Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Post subject: Re: Roadworks between Nelspruit and Malelane
Unread postPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 12:18 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Used the D286 Mara Rd twice last week to bypass the roadworks. Very pleasant and quiet road, but goes through a nature reserve so the speed limit is 60 and you have to sign in at the boom gate. Since the road is quite narrow and steep in places with lots of sharp bends, I wouldn't recommend it for caravans, but fine for normal passenger vehicles, sedans, suv's and the like -- as long as you don't expect to travel at highway speeds.

Only problem I experienced on this road were speedsters bypassing me on solid lines and on sharp turns at 80 kms/hr or more (I refused to drive faster than 60 km/hr, not only because it is the (well-posted) speed limit, but because it goes through a nature reserve) - the Mpumalanga traffic cops could make a killing there with fines if they decided to set up shop there :whistle:

Unread postPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 8:47 pm 

Any updates from members who have dared the roadworks recently?

Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 7:14 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

NogardGio wrote:
ok but how long does it take to do the whole Mara road? ... just to see if and when it's worth it

About 30 minutes. Which is about twice what the N4 without roadworks at 120 km/hr would have taken, but still much better than sitting for 90 minutes at the roadblock in my opinion.

Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 12:01 pm 

We drove from Malelane gate to Joburg yesterday using the Nelspruit road. We were stopped for about 10 minutes at the stop and go and it took us about 10 minutes to get through that stretch of road once we got going. I have to say that I don't understand how it would take 90 minutes! I'm not disputing people who say that it has taken that long, just saying that someone hasn't done their job. Even if you got there as they closed it, with what I saw yesterday, I wouldn't say it could take more than about 30 minutes. Just my experience - hope everyone has good luck there!

Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 1:39 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Did the Stop and Go yesterday. Took roughly 60 minutes, plus a really slow passage through the area as there was a lot of trucks and an abnormal vehicle :( It seems the longer times happen during the middle of the day when "daily traffic" uses the road.

Also be vigilant about passing trucks, between the stop and go and Nelspruit there seem to be a few cops looking for easy money. A truck had moved over and my sister passed the truck next to a painted island, one possibly two tires touched the island and we were pulled over with a pack of other cars, given fines of R2000 with the officer dropping hints that he is looking for a bribe. :cry:

Bro & Sis Road Trip V2 in September

Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 5:38 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Carol g wrote:
yoda wrote:
Carol g wrote:
Also be careful after the toll towards Nelspruit, they have speed limits of 60, 80 then100, between the 60 and 80, the traffic police normally sit and pull off vehicles doing 80 :doh: Fine R1500 Very confusing if you don't see the signs

In December I got stopped just after the paper mill :evil:
There is a bend where the speed limit drops to 80

There too yoda, but I'm specifically referring to just after the Malelane tol gate

Ah ok.

It usually takes me a while to "get up to speed"!
After spending a week or so driving at 25km/h, anything faster seems uncomfortable.
And there is also the urge to slow down when seeing an animal, but along the N4, it's usually a cow :P

Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:22 pm 

Any updates on the Stop and Go between Nelspruit and Malelane. Will it effect us, we are leaving Kruger via the Crocodile Bridge Gate on the 12th of August. Any alternative road that we can take towing a caravan.

Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:05 am 

Rolypoly wrote:
Any updates on the Stop and Go between Nelspruit and Malelane. Will it effect us, we are leaving Kruger via the Crocodile Bridge Gate on the 12th of August. Any alternative road that we can take towing a caravan.

Hi Rolypoly, I took the N4 road from KMIA to Croc Bridge last week on a Tuesday (July 22nd) afternoon, at around 1.30pm, the wait was about half an hour-45 minutes. Took me two hours to get to Croc Bridge gate.

The next day (23 July) I departed from Malelane Gate at 3.45pm towards KMIA direction and got stuck for nearly an hour and twenty minutes, almost missed my flight back to Joburg. A 1-hour drive ended up almost two hours and 15 minutes, arriving KMIA at 6pm.

I guess you could always plan to leave earlier, give yourself a one-hour buffer for the stop-n-go. But if you are lucky you might just bypass it without any wait.

Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:31 pm 

Thank you Jing for the info. Think we will rather take the Kaapmuiden Road. Is Machadadorp sign posted on the Caroline - Kaapmuiden Rd, will then get back on the N4 at Machadadorp. We are towing a caravan and not really in a mood to be stuck on the Malelane Rd with the Stop and Go. :wall:

Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 1:57 pm 

Any idea when these road works will be concluded? Any chance that they will be finished by the end of Oct 2014?

Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 2:21 pm 

"The only national road link between Nelspruit, Malalane and the Lebombo Border Post to Mozambique is being upgraded along the Crocodile Gorge section of the N4 toll road with an additional 8 kilometres passing lanes will be constructed.

The road will also receive a new asphalt surface. The total cost of this project is R287-million and the duration of the contract is expected to run for 20 months. Road works started at the end of April 2013."

Quoted from a reliable industry resource.

Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 2:23 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Still a long time before it's finished I see