View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 95 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Skukuza airport
Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:22 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

iLoveMeerkats! wrote:
Thanks Leanawel,
No doubt there is loads of controversy over re-opening the airport, but I must say that the idea of being able to go directly to the park after (for us) about 40 hours of travel time (driving, flying, layovers) is heaven. We are always in such a state when we arrive at the Nelspruit Airport, I am amazed that we make it to the gate! Pretty scary what with driving on the "wrong side of the road" and all. Look forward to trying out the new airport.

I couldn't agree more. :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:28 pm 

DinkyBird wrote:
So you have to be planning just one more trip :dance:

Ohhhhh my dear DinkyBird - I have been catching up on the forum and dreaming. I can not stand it!!!!

Sooooooooooooooo longing for a Kruger Fix!

Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:30 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

iLoveMeerkats! - agree with you! The re-opening of Skuz Airport is really a wonderful happening. To land in Kruger will be amazing :dance: :dance: :dance: - touch down and relax from the start :lol:

Plan your next trip :thumbs_up:

Leana

Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 11:14 am 

The airport is no doubt targeting overseas visitors ..... less than $15 is fine. But for locals its highway robbery.

Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 1:14 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

fee - it really is. I think the airport is about 5km from Skuz.

Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 6:15 pm 

So, since they will have cars available @ the airport and at Sku camp.
I am hoping they will have our requested car at the airport, we prefer not to pay $30 for us to take the shuttle to the camp.
However, the AVIS online reservations site does not list 2 seperate locations (Airport & camp), just one, which I am told is the camp location.
Automatic cars are probably in short supply, the choices are definitely limited.

Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 6:36 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Even for an overseas visitor, $15 per person each way is a bit steep. But, I guess they have a captive audience. :evil:

Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 7:48 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

ctm7943

I think you must just email Avis and confirm. But I think you can relax. While waiting to speak to the agents of Avis at the airport, they were busy hiring out a car to a couple who has just landed. The car was parked at the airport.

Leana

Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 8:08 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

I am sure if you have booked and are flying in they will have it at the airport for you. I will try to find out tomorrow just how things work.....time permitting.

Have you read the gate leaflet? Do you KNOW the regulations?

Completed over 5 years in Kruger in my caravan.

If I were normal I wouldn't be me!

Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 8:30 pm 

ecojunkie - thanks for the assistance...hopefully we will be able to get to the bottom of this.

I have emailed AVIS, SA and hopefuly will receive a prompt response.
I don't know how they can determine who will be picking up @ airport versus who will be picking up at camp. Currently, there is only 1 location code (SZK) in the system, whick is for the Skukuza camp reception location.

And we would not like being forced to pay an additional $30 fee to pick-up our car @ the camp due to an erroneous asumption.

Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 7:13 am 

iLoveMeerkats! wrote:
Thanks ecojunkie, guess I am not the only one wondering about the new airport and picking up the car there.

I am also waiting to hear back from Avis on picking up from the airport v's the camp.
I also have the problem of flying in on a public holiday (Aug 9th) and the Avis office is closed at Skukuza on that day. I am hoping the airport office will be open though - fingers crossed.

Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 7:46 am 

Looking forward to feedback from you all - then I will book my November trip. When I tried Avis few months ago they did not seem to have a clue of the plan going forward. Let's hope now that the flights are actually landing they have a better plan - if we need a car Avis is the only option and it will be really nice to be able to fly to Skuks rather than Nelspruit. However Nelspruit does have a far wider variety of cars options

Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 9:57 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

ctm7943

:D I have no idea, but if I remember correctly, it was a Toyota and yes, it certainly was a "high" vehicle.

Hope that you have received an answer from Avis, they are running between Skuz and the airport, the two offices at the airport were still without any furniture.

I am SURE they will have your vehicle ready at the airport - everybody is so excited about the new airport and it seems as if everyone wants to do their best to please the guests and to make a success of this.

Ecojunkie - can't wait to hear your feedback today :D

Leana

Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 6:05 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Right! Went to the airport.....it is still something of a building site around the terminal building and the little shop was stocking up, Avis office is still waiting for desks to be delivered before being operational at the airport. All looks good inside though with check-in desk on the left as you walk in, and a concierge desk on the right down a short passage.

I was able to talk to one of the airport managers and get the information I wanted from her, and then drove to Skukuza and got more information from the Avis manager.

1. If you book a vehicle from Avis it will be waiting for you at the airport - worse case scenario is a shuttle to the camp, but that is free for all who have booked a vehicle. Booking in advance means your choice of car (or a better one) will be available.

2. Budget do also provide vehicles, but their depot is outside Kruger gate so a little more difficult, but again they will usually bring the car into Kruger to Skukuza or to the airport for you.

3. A shuttle will be operational for those who need to get from airport to camp or vice versa and that is R150/person. Yes it is steep, but they want to discourage back-packers for example who just pitch up on a plane and then expect to be ferried around or try to hitch with other guests (it was a problem when the airport was open before).

4. To indicate that you want the vehicle at the airport rather than the camp you must put your flight number on the booking form, if there is no flight number they will presume you want the car at camp. (But even then I suspect you will get a free ride into camp - I did not ask about that as I have only just thought about it :redface: ).

I think that is all I needed to find out???? The manager did advise that anyone wanting to leave a car for a return (eg staff) rather leave the car at Skukuza and get a lift out because of the building still going on. In time they may have parking facilities for folk to leave cars.

Have you read the gate leaflet? Do you KNOW the regulations?

Completed over 5 years in Kruger in my caravan.

If I were normal I wouldn't be me!

Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 6:09 pm 

Thanks EJ, :clap:
sure that will have cleared up a lot of confusion. :thumbs_up:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 95 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next