have not been awarded due to the fact that there were no applications. Not sure how this will be managed in the future.

Obviously to far out of reach and not viable for any contractor!!
Park split in two or rather as we move further north we become
more simplistic in demand?!

Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 7:23 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Much credit due to Sanparks for acknowledging failure in the

restaurateur/restaurant debacle from the past!! This needed
24/7 attention, for.... "love goes through the tummy",...

Unread postPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 12:25 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2012)
Just to go back to the Restuarants that will be coming to KNP. as a franchise they have to keep to very high standards otherwise they are closed up .. or given further training .
So there can be no slacking.
To just mention When I ran a B&B I had the son of the owner of the M&B staying as there had been complaints about a M&B in our area. He went in and took over the running and retrained all the staff to the M&B very high standard . it took about 6 weeks . So I am sure the KNP ones will be monitered very strictly .. Plus I am sure they will be very popular . I know they used the local folk for the one near us .. and these folk had had no previous experience and were taught from scratch
Today that M&B is going from strength to strength and I hope the KNP ones will do the same .

Unread postPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 12:31 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
I agree Hugh, these places have got reputations to uphold, so they will make sure that their standards are kept high :dance:

KNP 2- 16 May 2014

Unread postPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 1:25 pm 

geoff_jungle wrote:
What will probably happen in the Park is you'll end up with an inexperienced second rate operater who will have to take short cuts in order to try and survive in an unprofitable market.
As has been said in the above posts, this won't be allowed to happen by virtue of the very strict code of conduct and rules they have to adhere to when they get the franchise.
So lets give it a try and try and remain as positive as possible. :thumbs_up:

Kruger - May 24th - June 6th 2014.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 437 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 30  Next