Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Re: Help: newbbie to KNP
Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 11:35 am 

Did you look at the conditions for cancellations and modifications Here Esusino?

They only come into play if you cancel or modify inside the 30 day period.

Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 12:30 pm 

Elsa wrote:
Did you look at the conditions for cancellations and modifications Here Esusino?

They only come into play if you cancel or modify inside the 30 day period.

Perfect, i ve read it but was not sure on what it would happen if you cancel before the 30 days period
:)

Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 12:57 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Award: Sighting of the Year - Small creatures and/or insects (2012)
Lots of good advice so far to help you plan your trip.
If you hope to see as much as possible but like to stay in a less busy area, I would place Biyamiti at the top of the list.
We try spend some time here on all our trips and if you stayed for 3 nights could easily cover a great deal of the southern roads.
Along the way you could pop into Croc Bridge for a coffee (whilst this is a charming small camp, it is so very busy as it is next to the Gate and the traffic around gate opening/closing can be very heavy), also easy to include Lower Sabie on a drive and spend time on the deck, sit for a while at Sunset Dam as well as the main bridge close by.
It is quite possible to then drive from Biyamiti to Satara (whilst a big camp, it has such fantastic roads to drive around in the area, for a first-timer I think it is a MUST.
It is not too noisy in the evenings and you have the bonus of lots of birds around the camp and one of the best areas to go on a night or sunset drive).
As a third stop, and perhaps a good choice if you are going to clash with the timing of the half-marathon, may I suggest Letaba.
It was such a wonderful view across the river, the Elephant Museum, lots of interesting roads to drive out on during the day and it is close enough to Oliphants where you could stop for a lunch on the deck and soak up the best view in the Park.

Certainly 3 nights per camp is a much better idea - you can get more of a feel for the area, packing and unpacking too often is time-consuming and tiring and if you go out on a night drive, it can sometimes be very late when you return to camp and it may be nicer to have a restful day afterwards rather than dashing out to drive on to another camp.
The only time we occasionally slot in a one-nighter is if you are driving back to Jo'burg airport when you leave the Park and by staying close to a Gate (we'd suggest Pretoriuskop and leave via Numbi or Phabeni) it is not a rush to get everything done.
In fact we have managed to fit in a leisurely breakfast, load the car, have a drive around for 1-2 hours and then leave the Park for the airport.
If you are travelling onto another part of South Africa or flying out from Kruger Mpumalanga airport, this may not be needed.
Just a suggestion anyway.

Wherever you stay, travel safely and once you have been to Kruger, you will be hooked for ever!

Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 12:59 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Hi Esunino
Please take into accoun that all mentioned camps (except Crodedile Bridge) have no shops or restaurants
For groceries you have to buy at the bigger camps

btw, Satara is big but the layout of the huts are all in a circle so you have a less crowded feeling

Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:39 pm 

Hi guys

we are about to choose between those 2 routes could you advise on which is the best?

Option1:
- Croco bridge 3 nights
- Satara 3 nights
- Shimuwini 3 nights
- Swingwedzi 2 nights
- Olifants 2 nights

Is it possible to drive from Olifants to Johannesburg to catch an evening flight?

Option 2:
- Croco bridge 3 nights
- Satara 4 nights
- Shimuwini 3 nights
- Olifants 3 nights

Which one is the best considering we want to view the big five? I don t know if its better to stay more nights in each camp (option 2) or go further north (option 1). Maybe it take 1-2 days to understand where the best places to spot animals are...

How much is from Crocbridge to Johanessburg airport?

Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:47 pm 

My choice out of your options would be Option 1!
I think you will get a general overview of the park and in fact could even go all the way to the top, if required, day drive to Crooks Corner from Shingwedzi which we have done before.
Olifants with its stunning views.
Shimuwini, small camp with its charm and views from the camp itself.
Satara, 3 nights should give you a good chance to drive many of the roads in the area and a great chance to get good cat sightings.

Have a read through Driving to/from KNP

Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 5:30 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
July/August is very dry and arid. I am a bit concerned about the amount of time you will be spending north of Olifants. For a newbie it is rather long. Were you a birder, I would say, ''go for it''.

Mopani land is not a place for many sightings. The soil is relatively poor and there will be few grazers. These are the animals that tend to attract the predators.

Having taken newbies to the northern areas, I am always reluctant to suggest too long if the aim is to see as much as possible.

Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:06 am 

Meandering Mouse wrote:
July/August is very dry and arid. I am a bit concerned about the amount of time you will be spending north of Olifants. For a newbie it is rather long. Were you a birder, I would say, ''go for it''.

Mopani land is not a place for many sightings. The soil is relatively poor and there will be few grazers. These are the animals that tend to attract the predators.

Having taken newbies to the northern areas, I am always reluctant to suggest too long if the aim is to see as much as possible.

Thanks for the reply, in fact this is my main concern
I would like to avoid going too far north and seeing few animals :)

For mid july which is the best area to spot animals? I ve read that the south is very good (until olifants? Or i already too north? )

Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:30 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

We have also found we see more game from south of Olifants which makes a worthwhile northerly camp for your trip.
Although there are roadworks near Nelspruit, it's probably an easier run from Croc Bridge to the airport than from Olifants or places in the north.

Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:16 am 

I agree with MM. As a newbie I would not spend that much time north of the Olifants. In your option 2, I would replace Shimuwini 3 nights, with Talamati. August and September are the 2 best months for Talamati, which also meets all your requirements. At that time of the year you will see game, including cats and even rare game like Sable. It is quiet and you will encounter very few people. And best of all, from the hide in front of reception, game will come to you. That waterhole sees lots of activity between 7am and 10am.
It is also a comfortable drive from Talamati to Olifants when you need to change camps, with maybe a stop at Tamboti pick spot.
(Personally, I would do 2 days at Talamati, drop 1 day from Olifants and then ad 2 days in Letaba. It’s an awesome camp and easy easier access to a park gate to get back to Jhb.) but that is just me.

Either way, whatever you choose, it will be great. I find the south to be full of people, the central regions to be full of game, but also busy around Satara (Not as bad as the South) and the north, less game, less people but also I find the solitude to be more soul rejuvenating.

Talamati 7 & 8 Sept
Tamboti 9 Sept
Satara 10 & 11 Sept
Pretoriuskop 12 Sept

Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 1:59 pm 

Thanks again everyone very useful tips
What activities you suggets to do and where? I was thinking of night rides as the main one

As we will stay 1 month in Sto arrivando! What other sites are worth to be seen?

:dance:

Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:21 pm 

I just changed a bit the itinerary to spend more days into the south, here it is

Crocodile Bridge
Crocodile Bridge
Crocodile Bridge
Satara
Satara
Satara
Satara
Tamboti
Tamboti
Tamboti
Olifants
Olifants
Olifants

Is it good? It seems Tamboti is a very nice bush camp, do you agree?
Thanks! 8)

Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:32 pm 

Tamboti is a wonderful camp and I am sure you are going to love it.

Unread postPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 8:50 am 

Hi Esusino.

That itinerary looks great. Those are very popular camps, so it’s best to now book you accommodation as soon as possible. There is nothing worse than going through all this effort to plan a good itinerary, and then have to change due to lack of availability at the camps.

Enjoy.

Talamati 7 & 8 Sept
Tamboti 9 Sept
Satara 10 & 11 Sept
Pretoriuskop 12 Sept

Unread postPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 1:49 pm 

We are packing as I write, just 8 days to go before we get our Kruger fix.
You will love it no matter what the itinerary.
We usually go this time of year it's quiet and there is plenty to see.
Last year staying in a B & B outside the park near Crocodile bridge we went in for a couple of hours , taking some friends who had never been before and saw the big 5 in the first hour.
We then had 10 days in the park and the only thing we didn't see this time was the Wild Dogs.
This will be our 9th trip from UK our first was from Crocodile Bridge to Punda driving back to JNB for flight home and have been to all the camps and a few bush camps.
Satara is the least favourite camp, but we now book a hut on the perimeter which makes a huge difference, but for the game on the surrounding roads it's worth it.
We always stay at Mopani there is less game though we have always seen lions there so there must be some grazers as a place to stay its delightful with overgrown 'gardens' full of birds, huge lizards and some of the smaller animals, we had a family of genets within 3 metres of our bedroom window.
Needless to say I have booked that hut again in the hope we will see them again.
You will get hooked like the rest of us and need the fix at least once a year!