Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 87 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Skukuza airport
Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 5:14 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

"The runway at Skukuza Airport in the Kruger National Park has reopened while the new terminal building, currently under construction, is on track, Airlink has advised.

Rodger Foster, Airlink’s CEO, told Tourism Update the new terminal would be completed in time for the ceremonial opening on June 2 when Airlink will launch services to Skukuza from Cape Town International Airport and OR Tambo International Airport, Johannesburg. The Airlink scheduled services will replace current charter services between OR T ambo and Skukuza, Foster added.

According to Foster, the daily number of flights into and from Skukuza will be limited and strictly controlled. “All future charter operations at Skukuza will require prior authorisation by Skukuza Airport Management Company, which will not be granted without indemnification and written undertaking to comply with requisite operational procedures and standards for safety and environmental considerations,” he said.

Once the new terminal was open and Airlink’s services were in place, lodge transfers would primarily be by road to the lodges within proximity of Skukuza airport, while air transfers would be offered by Federal Airlines to lodges further away, said Foster.
"

Source: http://www.tourismupdate.co.za/NewsDetails.aspx?newsId=71706

Johan

Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:02 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

I must admit, it sounds rather attractive; flying in to Skukuza, have your car ready and waiting, you are in the park and off you go! Maybe one day when I win the lotto I could afford it!
Right now I can book a return flight to Europe for less than a return flight from Cape Town to Skukuza.
(but then the direct flights to Kruger-Mpumalanga are also quite pricey!).
Maybe one day....... :roll:

Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:21 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

I looked at the SAA website yesterday and searched Adelaide to Skukuza return in November and got a very good price! :dance: Booked a little car with Avis listed as pick up for Skukuza reception.

November solo trip organised.

I admit that I've done a turn around regarding the airport. For me now, embarking on my first solo KNP trip, the ability to fly direct into the park and have the car right there is really exciting. And the flight costs are cheaper than our usual flights to Phalaborwa. :)

Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:11 am 

Quote:
I tried to look online to get an idea of the costs of flights, but couldn't find anything on their website :hmz:

How did you book?

Hi Yoda,

I booked via the SAA website. The flights cost me 1456ZAR per person

Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:02 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

fuzzy wrote:
Hi Welsh_ash.

I've just looked at prices from OR Tambo to Skukuza return & the cheapest I could find was R2938 per person inc taxes.

Was your flight return or one way ?

Would love to fly in to save time but not at those prices as for 2 of us it would be R 5876.00
Cheers

Was going to be my question as well. The cheapest return ticket from Cape Town to Skukuza is just short of R 5600.

Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:11 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

It might depend on the month and the week day you choose. Also, how many seats are already booked out. There are always varying prices of seats on any flight in economy.

When I searched for OR Tambo-Skukuza the other day I remember it being around $150 (Australian one way) or R1500ish. Which was actually cheaper than I expected.

Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:37 pm 

Also I find booking through-flights on one ticket/booking is usually cheaper than the individual legs separately.

Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 12:59 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

If you are wanting to search SAA flights to Skukuza from OR Tambo only and you are from outside South Africa you have to choose South Africa on the very first page of the http://www.flysaa.co.za website when it asks for your location. If, for example, I choose Australia (as that is my location) it will not give me the option of subsequently searching for that particular flight. If I put in South Africa as my location I can then do the search.
A random search for a return flight in July/August OR Tambo to Skukuza just came up with R2983.

If I want to search for a flight such as the one I want to undertake later in the year....Adelaide - JB - Skukuza return, then on the first page when asked for location I put in Australia and I will be able to do that search as I am not looking at RSA domestic flights but an international flight originating in Oz and ending in Skukuza.

Hope this helps. As saraf said; buying all flights on one ticket can work out cheaper and in my case that proved so. It also gives peace of mind for onward connections should there be any delays between flights.

Unread postPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 7:56 am 

WELSH_ASH wrote:
Thanks Johan.

My car is booked for Avis ready for my arrival into Skukuza airport on 30th October :D

Counting down the days already.....

So Avis will have their cars available from Skukuza Airport? I wasn't sure if this would be the case or if you would have to make your own way to Skukuza camp to pick your car up from there?

Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 12:39 am 

WELSH_ASH wrote:
Hi Jumbuck,

As far as I know I will have to pick my hire car from Avis at the rest camp and not the airport.

I am going to email them and try to confirm exactly how I can get to Skukuza camp from the airport without a hire car! :?

Regards,
Ash

Hi Ash
Please let us know how you go with Avis.
I did ask them a few months back but they told me they had no idea as it was too far ahead. I will be there is August. I am sure there will be a shuttle service running if you can't get the car from the airport itself or maybe a brisk walk (sprint!) would be a good start to the holiday.

Unread postPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 9:01 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Good day WELSH-ASH

Can you please give me the contact details of the person you have spoken to in connection with the transport from Skukuza Airport to Skuz?

We have booked our tickets to fly in from Cape Town to Skukuza Airport in July. We are staying in Skuz the first night, where we will be picked up by a nearby lodge. So we do not want to hire an AVIS car.

But I have phoned, trying to get info - nobody seems to know about this transport. :doh:

Thank you!
Leana

Unread postPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 10:29 am 

Hi Leanawel,

It was Mari who arranged this transfer for me. Mari replied to my mail which was sent to the following contacts:

akani.shivambu@sanparks.org
mari.morland@sanparks.org

Hope this helps!

Regards,

Ash

Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:19 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

iLoveMeerkats!

Just returned from Kruger and visited the new airport because I will have the privilege to fly to Skuz in 2 weeks time.

Good news: the airport is operational for scheduled flights from 1 June. I watched an Airlink plane landing and departing.

The building is 99% completed, paving and decorating still in process. Avis has 2 offices there (still without furniture :D ) and is moving in shortly. I spoke to two of their agents who were operating outside on the parking area last week. There is also an Avis office at Skuz reception as usual.

Avis has a shuttle service to Skuz, R150 pp or one can hire a car at the airport. SANPARKS do not have any shuttle service - they have decided that it will not be practical :cry: . Avis is the only transport service at the moment, but they are friendly and very helpful.

Everyone is very excited and the airport is looking just great :thumbs_up: Really can't wait to fly in and witness the progress.

Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 1:02 pm 

R150 per person!!!!! :evil:
Skukuza airport to the camp must be about 3 km - Sorry, a right royal rip off!!
I just wish they were more car hire companies besides Avis for competition.

Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 1:33 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

fee - yes very expensive :( . We were also bargaining on the R50 pp (see post of ASH above) - but no luck. :wall:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 87 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next