Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 9 posts ] 
 Post subject: WHAT DID I MISS
Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 2:37 pm 

What is your best missed sighting - i.e. something you only spotted after you got home and went through your photos.

Mine was complaining that we hadn't seen crocodile and when we got home and checked the photos there was a large croc lying on the bank sunning itself - if I find the photo I will post it. :lol: :lol:

26/10/14 Tsendze
28/10/14 Letaba
30/10/14 Satara
03/11/14 Maroela
05/11/14 Satara
07/11/14 Berg-en-Dal
10/11/14 BOO HOO TIME - Off Home

Post subject: Re: WHAT DID I MISS
Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 2:58 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
:yaya: DSouter. A green snake in the tree behind us at the Mooiplaas Picnic Spot having picnic brunch. I guess it is quite possible to miss a few sightings, some never to be known, not even afterwards with the aid of a photograph :)

Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:00 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

1. Klipspringer, near Olifants Rest Camp.

Okay, so it was about 36 degrees in the middle of the day and in thick bushes with not a rock in sight and we were tired after a long drive from Shingwedzi (and still having to go on to Satara) ánd we were still euphoric after having just spent 20 minutes with a beautiful male leopard, so I just took a picture, thinking it was a steenbok that was standing still for a change, but still .... HOW do one miss a klipspringer!? :shock: :lol:

2. Yellow-billed egret, at a dam south of Satara

This was a lifer for me at the time, and I did not even realize it! At this point in my birding career I wasn't even really aware that there was any other white egret except for great and little egrets, so I ticked it off as the umpteenth great egret of the week, and only found out at home that it was actually a yellow-billed egret :lol:

Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:19 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
FAC Member (2012)
Not in Kruger, but Richtersveld.

As per Dabchick, we saw dozens of 'Cape white-eyes' along the river, and only long after we had got home did somebody tell me they were Orange River white-eyes. I checked my book and they were correct. :redface:

Never take birds for granted especially in areas you are unfamiliar with.

Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 1:36 pm 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
We came across a traffic jam, and on inspection found it was a Rhino, which we could barely see. :whistle:

I always refuse to fight for a sighting at any traffic jam, plus we were a bit short of time to get to the gate, so just weaved our way through the traffic!!!!

After we had gone about a kilometre, I suddenly realised that it was almost certainly a "Blackie".............my first ever. :slap: :slap:

Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 7:59 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

4 years ago
Heading back to Lower Sabie on the tar from Mlondozi at the end of the day
Saw a reddish cat in the distance on the tar
To far for a photo but close enough to see a rooikat

Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:15 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

While parked along the Letaba watching some tuskers cross the river, we heard a loud commotion in the tree right next to the car. I didn't see it from the drivers side, but it was a small spotted genet chasing a squirrel The both leapt to the ground and disappeared into the tall grass. We don't know the outcome... :hmz: Mrs. Stark and my youngest Starkling saw it all.

Proof positive that the Kruger experience includes the small things as well as the large. :)

Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:14 pm 

We were having to drive from Olifants to Jo'Berg via KMIA where we were getting the damaged tyre on our hire car replaced, so we were tight on time, considering we couldn't go more than 40 km per hour. So no stopping :wall:

Of course we had some best ever sightings. Male lion right by the road, take photo move on. Hyena pups at their den, take photo move on. Chameleon crossing the road, take photo move on. Martial eagle in tree, take photo move on.

Only when I got home and checked the photo did I spot the leg and hoof of the ME's prey.

IMG_0828 by saraf2011, on Flickr

I'm thinking a steenbok?

Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:28 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

best sighting missed: a pangolin mating with and aardvark.... :tongue:

on a serious note, best sighting missed were of an elephant giving birth. Only pitched up 10 minutes later and all the people who witnessed it showed me the :cam: . Got to see the baby though.

And on another time, missed a python that caught an impala lam. When I got there, the python were still wrapped around the impala, right in the middle of the road. Due to the traffic building up and people getting to close to them, the python released his meal and moved of into the bush. Next moment vultures came down and a hyena came to finish it up.

I always ask the question while driving: Ive got 2 eyes looking into the bush, but wonder how many pairs of eyes are looking at me/the car. Would be scary to know me think!!

The currents that shape our lives, flow from the attitudes we nurture everyday!