Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 226 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 16  Next
 Post subject: Re: New Franchises for Restaurants from 1 December.
Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 7:12 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Imberbe wrote:
Shingwedzi and Punda Maria have not been awarded due to the fact that there were no applications. Not sure how this will be managed in the future.

Obviously to far out of reach and not viable for any contractor!!
Park split in two or rather as we move further north we become
more simplistic in demand?!

Unread postPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 1:25 pm 

geoff_jungle wrote:
What will probably happen in the Park is you'll end up with an inexperienced second rate operater who will have to take short cuts in order to try and survive in an unprofitable market.
As has been said in the above posts, this won't be allowed to happen by virtue of the very strict code of conduct and rules they have to adhere to when they get the franchise.
So lets give it a try and try and remain as positive as possible. :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 1:35 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Award: Sighting of the Year - Small creatures and/or insects (2012)
When we first came to Kruger we ate all our meals at camp restaurants. As time passed we began to self cater more but it was when the food and service became so bad, not to mention the same menu everywhere, that we began almost total self catering. As this topic has been debated on the forum for quite some time, it is quite obvious that most other people are doing the same thing..even all of us who have to fly in and bring much more with us to cater. So, if the food standards improve, so will the footfall I am certain. As Hugh has confirmed, these brands need to maintain standards; if they fail to do so, not only will the camp restaurants fail but so will their global reputations and I just cannot believe these companies would allow that to happen. Another point is that if they are successful in the Park, then it will bring more employment to the local people and surely that can only be a good thing.

Unread postPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 2:03 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Mopani is already being run by the conference folk (who are apparently also going to do BnD).

Have you read the gate leaflet? Do you KNOW the regulations?

Completed over 5 years in Kruger in my caravan.

If I were normal I wouldn't be me!

Unread postPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 10:48 pm 

I too miss the old days, eating at the old style restaurants with their delicious meals, friendly service and real Kruger atmosphere and of course, the drum call at meal times.

Having said that.......I am really excited about all the new restaurants opening up. :dance: :dance: I travel alone and spend most of my day out of camp, so it will be a real treat to, once again, have a decent affordable meal available on the nights I don't feel like cooking..........which will definitely be more often now. :D :D

Well done Sanparks!

LOWER SABIE - 30th Sept.& 1st/2nd Oct.
OLIFANTS - 3rd/4th Oct.
SATARA - 5th/6th Oct.
SKUKUZA - 7th/8th Oct.
BERG EN DAL - 9th Oct.

Last edited by Mauxie on Sun Nov 03, 2013 7:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Unread postPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 12:20 am 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Another point is that each venue has been awarded separately. So if one restaurant fails to maintain the standards that restaurant may be penalised or even closed and replaced with another operator. Previously one large multi-national ran all the restaurants and very little could be done to address problems if they were not interested.

Want to know more about the SANParks Honorary Rangers? Visit www.sanparkshr.org

One positive deed is worth more than a thousand critical words.

Unread postPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 12:31 pm 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
I'm still dreaming about that Mugg & Bean Chicken and Avo Wrap at Letaba, while looking out over the river bed..............roll on March!!!! :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up:

As Carol said, all camps currently have a restaurant, so the buildings are already there.
Whether it's a Wooden Banana, a Wimpy, a Mugg & Bean or a Cattle Baron, should make no difference, other than the food will be better than is currently being offered!!!

Each franchise will have it's own indoor décor, menus etc, but it is my understanding that the outside areas have to be in keeping with the park, so there will be no flashing neon signs!!!!

This a done deal, so no amount of negativity will alter things.

Please lets give them a chance, and if people really object to these changes, they have the option to stay away. :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 7:41 am 

Koen wrote:
Obviously talking about the "Park" not the camps or facilities Weltman. The only hand that has crafted that has been mother nature.

Since the restaurants will be inside the camps, using existing facilities and they've already stated that the restaurants won't be allowed to erect large neon signs that are visible from far away, the "Park" will remain exactly as it is currently, not so?

I really don't think anything will change. The new restaurants will replace the old ones, so no new development. They won't be allowed to erect neon signs that affect the ambiance of the camps. New takeaways won't cause more litter than the existing takeaways. No one is going to enter the park and speed to Satara just to eat at the Wimpy. The food is no more "nontraditional" than the burgers and pizzas currently being served.

So it isn't gourmet restaurants - frankly, I can eat at a gourmet restaurant any day of the week in Pretoria. That isn't why I go to the Kruger. In Kruger I want a restaurant where I can walk in with shorts and flip-flops, get a descent, but not necessarily fancy meal and perhaps a cold glass of wine, and be entertained by starlings and horn-bills who are trying (in vain) to get me to feed them while I eat. 8)

Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 12:57 pm 

Dabchick wrote:
I never understand H. e.'s posts, but I think this time he is referring to Punda, Shingwedzi & Mopani (these camp names have been left out of the quote) seemingly being "neglected" -- by not getting new restaurants....

Dabchick, Mopani doesn't need to change, it already has a newish contractor and the food is excellent, plus the feeling seems to be that Punda is also not too bad currently.
Shingwedzi was most likely still closed and under repairs when the tenders went out so if no one tendered for it at the time then that might explain why, but I'm sure it will be rectified soon. :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 6:37 pm 

As old Abe Lincoln said "You can please some of the people some of the time. You can please most of the people most of the time. But, you can't please all of the people all of the time!" So please let's wait and see what the new franchises are going to dish up.

Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 6:52 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

I know I don't visit nearly as often as most mites, and not nearly as often as I want to, but my perspective is that we should give these franchises a chance. What I want is something good, hot, clean, and prompt. A nice SA beer to go along with lunch is a bonus. :thumbs_up:

I love to try local foods when I travel, but honestly I'm going to KNP for KNP and not the KNP restaurants.

Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:01 pm 
Award: Travel Tale of the Year for KNP (2013)
Yes I totally agree, and if I want south African food I gooi a few kole on the braaier and take out a lekker piece of wors :w: isn't the South African way to braai? :hmz: so if I'm lazy and want to buy food, I have to order whatever is on the menu and if I want to feel some African mood then I lit a fire and open and pour an ice cold Amarula over ice. It is always my choice... The same with you guys, you don't like the restaurants then don't support them. I do prefer hoender sosaties and wors over take away any day :thumbs_up:

12 Jul Tambotie
13 Jul Sable Hide
14+15 Jul Punda
16-19 Jul Tsendze

Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:22 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
WildThing wrote:
To all the people complaining about the Wimpey and M & B - have you seen the menus that they will be offering in the KNP ? How do you know that it is going to be exactly the same as what is on offer at the big malls, etc. For all we know they could be offering traditional South African food. Lets at least give them a chance to start operating and see what they have to offer.

Well said WildThing :clap: :clap: :clap:

Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 7:17 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Really doubt they will be changing the menu's, these are franchises, so what you get in 1 you get in all.
It is how their recipe works and how they manage to keep costs down.
Am not sure the other branches of Wimpy/ M&B would be happy if one franchise gets preferential treatment over another.

I am happy they are here, the quality of food has been poor for ages.
I just want a quick meal at a reasonable price when I need it, most of time I self cater.
The traffic should be no more than is current, a vehicle services the existing restaurant and a vehicle will service these.
Littering is a people problem not a restaurant/ take away problem.
I have always seen enough bins in camps.

Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:05 am 

Okay maybe I shouldn’t have, but I couldn’t resist :think:

I got the following of Mugg & Bean’s website relating to Franchising
(Mods, please remove if inappropriate)

http://www.themugg.com/franchising.php#18

Do I have to purchase my product supplies from specified suppliers?
Certain licensed products are compulsory from specified suppliers.

What control do I have over my menu?
The concept of Mugg & Bean and its specialty items allows no discretion to franchisees in determining the menu for a restaurant.
Menus are updated at least twice per annum and menu items are reviewed and prices re-evaluated by the Mugg & Bean brand team prior to new menu implementation.

As per earlier post, there is no point in speculating weather they will alter the menu for Kruger or not
(I’m keeping my fingers crossed that they don’t change a thing)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 226 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 16  Next