Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: When was your first visit to the Kruger National Park?
Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:24 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Remember it was in the late 1950's going with my parents.
Can recall the communal kitchen in Skukuza had a big black wood stove on which to cook, there was a huge type of urn where they made wood fires to boil water. Saw a similar one at Nkuhlu picinic spot not in use and rusty but made me remember of those days.
Hyenas were regular visitors in the camp during the nights and bins were knocked over.
Can also recall during the summer months you could not overnight further north than Letaba. We could drive to Shingwetzi though during the day. There were no fridges or aircons in the huts we stayed in. Remember the folks had to pay a small fee for bedding for the night. With no fridges we used condensed milk in our tea and coffee this was a treat as children. No margarine in those days and the butter just melted and went into a oily mess. :roll: Thinking back I may be wrong but seem to recall something about if you ate in the restaurant during the evenings the men had to wear a jacket and tie...maybe one of the mites could confirm for me. :hmz: The Skukuza restaurant was where I had my first lesson in being taught the etiquette of which knife, fork spoon to use when dinning out. :wink:
*sigh* those were the days...things have changed with the year some for the better.
What a special place is Kruger. :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:59 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Around 1965.

I remember, a decade later, during the October school holidays, being left to sit in the caravan and study for my matric exams while the rest of the family went out driving. Can't say that my concentration was much good.

Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:25 am 

I have been going to the Kruger every year since I was a baby.. I can't remember my first visit at all! I just have stories my parents and grandparents have told me about me and my brothers swimming in cooler boxes and having to change nappies in the car! :?
They have also told me a story of getting out at a get out point and they were looking at warthogs in the distant, I kept on saying "Piggy, piggy" and my mom would say "yes we see the piggy's" when finally I said "Mommy piggy bump me" and there was a warthog busy bumping me and no one had noticed. :tongue: Haha.. I love the park and growing up going to the park every year has wonderful memories! :cam: Would not swap it for anything in the world! :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:44 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Location: Lost somewhere in the travel tales,and don't want to be found
First time 1968, only thing I remember as a youngster on the first trip was diving from the back of the station wagon, missing the middle seat completely and wrapping myself around my dads ankles and maybe the brake pedal when a baboon jumped onto the car :lol: :lol:
Have visited at least twice a year since then, and I still can't get enough :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 1:59 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
FAC Member (2012)
We arrived in SA in 1956, and pretty soon, my dad, who sold woodworking machinery to sawmills, found out about Kruger. We went a few times in those early years before moving to Cape Town.

Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 7:57 pm 

I was introduced to"The Kruger" in 2009 by some saffie friends. A quick day trip ,entered in Phabeni gate , exited Croc Bridge. It was so amazing and memorable that I travelled back this year in July/August for 10 days with my family who are all now very keen to return :D :D

Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 7:53 am 

April 1985 as a 20 day old...

Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 8:04 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

So long ago that I can no longer remember :hmz:

I am a free spirit...Either admire me from the ground. Or fly with me...But don't ever try to cage me.

Day visitor to the south 4-10 October 2014

Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:02 am 

When we retired in 1987, we kept our flat in Durban, bought a big caravan and toured the country.
Summers mainly in the Cape, and long-long winter trips to Kruger, entering in the south and going all the way to Punda Maria, where we made a U turn and retraced our steps back to Malelane. Phabeni was not yet open.
In those days it was not really necessary to book a camping site. It was also pre-wildcard days.
You simply entered at a gate, travelled to your camp of choice, paid for a period, stayed for some time and left for the next camp, set up camp, not even announcing yourself at reception, coming and going as you pleased.
At the last camp before exiting you paid for the total number of days spent in the park which in those far off days was very cheap.
I remember some oldies staying at camps, especially Shingwedzi for the whole winter, escaping the cold where ever they came from.
Elephants were much scarcer then, it was not unusual not to see an ellie for days on end, but I think lions were more plentiful especially on the Zoo road. The road between Skukuza and Lower Sabie.
Happy memories!!!!!

Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:23 am 

2003 :D

My obsession was (like most I guess) to see a Lion. Didn't happen on that trip.

But since then, my viewpoint of sightings have changed tremendously. Yes, still love seeing the cats, but for me and my wife it is more about any interesting / out of the ordinary sighting.

KNP - May'14 done and dusted :(

Ah well on to the next planning phase.....

Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:53 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

My first trip was in 1969 as a std 7 student with my parents and some family friends who lived just outside of Nelspruit. We stayed at Pkop for our first night and can still remember the huge boma for the relocated rhino`s south of Pkop but did not see one.
The bug bit deep and true and have now been addicted for over 44 years and can only get there twice a year for my fix. :slap: :slap: :slap: :slap:

Nature does not hurry, yet everything is accomplished Lao Tzu

Shingwedzi 27/12/14 to 30/12/14
Satara 31/12/14 to 04/01/15
Lower Sabie 05/01/15 to 10/01/15

Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 10:03 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

It must have been 1959 / 1960 and I cannot remember anything about it, I was only one year old at the time. 8) In fact my dad used to tell me that they caught me in the Park, cut off my tail and raised me as their own.
I recall us going on day visits as a family at least once a month, sometimes every weekend.
Our gate of entrance was Malepene, which has been replaced by Phalaborwa gate. :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 2:16 pm 

August 2009.
Yes, I know, I'm a latecomer, compared to y'all, who happen to live near this heaven on earth.
We, SanPfan and I, entered at Orpen to stay the night at Satara, next day to Skukuza and the next day off to Crocodile bridge and then back to UK (couldn't take more time off work, unfortunately). Only three days, but sufficient to fall in love with the place and the surrounding area for what it matters. I have been back twice since. Last time on my own.

Haven't been the last couple of years. Bad economy here, and work-related changes forced me to abandon all plans, but as it has turned out, not all hope!

I'm planning a trip in early September '14. Most likely my last one, but that doesn't upset me. I'm going to ask a question about Mopani restcamp in another thread.

Enjoy your return trips to paradise KNP.

Xankie

Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 8:49 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

October 1995 was my first visit!! Why did it take me so long???? :slap: :slap: Well what can I say, I have been going back year after year :dance: :dance: Every year I re discover the reason, why I go back... :wink:

Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 2:23 pm 

I can't actually remember when was my first visit, but it was the only place we ever went to on holiday ! I remember the 1 December my Lil brother broke the car key in the ignition, we didn't carry any spare keys with us, so family from Barberton had to bring it 4 us 2 Malelane gate. To make a long story short, we had our OWN night drive with no guide from Skukuza- Berg en dal and we had sightings we will NeVER forget......... this happened in 1985,,,,,,,,,,
I've Benn with my kids when they were 3 weeks and 6 weeks old....... just couldn't stay away for so long

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next